potential new zed owner

Hi my name matthew I'm hoping to be getting a 350 very soon but there's just one thing bothering me. I have done a bit of searching for common faults ect and one thing that's off putting is rust. I am currently restoring a classic mini and I have had enough of dealing with rust. So my question is is the problem that bad or is it just a few cars that are not looked after properly. The main area seems to be the rear arches.

My car is 10 years old and I just got a full respray. I never got the respray because of rust but just because I wanted a change.

When the bodyshop to the car apart there was a sign of rust anywhere on her.

Obviously if you buy one that been kept beside the coast you are more likely to come across it but I've never heard of people having trouble with rust.

So as long as rust it not there I can just use stuff to prevent it. I heard it's double skinned so possibility of getting some cavity wax in there. I'm in the process of cutting that much rust out the mini I would cry if I spent 8 grand on a car and found a scab of rust 6 months down the line

I have been to look at one today. Looked spot on but I did notice under the car there is no underseal around the boot area and bits of rust on the main chassis beam running from one rear wheel to the other. Is this normal. I just find it strange that the rest of the car is undersealed

I've had conflicting advice in the past regarding underseal - many people swear by it, some see it as an unsightly mess that ruins the underside of cars for no benefit (given that really nice cars shouldn't be driven in slushy, salt-laden roads in the first place.)

A compromise is therefore clear-underseal, which kind of does both - most imported zeds I've seen have had their arches undersealed & that's exactly what I'll be getting done next week :-)

Edited by -G-

My car is 12 years old and has no rust. It was under sealed at some stage, which may have helped. I use my car all year, so expect some rust eventually. It is just a result of the climate we have and a maintenance expense to eventually address.

12 years and no sign is good going in my opinion though. Like any car, depends how it has been maintained.

Hey Matty, welcome to the forum. My Zed passed its 10th birthday last year and I have no rust on the car at all. With regard to rear wheel arch rust, in my experience this is down to owners not cleaning the inside lip of the rear arches especially and road crap and muck collects in this lip and when damp is a breeding ground for tin rot. The next time you wash your Zed run your fingers around the lip and you'll see what I mean as you will more than likely be pulling many years of collected crap. My Zed is my DD come rain or shine and a little work on your behalf can prevent this problem Hope this helps :D

• Like 1

Hey Matty, welcome to the forum. My Zed passed its 10th birthday last year and I have no rust on the car at all. With regard to rear wheel arch rust, in my experience this is down to owners not cleaning the inside lip of the rear arches especially and road crap and muck collects in this lip and when damp is a breeding ground for tin rot. The next time you wash your Zed run your fingers around the lip and you'll see what I mean as you will more than likely be pulling many years of collected crap. My Zed is my DD come rain or shine and a little work on your behalf can prevent this problem Hope this helps :D

yh I noticed this with the one I looked at. Ran my fingers around the lip I chucks of gunk fell out.

• 2 weeks later...