The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

It tickles me that the collective press spit the dummy when he was playing on snapchat, but then he spits the dummy in the press conference.

His salary would be a fraction of what it is if the world's media didn't pay any attention to F1.

He's easily the most interesting of them off the tarmac.

Best race for ages IMO, even some proper racing in there :o

Note how Lewis dicked all over Vettel and was a second a lap faster than Max ........... until he got close to him? See my earlier comments about dirty air affecting downforce, if he had been able to run in turbulence he would have caught Nico as well.

Still feel that if Nico wins the championship it will have been handed to him, rather than him having to work for it but I imagine he wont mind too much :lol:

• Like 6

c'mon Nico

Lewis has the playboy life style and can get of the line, not the first time he's been swamped at the start either. Nico at this stage is the more complete driver.

Edited by davey_83

Lewis has the playboy life style and can get of the line, not the first time he's been swamped at the start either. Nico at this stage is the more complete driver.

What? He had a bad start yesterday, but hes also had 5 engine or power unit failures and associated penalties for fixing them. On the rare occasions that Nico hasnt found himself at the front he has failed to work his way up the field like Lewis seems to be doing every race and Nico cant get close to him in the wet, he never has.

"Luckier" Ill happily accept, but more complete driver? No way - Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo and even Alonso are all a class above, if they were in a Merc and Lewis had the bad luck he has then the championship would be over by now.

• Like 4

Nico is the least deserving winner of an F1 championship in my lifetime. Even Button deserved his more than Nico.

I don't disagree that Nico has driven exceptionally well for him this year, and certainly he's got the hang of the clutch for launching better than Lewis, but in terms of driving quality I just don't seem him as anything special at all. Complete driver? He's barely a complete personality.

• Like 7

Missed it, TBH, I've been unwell for the last few days and getting up early didn't appeal to me. I've only missed a handful of races since the BBC started showing races live in 1979 and every race live from around 1990, last one I missed was the 2010 Canadian GP. My enthusiasm has waned a bit in the last few years and one team dominating doesn't really do much for me.

Pete

For the last few years speed wise Nico is every bit as fast as Lewis, ie fastest laps and poles are very close iirc. Lewis moans like a baby at bad lucky "my side of the garage blah blah blah" then the very next race when he wins, my team of guys are the best...... What?! He's cracking up FACT.

Didn't button overall score more points than Lewis when they were team mates just saying.....

Motorsport is rarely an even playing field, tyre failure/punctures, mechanical issues, being punted off the track through no fault of your own, ifs, buts and maybes dont come into it, deciding whether someone "deserves" a championship is just fanciful justification of why "x" didnt win.

Personally i think there are better drivers than Lewis, but i would never say he didnt deserve his wins.

For the last few years speed wise Nico is every bit as fast as Lewis, ie fastest laps and poles are very close iirc. Lewis moans like a baby at bad lucky "my side of the garage blah blah blah" then the very next race when he wins, my team of guys are the best...... What?! He's cracking up FACT.

Didn't button overall score more points than Lewis when they were team mates just saying.....

He did, and still no-one in their right minds thinks that Button is anywhere near as good as Lewis is.

In the previous two years, Lewis has wiped the floor with Roscheat every single time it mattered. This year he's had a spectacularly crapload of reliability issues, and even then he still managed to pull back a near-50pt deficit. How many times did Nico come back when he was behind Lewis by the same margin? He's a good driver, but he's not a patch on any of the others that Doc mentioned.

So in all honesty, do you think Nico would be be winning this championship if Lewis hadn't had all the mechanical failures?

• Like 2

Oh absolutely, but he's not quite as bad as he was when he nearly punched Massa in the face :lol:

At least this time I can kinda see why he's annoyed. If both Mercs had suffered then fair enough, but to lose in the way he has done is pretty galling.

Lewis would do better in NASCAR #rollingstart LOL

Wont get $100 mill for 3 years work though. :scare:

Oh I dunno, I reckon he'd get very close to that given that most of his money comes from the advertising stuff he does now, rather than his racing salary. Being based in the US with more exposure in a US favourite would only increase his exposure.

• Like 1

Lewis would do better in NASCAR #rollingstart LOL

Wont get $100 mill for 3 years work though. :scare:

Oh I dunno, I reckon he'd get very close to that given that most of his money comes from the advertising stuff he does now, rather than his racing salary. Being based in the US with more exposure in a US favourite would only increase his exposure.

Ask any average American to name four F1 drivers. Good Luck.

Hamilton ah Davey Hamilton ye our Indi driver ye heard of him.

Edited by Bandit

He'll never go to NASCAR though. Or any other racing. Once F1 is over for him, he'll mostly likely do some music or absolutely sweet FA.

I can't see Lewis driving any other discipline, I really can't.

He had a try in a NASCAR in Tony Stewarts

Edited by Bandit