The 2016 F1 chat thread

Ebized

^^ Agreed Dan :thumbs:

I am really taking a disliking to the attitude of Nico, he seems so petty and immature, constantly throwing the toys out of the pram unless things go his way. On the other hand I feel that Lewis has matured, I suppose that is a direct consequence of success (and potentially less pressure). I really can't fathom how the two of them will over come this latest spat. Surely neither want to leave Merc at the end of the season.

Seb is clearly frustrated at the moment, he seems to be snapping at everyone. Last season he was a bundle of joy not so much now, although he has had torrid luck. It pains me to say this, but I think Ferrari will finish behind Redbull this season.

WHo's you money on for Monaco?

Seb is clearly frustrated at the moment, he seems to be snapping at everyone. Last season he was a bundle of joy not so much now, although he has had torrid luck.

It's actually most amusing to see/hear him throw a paddy everytime anyone dares to even try to overtake him. Long may that continue. :lol:

• Like 3

maybe but i don't think it was entirely clear cut who was at fault

Both made mistakes, although I believe the overriding fault to lie with Nico :stir:

I did think that both were partly to be blame. It reminded me of I think Bahrain a few years ago where Nico pushed both Alonso and Hamilton off the circuit. I think Nico's issue here is he is realising that Hamilton not finishing or running into problems is his only way to reach the title. First qualy back in proper action and Hamilton did kind of show him who is boss, even Lewis' Q2 lap was good enough for pole. That and the countless times where he has been outraced or cracked under the pressure of being chased by Lewis. I think he is a really good driver but is just missing that final bit to make him good enough to beat Hamilton, Vettel etc on a regular basis.

Any way my vote for Monaco goes on Lewis. Maybe a podium for Verstappen whilst he is on a high.

Edit: Agree Nico always looks miserable, I find it mildly amusing, it's like he is always slightly miffed as to how he is being beaten again.

Edited by jowen7448
  • Like 1

Seb is clearly frustrated at the moment, he seems to be snapping at everyone. Last season he was a bundle of joy not so much now, although he has had torrid luck.

It's actually most amusing to see/hear him throw a paddy everytime anyone dares to even try to overtake him. Long may that continue. :lol:

Whilst I agree it is amusing I have to say I am little gutted. I thought last year's Seb was a breath of fresh air in comparison to his previous petulant attitude and for the first time was starting to warm to him a little (ignoring the impressive Monza torro rosso win when I was impressed an pleased for him). Bit annoying that I have to start disliking him again.

• Like 1

Lewis lost out in the first corner and understandably wanted 'his' position back, but there was more than the first lap to that and given most on here consider he is the better driver and providing his car was up to the job then strikes me he was in too much of a hurry.......a trait he has come unstuck with in the past.

Just trying to be objective here as the stewards decided is was six of one and six of the other, rather than any clear fault being found.

its hugely disappointing for race fans that Lewis felt he had to make a move on turn 4 of lap one... make you wonder why the race distance is 66 laps at all. yes he did have a lot more speed coming out of turn 3, but even so, pretty stupid for both drivers to be so aggressive and take each other out.

I think I mainly blame nico for completely closing the door... with lewis having so much more speed it will either end in lewis driving into the back of nico, leading to new front wing for lewis, and possible puncture for nico, or lewis having to take to the grass, being unable to brake and then collecting nico at the next corner.

And in response to Jowen earlier, yes I really am hoping for Reverse grids, pretty much all the best races are when a fast car has to start from the back and work his way through the field - can you imagine how good a race it would be if both nico AND lewis had to start from the back of the grid (assuming they don't take each other out at the first corner)?

I think instead of having 21 championship races, they should have 15 championship races, and 6 exhibition races, which would allow them to experiment with ballast and reverse grids and 20 lap sprint races and so on without it affecting the championship.

Nico had the right to close the door, but he did it far too quickly and aggressively. He clearly didn't see Lewis until too late, so made a desperate swing across the track to block him. If he'd done it a bit slower Lewis would've had to back off, and would've had the time to do so.

Its F1 and sometimes @*!# happens at 200mph and especially when split second judgements have to be made. Like Brundle said on Sunday you cant have all the success, trophies, titles and champagne without the odd bit of @*!# happening. Its a racing incident.

The problem with reverse grids every race is that it would take away the surprise/excitement element and the race with fast drivers from the back would lose its special element as it would be the norm. I agree they make some of the best races but for me it's the fact it's unusual that really adds to it.

So with the Mercs out, big credit to Max to get his first win having driven faultlessly with RB upping their game and with the Ferraris struggling on this circuit, but shame we were denied seeing if Max could match the pace of Daniel Riccardo after they made the wrong tyre choice in his case........

I am sure most are recognising Max has huge talent and will be a future champion but I look forward to some good battles this season between him and Daniel, who is not only quick but whom I rate as currently one of the best overtakers in F1.

Totally agree with that. Ric really surprised me when he moved to RB but been pretty impressed with him. Some good intra team battles to be had at RB I'm sure. And maybe a couple of fireworks given both seem pretty determined to outshine their team mate. Begs the question what will happen to Sainz though over the next few years, not a tradition of Torro Rosso to hold onto a driver more than a few years and if the RB remains competitive next year which I suspect it will, I can't see a space opening up there for him.

I saw similar analysis that was on sky this afternoon. To me this makes it look more Nico's fault as his concentration was elsewhere, not fully focused on the positioning and relative speeds of the cars around him. Either way bet he doesn't make that error again in a hurry.

Nice combo footage there Beavis. I don't really know how Nico expected Lewis to brake. There wasn't time when he moved over and then once he's on the grass, on the inside of him, he's only going one way and that's in a straight line towards him. Some fairly extremely retardation going on there and I'm not talking about brakes.

Would it have happened if Nico'd been in the right setting and Lewis didn't have such a speed advantage? Probably not.

Would any one of us gone for the pass on the inside if we'd been karting and catching the kart in front at the same rate. Probably!

The problem with reverse grids every race is that it would take away the surprise/excitement element and the race with fast drivers from the back would lose its special element as it would be the norm. I agree they make some of the best races but for me it's the fact it's unusual that really adds to it.

Reverse grids, how would that work? I can see that GP2 and Touring Cars have reverse grids of a kind but they have 2 races over the weekend. Can't see how it would be done in F1.

Pete

Reverse grids, how would that work? I can see that GP2 and Touring Cars have reverse grids of a kind but they have 2 races over the weekend. Can't see how it would be done in F1.

Pete

To be clear I am in the anti-reverse grid camp. I think if you were going to employ this for F1 you would have to award full points for whatever qualification method was dreamed up, whether that be the qualy system we have now or some sprint race qualy system. If you didn't award full points then you would get teams aiming to qualify sub-optimally in order to benefit from the reverse grid.

Pete

To be clear I am in the anti-reverse grid camp. I think if you were going to employ this for F1 you would have to award full points for whatever qualification method was dreamed up, whether that be the qualy system we have now or some sprint race qualy system. If you didn't award full points then you would get teams aiming to qualify sub-optimally in order to benefit from the reverse grid.

I suppose F1 could try the Indy type qualy, only difference would be that drivers just get one qualy lap and the order they go out in is drawn by lots. I still think it wouldn't make that much difference apart from the odd time that weather conditions change.

Pete

We had a qualy where the order was decided prior to the event before didn't we? And if I remember correctly one of the reasons it was scrapped was because of changing conditions being unfair. Unless I am remembering this wrong.

Not sure if we'll see any big battles between Verstappen and Ricciardo reaching any kind of conclusion if the last race is anything to go by ;)

Why?

I was suggesting the Red Bull deliberately cocked up Ricciardo's strategy to give Max the win. Not 100% serious though, although not 100% joking either :)