The Caravan Catcher v3.0 (370z) - MY17 Nismo!

mattross1313

Did wonder why you sold up so soon!

Very nice nismo! What kind of deal did they give you brand new?

My OH works at our local Nissan dealership and gets access to staff deals every 3 months. Usually stuff like £500 off a Juke etc. But there was a substantial discount off the RRP, 0%, great servicing deal and RAC cover :D

Too good to pass up :lol:

• Like 1

First weekend with the car since collection - spent all of yesterday either driving around, or fitting some of the mod's I've been stock piling at the office! Gave the car a good clean this afternoon too :)

First order of the day was to install the priority item - Rory the lion :D He gets moved around from car to car with me!

7EA85F1B-6E4F-48A4-92FB-F1E140C2B89C.jpg

Fitted a pair of COB LED sidelights. Left bulb is stock, right bulb is LED. Looks pretty blue in the picture but its bright white in person and matches well with the headlights. I also bought a pair for the rear numberplate lights but they were too long to fit in the holder :dry:

1F895FBD-F3E5-4969-8EC5-438532262F9E.jpg

Bought these frosted Nismo stickers ages ago, so popped them on the rear view mirrors. Simple mod but I really like them!

8E2E376A-009F-49E1-AD74-A35EDB78104B.jpg

I did this next mod to my old 370 and really liked the look. It's just some red tint film to cover the clear section of the rear lights.

133C8401-B9DF-42D1-B08D-1E15E18AC2A6.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday afternoon (Day 3) I also ticked off an all important visit - The Zed Shed!

Popped in to catch up with the guys, within minutes Gizmo was up on the ramp and the guys set about their task with the usual speed and abuse :lol:

I picked up a set of Motordyne ART Pipes from JamesJunior (top bloke!). The pipes have been sat on my desk since before Christmas, so I have been staring longingly at them until the car arrived! These pipes are a work of art.......see what I did there..... :tumbleweed:

3F11628E-22EC-443C-B2AC-5D49F16E9BB8.jpg

Obligatory pic of Gizmo in Zed Shed II.

62B34BF9-D3D6-40B7-A2DE-0D27F566FCB8.jpg

Chris & Bob abusing each other as per the norm.

B7EE62BF-6ED0-4150-95B4-9C1DE0B1333E.jpg

Bang, before you know it they are all fitted :D

The pipes have a few hundred miles on them so I'd say they are pretty much 'run in'. The car definitely has a lower tone, and a bit barkier on acceleration. I am still only using part throttle and low revs for now whilst the engine runs in, so I would imagine it will get better as the system 'soots' up :D

4F3EB4DF-4EEF-428C-96A4-7DE3D53EA424.jpg

470112A6-BF35-4E55-B15C-E53CB671EAB8.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, can I ask where you bought these? Or was it like done off the forum and in private? Because I've been looking for Motordyne ART pipes and shockwave or anything good ever since I bought my 370 but have yet to see anything at all so I'm going to sell my Fast intentions carbon muffler cat back and buy a cheaper but quieter ARK Grip. I'd have snapped those pipes up if I had seen them but I guess I'll have to buy them brand new. Lovely car anyway, would I be correct in saying the shockwave might be your car back choice? I've considered it myself but I think it would be too loud with ART decats. I expect your car sounds amazing as it is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never mind I see he sold them on here months ago 🙂

Yeah picked them up from a chance PM sent to James. I thought he had some other (cheaper :lol: ) decats he had trialed but turned out to be these bad boys :D

ATM I'm interested to see how the system sounds once it's had time to bed in. I don't want to remove the Nismo system if I can help it as it's all part of the extras!

Time will tell once the engines run in and I get chance to give it some large :D

Edited by mattross1313
  • Like 1

Do let me know if you might sell the ART Pipes, otherwise I might order some tomorrow. I have a question; would the ART pipes turn on my EML? If so, can I disable it or trick it, or can I just safely ignore it for now? My car has been mapped at Abbey with a HFC and FI cat back so I'm wondering if that map auto disabled the sensor and that either way, the AFR should not be too far off?

Thanks

• Like 1

Looks great with those rear tinged lights!

Drop me a pm if you got that spare set of sidelights and i can whack them in the gtr !

Drop me a PM man and I'll get them out for you, chuck me a quid to cover my stamp :lol:

Do let me know if you might sell the ART Pipes, otherwise I might order some tomorrow. I have a question; would the ART pipes turn on my EML? If so, can I disable it or trick it, or can I just safely ignore it for now? My car has been mapped at Abbey with a HFC and FI cat back so I'm wondering if that map auto disabled the sensor and that either way, the AFR should not be too far off?

Thanks

ATM mine haven't thrown the EML. But it could just be a matter of time. I think James said they threw the light on his car a few times, but he's also running a CBE if that makes any difference! The ART puppies do have a reeeally long pipe to try and distance the sensors to which helps.

I won't be making a decision on selling them for a month or so yet whilst the car beds in. But may want more noise!

Ah right ! They claim to be quieter than unresonated HFCs, would you agree with that ? Or have you not had them? I assume you're running stock CBE, in which case I would recommend keeping them. They are the best decats you can buy IMO and I believe decat/HFC frees up more performance than a cat back alone.

Thanks

I seem to recall that as part of the remap process on mine Mark disabled the sensor. Prior to that I was getting occasional CEL warnings as a result of having the Stillen CBE and Cobra High Flow Cats fitted. That was about three years ago and I haven't had a CEL light since.

Ah right ! They claim to be quieter than unresonated HFCs, would you agree with that ? Or have you not had them? I assume you're running stock CBE, in which case I would recommend keeping them. They are the best decats you can buy IMO and I believe decat/HFC frees up more performance than a cat back alone.

As above from Sipar, some guys get the EML light removed during remap. But I have still heard of cars with this mod that do occasionally still throw the light. I think James' car did this?

For the un-resonated pipes I don't have much of a comparison so can't say either way on this. Yeah ATM I am running ART test pipes and stock Nismo CBE. It is pretty tame right so so not sure what I'll do in the future.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, ideally I'd have been patient and bought one 2nd hand. But the market is just too slow so I'm gonna order one brand new today. I'm really looking forward to the difference it makes, I know that once map tweak it will provide more power than my HFCs but I'm hoping that as it claims, it will be a bit quieter than my HFC which I'll sell afterwards. Also I want to hear the difference this Helmholtz resonator makes - what they are famous for. Once installed it will help me decide which cat back I would like in the future, for now I'll stay with my Fast intentions CBE which should be an interesting and rare combo as I don't think many have this cat back in the UK.

Matt, from all my research I've done so far, I could have told you that adding the ART Pipes alone would still be "tame" as you put it. But like me, you can now decide which cat back to go for. I.e do you want it a bit louder than it is now, or much much louder! I watched countless videos although an easy way to see which cat backs are loud etc is to just look how many silencers they have and how large they are. The motordyne shockwave being a loud option as it doesn't have much silencing, the Ark Grip in comparison has 2 additional large mufflers so you'd expect it to be a fair bit quieter.

Matt, from all my research I've done so far, I could have told you that adding the ART Pipes alone would still be "tame" as you put it. But like me, you can now decide which cat back to go for. I.e do you want it a bit louder than it is now, or much much louder! I watched countless videos although an easy way to see which cat backs are loud etc is to just look how many silencers they have and how large they are. The motordyne shockwave being a loud option as it doesn't have much silencing, the Ark Grip in comparison has 2 additional large mufflers so you'd expect it to be a fair bit quieter.

Agreed, it's just a task of finding the right one should I go for a CBE. To be honest my last Z ran stock cats with the ARK system and at times that was very loud (for me anyway). On warm idle it was really quiet but you you give it a boot full it does get loud. Another option I looked at before Christmas was short tails but I'm told they are super loud.

Might look at the Cobra or similar as I think they were always a sensible option (on the 350'z at least). I might also look into the mid pipes, but keep the Nismo Back.

I've not looked into any of those half systems but it seems like you want something not vastly louder than OEM. For me I want the nicest sound possible whilst still being reasonably quiet. So for me I feel the systems with the Helmholtz chambers sound the best, and there's only 2 or 3 options. Although even with your ART pipe alone, I think any cat bask you buy will sound pretty good. I just think straight through silencers alone don't do much other that turn the volume up or down so to speak. The Helmholtz resonators purposely change the sound and frequencies to make a more desirable sound and emphasising the character and note of the V6. But it's subjective of course, I've seen the video of a Nismo with only a backbox delete and think it sounds fantastic inside the cabin. The Nismos definitely sound better than regular Zs like mine and I think more effort is required to get them sounding good.

Also have you noticed any gains yet? Some of the reviews I read said they noticed an immediate and noticeable increase in power/torque, or are you still taking it easy with the engine?

As above from Sipar, some guys get the EML light removed during remap. But I have still heard of cars with this mod that do occasionally still throw the light. I think James' car did this?

For the un-resonated pipes I don't have much of a comparison so can't say either way on this. Yeah ATM I am running ART test pipes and stock Nismo CBE. It is pretty tame right so so not sure what I'll do in the future.

Its a shame they made the Nismo exhaust only slightly louder than the standard car. It's a nice bit of kit, just too quiet.