The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

I would. It's been gifted to Roscheat by an appalling lack of engineering quality on one side of the garage.

Germans wanting a German World Champion, not had one since Shue.. :shrug:

WOOPS.. I forgot Vettel, 4 times Champ until Jetpilot reminded me..

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

I would. It's been gifted to Roscheat by an appalling lack of engineering quality on one side of the garage.

Yeah, given the number of Merc engines on the grid and only 1 person suffering repeated failures, something not right.

Think you better add to the below list ;)

http://www.telegraph...ies-part-1.html

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

At least we were entertained to a couple of great laps between Ricciardo and Verstappen, as up to then it was another pretty boring race, and then a well deserved race win for Ricci, given it was starting to look that the new boy at Red Bull was getting all the luck.....in addition to his natural skills.

• Like 1

I was subscribed to this thread from a comment early on, i never frequent it but obviously get the alerts and have a quick read in the email notification. The words dull and boring, even fell asleep, get used quite a lot, i am curious as to why most keep watching? I am not having a pop, just curious.

I was subscribed to this thread from a comment early on, i never frequent it but obviously get the alerts and have a quick read in the email notification. The words dull and boring, even fell asleep, get used quite a lot, i am curious as to why most keep watching? I am not having a pop, just curious.

Maybe because most of our wives aren't interested in a quick game of " hide the salami " just after lunch. :p
  • Like 2

I've stopped watching, for the most part. I cancelled my Sky sub in August, so I'm limited to crappy C4 coverage anyway, and in a couple of years I'll have nothing.

The trouble with F1 is that when it's good it's unbeatable, it's just that that doesn't happen very often. Maybe with the rule change next year, but I doubt it. It's like football: If it's on and I'm at a loose end I'll watch it, but I won't go out of my way to see it at all costs.

• Like 1

Indeed, it's all fiddling but it's all they've got right now.

Wider tyres and more downforce will see much faster cars, and they'll be more physical to drive too. That could mean that the less technical but more physical guys can get amongst it, potentially.

I watch it cos its something to watch about cars... and at the moment its free on channel 4. I also watch all the touring car races as well, and watch the DTM when it gets put on youtube. I'd watch the WEC as well, but the endurance nature means its quite a commitment.

To be honest, a lot of racing isn't that exciting... DTM and Blancpain sprint and endurance only have a few overtakes going on... WEC has the difficulty of different classes on track at the same time to contend with, but its hard to get hold of for free.

The only championship that offers consistently good racing is british touring cars, which has the perfect combination of lots of manufacturers, success ballast and reverse grids giving unpredictability and saloon racing where a bit of contact doesn't result in a retirement and a penalty for the next race from overzealous stewards. I mean, this season alone had 12 different winners from 30 races, that's a huge amount of variation.

EDIT to add, blancpain sprint, DTM, WEC and british touring cars all have some for of Balance of Performance, which is what gives good racing. Formula 1 has lots of rules and regs, but no BoP, which is why the top three teams are always the same. but as I say, something to watch on a sunday afternoon!

Edited by brillomaster

I guess its very difficult to level the playing field, but it does always seem there is a stand out car, ferrari, redbull, brawn, merc. I hope it improves for the avid fans.

I know you have to be into bikes to watch but the motogp has been spectacular this year, the last 9 races have had 9 different winners and at the start of

season anyone of three were in with a shot of the title.

its really not difficult to level the playing field, its just that F1 is stubborn and refuses to. its only really good to watch if you're an avid Mercedes fan and are happy to see them win time and time again with very little contest. Must suck to be a Ferrari fan at the moment. F1 is severely conflicted, they want to keep the historic teams being the most successful, but are happy to ditch the historic races and go to random far flung countries where the most popular method of getting about is an ox.

I'd rather watch GP2, but you cant find those races to watch for love nor money, which is a real shame as they sound great, go really fast and have decent racing.

I'd ditch F1 if they started faffing around with reverse grids and ballast and all that nonsense, same reason I don't watch BTCC. F1 has been and should always be about the best drivers in the best teams in the best cars winning. Okay, so now the car has a MASSIVE say in it, but you can't say that the last few championship winners aren't some of the best drivers out there (Button perhaps the exception), and even if the car is good a rubbish team won't help (thinking Ferrari team calls in the last couple of years).

but you've already ditched F1 by dropping your sky subscription... you should really try the BTCC again, what on earth made you stop watching it in the first place? (and don't say Jason plato is a knob, there are loads of other charismatic drivers if you don't like him)