The Caravan Catcher v3.0 (370z) - MY17 Nismo!

mattross1313

Few minor updates from last night. I dropped the car back down the wrappers as there were a few bubbles to remove. Whilst there he fitted a light tint sun strip, looks great! With that being done to the front I occupied myself by removing the rear wiper and washer jet. Looks so much cleaner now on the back :D

4EB28B18-2550-4707-A847-0038A549AC84.jpg

3D2D94F6-C636-43A7-AE28-EDE5A81147C3.jpg

Seems oh so long ago now when you were following Andy and I around in Wales in your blue 350 :)

Great looking car Matt, must say I was tempted by A black one of these a little while back but I like going topless too much. They do look awesome. Enjoy

ooooooo Matron

(go on say it - in the voice, you just have to :lol: )

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Post weekend update!

Spent Saturday afternoon and pretty much all of Sunday working on the car, starting to get through the items I have been stock piling at the office. Not many left now! Had a good time working on the car, even if it was a little frustrating on Sunday.

Saturday.

Start with the easy job - clean and install some K&N drop in filters. Bought them from a member before Christmas, in great condition. Hopefully get a little improvement whilst retaining the stock air boxes.

0A14DA90-7A0C-41FA-8448-BD5777452063.jpg

Next up I took a gamble on a DAB module from Nissan. Another Nismo owner local to me bought one and said it works well with the stock Nav system. It didn't look like 'too' big of a job, so I set about getting to work. Removing all the centre console and stereo components was pretty straight forward, along with the A pillar for the arial wires.

I took this opportunity to fit the hardwire kit for my cash cam also (looks so much better now without wires dangling infront of any passengers). It runs down the passenger side A Pillar, under the footwell and crosses to the driver side fuse box. I have piggy backed off the cigarette power fuse so the camera comes on with ignition :)

The initial install of the DAB unit went very smoothly and everything seems to be working great. So I set about putting the car back together, which may have been a little premature. As on the drive to work this morning I kept getting drops in signal, then after a while it just stopped all together. So I will need to revisit this at the weekend.

3749198C-A612-49C9-998B-FD1337C3677E.jpg

3BEDB2FE-1ABB-4479-AEFD-38E380B0013B.jpg

3EC0A7DE-4369-40FA-9D0B-F6F18F98F177.jpg

Sunday.

Early start as I wanted to install sound proofing to the boot floor and wheel arches. The road noise from the Nismo seems just as bad as my old 370 despite Nissan adding 'improvements' over the years. So I ordered up some 2mm alu sheets along with a load of 6mm sheets of closed cell foam. The boot panels all came out pretty easily and I made a pile in the living room.

CABEB79A-584A-4968-B739-659ABDD65955.jpg

FA98D2B6-A46C-41FA-AB81-709EEBBFBCBF.jpg

It didn't take long for curiosity to get to the better of these 2! They had a great time :)

AE19780F-A253-4D5A-9441-6F7842187A57.jpg

Then I had a quick brain wave....oh, whilst the boot is empty I can 'quickly' install the LED fog light I ordered ages ago. So I grabbed it from the man cave and set about removing the old fog light. No pictures of this as it's been done to death on the forums. I got the new unit fitted nice and easy, then ran the cables up to the rear light so I could tap into the wires. Feeding these cables took far too long and cut my hands to shreds, but we got there in the end. A quick test of the fog light showed no signs of life and after much faff I figured I'd blown a fuse. So took the fog light back out (and wiring) and checked wires, footwell fuses, even the IPDM in the engine! All good.....

So I had some lunch, when I came back the wires were working as expected!! No idea how or why, so I set about re-installing the running cables (again, hands...pain etc). I got it all wires up just as the light started to fade and things almost* worked as expected. That will do for today!

No lights on, just smoked rear fog

28309A37-3D2D-4E1A-8583-F43861EA569A.jpg

Side light

74846743-37ED-4E05-8C07-AB8751B89118.jpg

Fog light

E992A635-EF71-429E-A868-586FE4B16908.jpg

Reverse light

D6923233-120A-4579-9BA5-5809642A1AD7.jpg

My original plan and wiring diagrams (scrap of paper!) was to use the brighter red light for both brake and fog. Using 2 diodes it is a pretty easy circuit. However once I had it all wired up on the car the fog light would not work correctly. Brakes were fine and the fog would light up bright red on pedal press. But when turning on the fog light it the bright red would come on for a second, then turn off (even though the fog light was on, on the dash). So I whipped out the diodes and will run foglight only for now until I workout how to bring the brake lights back in.

All in all, a good weekend, just need to work out whats up the DAB module.

Cheers, Matt :D

• Like 1

Nice mate some subtle but nice mods :thumbs:

Let me know how the DAB module progresses (and the cost) :)

I do like a nice subtle mod :)

Yeah I'll let you know how I get on with the DAB. I'm going to try re-earthing the aerial tonight just as a matter of course. It might be that it has a bad earth and is giving crap reception.

what are your intentions on the boot,is it to make it bigger, now that you have taken the guts out and just clip in a can of tyre foam? B)

Plan is to fit 2 layers of sound proofing, then refit all the stock interior again. I don't use the Z to transport much, but the road noise is becoming hard to live with :)

Nice work. Love the cats!

Thanks Simon. Cats are great, other than when they play with the bedroom door at 4AM :dry:

Just had a brain wave over lunch whilst pondering the DAB signal quality. Last night I tried to improve the grounding of the aerial but this has little to no effect on the reception. However, whilst installing the DAB on Saturday I also took the opportunity to install a hardwire power kit for the Dash Cam. These cables run VERY close to one another down into the passenger footwell - and the power cable could be quite cheap (unshielded etc) and causing interference.

I hopped out on my lunch just now, pulled the fuse to the dash cam and scanned for DAB.........BOOM, good reception!

I am hoping that this is the cause of the issue, I will try the DAB on the drive home and see how it performs whilst the car is moving. But this could be a quick solution once I reroute the DashCam cable down the drivers side of the car and away from the DAB aerial.

It didn't occur to me during installation (must've been too excited!). Will update soon for those interested :D

• Like 1

Nice mate some subtle but nice mods :thumbs:

Let me know how the DAB module progresses (and the cost) :)

Looks like I've sorted it. Worked great on the way home, had a small drop in signal on the odd channel, I can only assume that some channels are stronger than others.

It must have been the dab aerial cable being so close to the dash cam power cable. Now that's the other side of the car it looks/sounds fine.

Cost wise I will find out tomorrow. Nissan put this on my account and I need to ring tomorrow and pay. I'll ask how much shorter unit would be and if they'll let me use Lisa's discount code. Could see if there's a bulk discount and see about a group buy if there's interest.

Edited by mattross1313
  • Like 2