VQ35DE Rev-up - Engine Ticking Noise

ThreeFiddyZ

Any update on fixing this tapping? My rev up does the same and can't for the life of me figure it out!

I have this on my DE. It stopped for a while, then came back. Right now its at a mid level of volume. Ive found oil level seems to affect it.

• 7 months later...

Ive recently switched to Millers CFS 5w40 after talking to Abbey, Horsham devlepopments etc and must say Im completely dumbfounded at how much nicer the car is to drive. Its quieter, and more importantly so much smoother. 

It does take a smidge longer to warm up, and slight drop in MPG, but these are all welcome trade offs for a car thats so much healthier to live with

• Like 1

That's encouraging news! 

So has your ticking noise now stopped after changing to a slightly thicker oil? 

When hot 5W - 30 is quite thin, so it wouldn't surprise me if 5W - 40 helps. 

Does anyone know if 5W - 40 would do any damage? I can't think why it would, I'd just have to wait longer for the oil to get to temp. 

Edit: I'm starting to think that the previous owner of my car may have ran slightly thicker oil to address the problem previously (before my ownership at 55,000 miles) and when I had my first oil change and replaced the oil with 5W 30 at 60,000 odd miles its reintroduced the problem. 

I wonder if 5W - 40 would also reduce my oil consumption. Its not bad, but it's not brilliant either (0.5 litre per 600 - 800 miles). 

Edited by ThreeFiddyZ

• 2 months later...

Just for reference, I ran my VQ on 10w40, the actual difference in viscosity is minimal and won't make any difference other than adding a few lbs to the oil pressure, I would agree that changing to other makes or types of oil IE semi or fully synthetic cam make a difference to the sound of the motor.

However excessive follower clearance can cause the noise, as can a restriction in oil flow to the cams, and another often mistaken tic noise can be attributed to the fuel pulsation damper.

sounds like a worn valve bucket to my ear it is definitely at cam speed. Only way to really check is to pull the cam covers off and check the valve clearances if one is a long way out of tolerance it is a major job to change, front cover etc off to allow the cam chain to be removed to allow the cams to be removed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Tricky and Mark. 

Mark, I'll be having my next service at Abbey so I guess you'll be the first to find out if some thicker oil helps (before I perhaps take the plunge and get the clearances checked next or spend more money). :headhurt:

• 1 year later...

Hi all  I have an 05 DE and also am now worrying about a ticking, first noticed it when at low revs reverberating off walls etc at the side of the road at the back end of the year, though not noticeable with the roof up/windows closed. Now waking the Z up for 2019 and spent some time with a bit of hose pipe to my eartrying to locate it. Most noticeable at the back of the engine toward the passenger side, particularly so on the fuel rail. I therefore replaced the back fuel damper but has not made any difference :-/ Could not really hear it from the front (with the hose pipe) so don't think it is the time timing chain. The car has only done 37k miles with annual oil changes, albeit as a weekend car when driven, it is generally "well exercised"

I have some wynns engine flush and mobil 1 5w30 to try, but not really holding my breath. There seems to be lots of posts and clips of similar ticking, but I can't ever seem to see anyone reaching a solution, cause or cure. Surely there must be a zed expert who has followed this through to final conclusion/fix. 

I am actually starting to wonder if it is just normal noise for this motor. Has any one got any sound clips of a  350z de running hood up new, or knows that it is 100% OK. I keep reading about noisy hydraulic lifts etc but then read the z doesnt have lifters... 

Can injectors make a tick?

ThreeFiddyZ I look forward to your next update - I will post the outcome of my engine flush and new oil! Thereafter wondering what to try next. 

Cheers Rich

Hi all regards the Tapping Noise !!

I had the same on my Z which is a 54 plate GT Manual with 88.000 FSH turns out after much investigation a hydraulic lifter !!

So faced with the delema of a strip down and rebuild costly :(

so opted for a JDM Jap parts replacment engine with 35k miles a lot cheaper believe me the service is A1 engine purrs best option and cheapest  :)