Rattling/ knocking sounds when driving over uneven road.

Red_Nic

2004 350z 112000 miles on the clock.

I have just mot'd and it passed. I specifically asked for them to check what was causing the rattling /knocking sound I hear when going over little bumps/uneven roads. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

They couldn't find play in anything from suspension arms etc.

because of the cars age /mileage, I changed front and rear anti roll bar links , but it hasn't stopped the rattling.

I then replaced the front shock absorber struts, which also hasn't stopped the rattling.

I took it back to the mot centre and they put my car on the mot testing ramp to aggressively shake it. You can't hear any rattling /knocking in the workshop.

I can only hear the knocking when I'm driving around 20mph, over uneven road.

The knocking sounds like the mot guys should be able to diagnose the cause, but we can't hear it in the workshop.

It's been making this noise for over a year now, but it's just started to bug me. The sound is not getting worse. I owned this car since 2005 so I know it shouldn't rattle like this.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be please? Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Red_Nic

On the very odd occasion my coilovers need adjusting as they start ticking on roundabouts or knocking on uneven roads, it completely disappears once I've softened / hardened them using the control knobs. Not sure if you're on C/over or not, so only a suggestion.

Only thing I would mention is I had this. Bought the kit for it and took it to the garage. They had a look and it wasn't that it was steering column nuckle joint that was causing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk