The Caravan Catcher v3.0 (370z) - MY17 Nismo!

mattross1313

Nice mate some subtle but nice mods :thumbs:

Let me know how the DAB module progresses (and the cost) :)

It must have been the dab aerial cable being so close to the dash cam power cable. Now that's the other side of the car it looks/sounds fine.

I've heard of this before, when I was researching mine - I believe there is a suppressor of some sort that may also be an option

It will be fine when you get rid of that super silent zorst and put something LOUD on - road noise nop longer a problem :thumbs:

I'm looking forward to this, I think he'll enjoy it much more with a cat back like Ark Grip ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted Matt, let me know on the price when you get a mo :thumbs:

Right, so DAB is working well......other than around where we live. It's hardly the middle of nowhere but there are no major towns near us so I can only hope it will get better over time. Looking on the map there is (or was) a mast not far from us but it might not be any good. But around Ferndown it works well. Off to Southampton tomorrow so will see how it behaves then and report back.

Cost wise, I am just confirming that I can still get Lisa's discount on additional units, but it is around £150 for all bits needed. Installation is pretty painless, few hours tops. Let me know if you fancy one and I'll get a firm price :D

I had a cracking deal on an exhaust from ioneabee recently, and with some lucky logistics it finally arrived with me on Sunday! It needs a little polish up, and a quick weld repair to one if the mid pipes.... But I'm now the proud owner of a Berk Technology CBE. A pretty rare find in the UK by all accounts!

First decision is whether or not to continue running the ART pipes as I fear they may be too loud. Will find out soon!

I bought the kit as a catback system, but once I got it all in the living room it appeared to have a pair of cats anyway :lol:

..... I'll get my coat!

945E4D9E-A97F-41EA-A564-FD04B85F480A.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well if I'm honest, I think that system is almost identical to my Fast Intentions in terms of the size of the silencers, only they're positioned differently. If I'm right then you're looking at the same volume as my setup, which is a bit loud for me but it's only cold starts than are really loud, any other time, even WOT it's not too bad. I may be wrong, in outwit judging in the number and size of the silencer boxes. The majority of other cat back systems are similar in this way only varying slightly in size or the back boxes being position either parallel like this, or in a V angle, like Ark Grip. The first set of silencers are barely any wider than the 2.5" pipe itself, the same with my FI. However the Ark Grip has both those sets plus an additional two Helmholtz resonators, the same ones that help to quiet down your ART pipes only larger which is why I'm aiming to trade for a hopefully quieter Ark Grip. Looks like you got a good deal nonetheless and it may be perfect for you to be honest. It's definitely not a loud cat back as cat backs go. But not the quietest either and if used with decats.

OMG Matt, i just had a quick read through this entire thread.

I am taking delivery of my 370 Nismo in April. The idea was that as its on PCP and under warranty i won't touch it (in terms of mods) for 4 years. However.. you have just given me SO many ideas!!

I currently have a S14a 200sx and a MK3 MR2 to keep me busy modding and emptying my wallet.

Where are you based? that dealership looks familiar.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but how do the mods affect your warranty?

I love the tints and the a pillar wrap! car looks so slick. Also love the foglight, any links to the mod in detail as i am new to this forum. (Don't show me.. i don't want to do it!!! LOL!!)

I am taking delivery of my 370 Nismo in April. The idea was that as its on PCP and under warranty i won't touch it (in terms of mods) for 4 years. However.. you have just given me SO many ideas!!

I currently have a S14a 200sx and a MK3 MR2 to keep me busy modding and emptying my wallet.

I love the tints and the a pillar wrap! car looks so slick. Also love the foglight, any links to the mod in detail as i am new to this forum. (Don't show me.. i don't want to do it!!! LOL!!)

Re mods and the warranty id be very careful and read the small print as i bet it wouldn't take much for Nissan to not honour the warranty.

• Like 1

Well if I'm honest, I think that system is almost identical to my Fast Intentions in terms of the size of the silencers, only they're positioned differently. If I'm right then you're looking at the same volume as my setup, which is a bit loud for me but it's only cold starts than are really loud, any other time, even WOT it's not too bad. I may be wrong, in outwit judging in the number and size of the silencer boxes. The majority of other cat back systems are similar in this way only varying slightly in size or the back boxes being position either parallel like this, or in a V angle, like Ark Grip. The first set of silencers are barely any wider than the 2.5" pipe itself, the same with my FI. However the Ark Grip has both those sets plus an additional two Helmholtz resonators, the same ones that help to quiet down your ART pipes only larger which is why I'm aiming to trade for a hopefully quieter Ark Grip. Looks like you got a good deal nonetheless and it may be perfect for you to be honest. It's definitely not a loud cat back as cat backs go. But not the quietest either and if used with decats.

Thanks Nub, I'm hoping it will be a good compromise of volume and sound.

The rear boxes on the back of the Berk system are bigger than my old ARK system, but don't have the chambers. Time will tell, but I will more than likely remove the decats at the same time.

Got a lot going on right now but hoping to install as soon as possible when things calm down.

Thanks Cray, I'm down near Bournemouth and the dealership was Westover.

Have you done much to the MR2? I've more than my share or MK1 and MK2's over the years, wonderful cars!

I like to keep myself busy with moddding but try to keep things subtle / OEM where I can. Let me know if you have any questions on anything :)

I think the gloss black A pillars are my favourite mod to the car, they transform the look!

Warranty wise, I agree with Will that I am taking a risk with Nissan here should anything go wrong *touch wood*. But I do not plan to do much do the car that would effect any serious claim, should arise. I won't be messing with the engine other than the exhaust, nor will I be messing with the suspension.

I purchased the fog light from eBay seller CarLabTuning, I Hong Kong company I think. This fog light is available from many places, and comes in some very similar designs. It took maybe 2 weeks to arrive, but given the substantial cost difference (near half price) compared to a few that sell this in the UK I was more than happy to wait. They also provide smoked, red, or combo lens colours :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-Smoke-Lens-Rear-LED-Fog-Light-Brake-Backup-Reverse-09-up-Nissan-370Z-/361567536924?fits=Model%3A370Z&vxp=mtr&hash=item542f1ac71c

I think I will leave mine alone until the warranty is up then lol!

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good bit of kit. Wondering if I can get one to fit the s14a now ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not sure about your experience with Nissan, but the guys i am dealing with are useless!

The mats have never even been mentioned, and now i have asked, i have not had a reply!

Another question, does it come with Power Fold mirrors?

They come with power folding mirrors just like the 350 you have to push the button on the driver door. My mats and thick boot mat were all included.

Hey Jack, that's good to know! My Mrs has a merc and you can set it so that the mirrors fold as soon as you switch of the ignition.

Pressing a button is better for me as I am a control freak lol!

As for mats, nissan want to charge me 68 quid. They don't want to even give me any fuel :o

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
They come with power folding mirrors just like the 350 you have to push the button on the driver door. My mats and thick boot mat were all included.

Pressing a button is better for me as I am a control freak lol!

As for mats, nissan want to charge me 68 quid. They don't want to even give me any fuel :o

I went for the mats, I don't think I paid that much but luckily had some staff discount. If they were asking that much I would have likely just got some nice ones online somewhere.

For fuel I would be glad they don't give you any as their drivers only have fuel cards for 95RON. Or at least they do at the dealership I used. They just chuck in a 1/4 of a tank when they bring the car to the dealership for handover. With this in mind we took the car to our local Shell once it came off the transporter and brimmed it with V-Power. This way the drivers didn't have any room in the tank to put crap fuel :D

However this was another perk of having my SO work at the dealership as we took the car to Shell on trade plates prior to registration, not many people would have this sort of access.

For the folding mirrors, I now always use a little trick another member posted about ages ago. When you park up press the button to fold in the mirrors and turn the car off as normal. Then before you leave the car press the button again to unfold the mirrors (they won't move until you next start the car). So when you return after your shopping and start the car the mirrors 'automatically' unfold. It's a little thing but I always grin at it :)

Did any of you go for scratch proof paint? I have. It is insane the way it works ;)

What's this all about then?

Edited by mattross1313

High time for another update here. Not had much time to do much to the car for a month or so as been busy with work and general ‘stuff’. But 2 good jobs have been done so here are some pics.

First up I managed to complete the sound proofing in the boot area. It hasn’t made a massive difference, but certainly helped reduce the general road noise when cruising at 40+. Don’t get me wrong the car is still very loud, but every little helps as they say!

I went for the two layer approach using both 2mm Silent coat tiles, and 8mm (I think) mass loaded tiles. Took a few hours start to finish and everything went back to gather as expected - some panels were a squeeze though as there was an extra ~10mm of stuff between them and the car.

The boot area is now pretty good for sound levels, but it has now made me more aware of other cabin areas that need further sound proofing. Such as the footwells and under seat etc. So when I have some money I’ll continue working through the car to reduce road noise. It does add weight but I think it is offset by the comfort levels.

Stripped out

C9D29A1C-0A14-4DD7-BBDC-DC26E7C80123.jpg

Step 1

AEE720FA-036B-4A91-B2CC-F44412AD6BF1.jpg

Step2

78770035-E026-46E8-A003-5905F484F38D.jpg

The miles are certainly racking up on the Nismo now. Took a trip ‘Up North’ to the JAE Reps meeting in P’boro, then up to visit family in Nottingham. The following weekend saw us take a trip near enough to Doncaster to get view (and purchase) a new car for the SO. Here they both are parked up together on the way home. A very tasty (and very rare) White Evo X with manual gearbox. Comes loaded with plenty of carbon extras, and a remap. The only snag is it makes the Nismo look like it has cream paintwork :/

meg.jpg

Next up was to fit the Berk Tech exhaust I’ve had at home for a while now. I had the centre pipes repaired as there was a crack on one of the welds, gave it a quick polish and it was good go!

So I put a call into The Zed Shed and got myself on the waiting list……then boom! A sudden cancellation saw me get an appointment yesterday evening.

Load up the car (Snug!!)

4C8439DE-AD9D-4E3C-8586-8EC9DB05D0A0.jpg

Up on the ramps

913DE990-936C-478A-9383-D29F99DD86F3.jpg

Back on the deck

1C09F5A7-E0C5-4065-8BA0-98A561E33558.jpg

287FFE0D-2187-44F4-94A0-BB634E3AD295.jpg

7F1C04AF-1157-4B8D-9433-358A56E8B8D8.jpg

A470B497-350D-45C9-8548-76E398189FB1.jpg

My initial plan was to return Gizmo to OEM Cats, and just run the CBE exhaust. However time was not on our side last night so we took a vote and the ART Pipes are still on the car, along with the shiny Berk CBE.

From The Zed Shed to home is around 15 miles……yet some how my drive home last night was almost 70 miles :lol:

As always, massive thanks to Chris & Bob for giving up some time and facilities to help me out :D

On idle, gentle driving and motorway cruising the setup sounds incredible. Then under WOT the sound is insane! Super loud and gives a sound to match the looks! I need to live with this for a few weeks just to see how I get on as it’s certainly loud! I’ll try and grab some videos once I bust out the GoPro :D Off home to Wales for Easter so this will give some good seat time to see how the volume is.

However for now it is very addictive. I am leaving the car in gear for far longer whilst driving around just to make noise. It will no doubt hamper my MPG’s but that’s not why we buy these cars!

That’s all for now, thanks. Matt :D

• Like 1