Z4MC vs 370Z

Commander

One of the all-time classic BMW engines vs a generic Jap V6 that's always been a bit wheezy.

Perfectly proportioned breadvan vs aggressive coupe that looks better in stock form than the Nismo.

Genuine sports coupe vs sporty grand tourer (that's not a dig, look at what I drive!).

Bland but quality interior vs whizzy messy mix of analogue & digital.

One where values can only go one way vs one where values are still dropping slowly.

Handling I can't really comment on as I've never driven a proper Z4MC only the ragtop, but assuming it's vaguely similar then it's not even close: The BMW has a delicacy and a balance that the 370 will never have.

Between the two, I couldn't pick the 370 unless you're one of those bonkers people that just *has* to have a Jap car. Z4MC is worth it for the engine alone.

but surely you already have an E46 M3 which will have the same engine in as a Z4M, so... how many S54s do you need? i'd have to stay with a 370z just to keep it different from the M3. (and yes I know I now run a beemer for track duties and a beemer for road duties, but they're completely different lol)

Edited by brillomaster

Drive them both and it will be obvious, the Z4 isnt going to depreciate either. Only thing Id add is that a Z4 35i is quicker in a straight line and with a few chassis mods will handle very similarly as well ....... and with a remap will see well over 400hp/500 lb/ft ;)

It's better looking too, but the view over the nose is horrendous and it's so bloody hard to place the nose. Doesn't handle anywhere near as good either, but for a general cruiser road car I think I'd probably look at the 35i too.

Z4m for me ....... The car I should have bought instead of another 50 ! Cracking sports car .

Interesting

Why did you buy another 50 then?

Because at the time I didn't want to spend 18-20k on a nice z4mc . I only paid 10k for my 50 ..... This is why the 50/70 are so appealing . They are cheap for what you get .

One of the all-time classic BMW engines vs a generic Jap V6 that's always been a bit wheezy.

Perfectly proportioned breadvan vs aggressive coupe that looks better in stock form than the Nismo.

Genuine sports coupe vs sporty grand tourer (that's not a dig, look at what I drive!).

Bland but quality interior vs whizzy messy mix of analogue & digital.

One where values can only go one way vs one where values are still dropping slowly.

Handling I can't really comment on as I've never driven a proper Z4MC only the ragtop, but assuming it's vaguely similar then it's not even close: The BMW has a delicacy and a balance that the 370 will never have.

Between the two, I couldn't pick the 370 unless you're one of those bonkers people that just *has* to have a Jap car. Z4MC is worth it for the engine alone.

I've never driver either, though obviously do have a 350HR and an e46 M3 which are both fairly close comparisons in the grand scheme of things. I think I agree with all of this though.

but surely you already have an E46 M3 which will have the same engine in as a Z4M, so... how many S54s do you need? i'd have to stay with a 370z just to keep it different from the M3. (and yes I know I now run a beemer for track duties and a beemer for road duties, but they're completely different lol)

Can you have too many S54s in your life? The M3 is brilliant, but it's hardly a friendly place to be these days - track days only. A nice little Z4MC would, i hope, be great on euro road trips and probably won't lose much / any money while I keep it for a few years as a daily. The Mrs can be the one with the practical car :)

Drive them both and it will be obvious, the Z4 isnt going to depreciate either. Only thing Id add is that a Z4 35i is quicker in a straight line and with a few chassis mods will handle very similarly as well ....... and with a remap will see well over 400hp/500 lb/ft ;)

Not entirely sure you can get a decent one for the money I plan on having? Also don't really want to get in to modding it - slippery slope!

thats true, i just would maybe prefer a little variety, but if you like the engine in the M3, why not have the same engine in your road car.

considered something of the pork variety? caymans and boxsters and the like? alternatively, something like a 645 or a 650 would make a lovely wafty roadtrip car?

6-series too big and heavy - our road trips are more 'alpine b-road blast' than 'motorway waft'.

porkers (for the money I can spend) scare me - too many horror stories. Also, I've driven a Boxster S in the past, I don't fit very well at all... far too cramped in the steering wheel / hand / knee / door card area when turning. Roof is also quite close to my head :-/

I just couldn't live with a Z4's looks... the Z's are not pretty but not bad, aggressive in a kinda 'thick club bouncer' way but I'd rather have the looks than the Z4's, no matter how it drove cos a huge appeal of a car to most is the looks... unless your not bothered...then by the nimbler BMW haha

• Like 1

I just couldn't live with a Z4's looks... the Z's are not pretty but not bad, aggressive in a kinda 'thick club bouncer' way but I'd rather have the looks than the Z4's, no matter how it drove cos a huge appeal of a car to most is the looks... unless your not bothered...then by the nimbler BMW haha

This ^^^^

Rob

I wanted to be sure I knew what was being referred to so I had a quick shufty via Google and ended up reading about the car on a few BMW forums. Doesn't seem to be quite as well regarded on those as it is on here, which is odd.

Quite a nice looking car I think, but I wouldn't swap. Looks too sophisticated and grown up for my tastes. :)