Recommend me: Wheel Cleaner

chirag1988

So I ran out of Iron X over the weekend. Made good use of it and it seemed to work well.

Just wondering if there's anything else I could try out this time round? Also I'm looking at getting new wheels with multi spokes so would also look at getting an alloy wheel brush as well.

Hit me with your options guys :)

Iron X isn't a wheel cleaner, it's a fallout remover.

I use Envy Evolution as a wheel cleaner, and follow it up with Envy Iron Awe which I found to be a touch more aggressive in removal than Iron X itself. I've also used Espuma Revolution as well, which is just as good as the Envy stuff but more expensive. As for wheel brushes, I've tried a few but the EZ Detail brush is my go-to brush of choice. I keep smaller brushes handy for the details on the wheel, but that baby is just awesome.

• Like 1

I use the Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel stuff. Spray it on and work it in with the supplied brush if you have any hard to get places. Leave until it looks like your wheels are bleeding then hose or jetwash off. Gets rid of all the muck/fallout/iron particles etc off my wheels. Then I just wash them using same wash as i use on my car. Once dry I then seal with FK1000 wax and that protects them nicely until next time I wash.

At the moment I only get the spare time to wash my car once every month and i find the above seems to protect them & keep them looking like new.

I use the Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel stuff. Spray it on and work it in with the supplied brush if you have any hard to get places. Leave until it looks like your wheels are bleeding then hose or jetwash off. Gets rid of all the muck/fallout/iron particles etc off my wheels. Then I just wash them using same wash as i use on my car. Once dry I then seal with FK1000 wax and that protects them nicely until next time I wash.

At the moment I only get the spare time to wash my car once every month and i find the above seems to protect them & keep them looking like new.

+1 for Bilt Hamber, as it's pH neutral so wont damage your alloys.

Wheel Woollies for wheel brushes, bit expensive but good!

Wheel cleaner - soap and water. ;)

Brushes - Wheel Woolies. The three pack and one of the angled ones for getting behind the spokes.

Fallout remover is a whole other topic - currently almost everything has beaten Iron X in my (ongoing) test, Car Chem Revolt is currently my choice.

• 1 month later...

Once a year give the wheels a good clean with a good bleeding wheel cleaner like Bilt Hamber's Auto Wheel, which is like their fallout remover Korrosol, but with added degreasers as well, then with a good tar remover. Then give them a good sealing/coating so that all you will need is soap and water. The less harsh the washing mechanism, the longer the wheel coating will last. A good coating like Gtechniq C1 will last a year, something like FK1000P will last about 3 months, but this is obviously dependent on mileage.

You shouldn't have to use harsh cleaners on sealed or coated wheels.

All bleeding products that have a fallout remover element will smell bad to some extent, some have a scent to disguise, though the base will always be rotten eggs.

Just tried out the Bilt Hamber stuff, used it on the missus megane (so excuse the kerbing!) as my wheels are still pretty clean. I don't have a pressure washer or hose (yes I bucket wash and rinse the car by hand each week!) so had to toss a saucepan of water over it, anyway:

Before wash:

IMG_3271-2_zpsnafs14rv.jpg

A sped up video of the process, I left it on for a couple of minutes:

Rinsed without any agitation of the wheel so spray on rinse off (no pressure washer or hose), still a fair bit of dust and dirt around the edges of the wheel:

IMG_3275_zps8yo4ljl9.jpg

Another spray and use of a brush supplied with the cleaner and another rinse resulted in this:

IMG_3276_zpsuhzvg22g.jpg

Then a wipe down with a microfibre:

IMG_3277_zpsn5oflazb.jpg

Overall a good result, I am sure a pressure washer would make for an easier life (and I didn't bother with the inside of the wheel nut cavities) but seems to do a good job, and water based as well. I would also possibly consider buying the concentrate as I bought a pre-diluted bottle to try it out and imagine that won't last long.

Chirag how was the BH stuff? I took receipt of some on Friday but havent had the chance to try it yet?

Haven't had a chance to it yet Col, but looking forward to giving the zed a good wash when I get back ;) I'll report back with a pressure washer wash - yours in fact :lol:

I was just going to say I just use normal car shampoo and they come up nice and shiny, but then mine are powder coated and black!

Shampoo will get rid of the superficial dirt and make them look shiny, so looks fine with the naked eye. The point of products like BH is that it goes red/purple, this is the product removing the micro particles of hot metal that embed themselves onto your wheels during day to day driving which will be left behind after your wipe down with wash mitt and shampoo. BH is PH neutral so not harsh and will not damage wheel finish.

Chirag! its funny, since I moved I could possibly use that pressure washer now as its easy to get parked outside, oh how I spend many an evening pining for my little blue pressure washer :lol:

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

I was just going to say I just use normal car shampoo and they come up nice and shiny, but then mine are powder coated and black!

Shampoo will get rid of the superficial dirt and make them look shiny, so looks fine with the naked eye. The point of products like BH is that it goes red/purple, this is the product removing the micro particles of hot metal that embed themselves onto your wheels during day to day driving which will be left behind after your wipe down with wash mitt and shampoo. BH is PH neutral so not harsh and will not damage wheel finish.

Chirag! its funny, since I moved I could possibly use that pressure washer now as its easy to get parked outside, oh how I spend many an evening pining for my little blue pressure washer :lol:

Any fairly strong chemical product, water based or not, will degrade a sealant more than a normal car soap would. I know the function of what these wheel cleaners are for, but if you properly clean and seal your wheels, soap wand water and a wheel brush will get it clean enough. The benefits are two fold. One, you save time, two, these wheel cleaners are really expensive so you save a load of money too.