For sale thread spamming

Jetpilot

Somewhat ironically I had my old alloys and tyres off the GT4 for sale on the Celica forum - stuck them up at £400, would take £350 for them I had in my head. Had a couple of chaps come on today and basically say 'looking at those with the budget tyres you won't get that, overpriced massively there are better wheels with better tyres for £350 let alone the £400 you are asking' - kinda funny as someone picked mine up about 2 hours ago and handed over £350 - to be fair one guy responded to say fair play and glad he was wrong to put his post up, the other despite being online hasn't given any more 'useful advice' on the thread :)

• Like 1

Great discussion in my opinion.

My view is that people should be able to post opinions about items for sale for all the reasons already raised - namely it is an information based discussion forum. However, how these opinions are expressed is also important. A bit of etiquette doesn't go amiss. Advising a seller he is too high on price is fine and even what your opinion is based on, but I don't think anyone should publicly set a price for a seller in doing this. That is just rude. Same for when a buyer makes an offer below the asking price in my view. Do it privately.

I've just read the thread in question and some of the comments are rude. It's not necessary, as those same comments are actually very accurate and could have been expressed better.

Whilst I can understand those aspiring ZED owners may want to see lower prices, it never ceases to amaze me why some ZED owners seem intent in driving prices down. Afterall, this forum is the biggest in the UK for 350/370 owners and if OK if the OP asks for price opinions (or offers) then they have to take it on the chin if those opinions/offers fall below their hope.

But for someone to keep on posting on the OP's thread that he is wrong with his post is just spamming and cluttering up its purpose. If anyone feels that strongly about the price then pm the seller (as I would expect anyone to do interested in buying the car) rather than mocking his for sale thread......which will/can be dealt with as I mentioned in post #35 above.

• Like 3

Great discussion in my opinion.

My view is that people should be able to post opinions about items for sale for all the reasons already raised - namely it is an information based discussion forum. However, how these opinions are expressed is also important. A bit of etiquette doesn't go amiss. Advising a seller he is too high on price is fine and even what your opinion is based on, but I don't think anyone should publicly set a price for a seller in doing this. That is just rude. Same for when a buyer makes an offer below the asking price in my view. Do it privately.

I've just read the thread in question and some of the comments are rude. It's not necessary, as those same comments are actually very accurate and could have been expressed better.

Its a very good point above, some people can be quite brash on threads in general - I think if there was one thread where its worth laying off a bit its when someone is selling their pride and joy. Involving conversations can be had rather than very direct 'I know more than you' style posts which often elicit negative responses.

Whilst I can understand those aspiring ZED owners may want to see lower prices, it never ceases to amaze me why some ZED owners seem intent in driving prices down. Afterall, this forum is the biggest in the UK for 350/370 owners and if OK if the OP asks for price opinions (or offers) then they have to take it on the chin if those opinions/offers fall below their hope.

But for someone to keep on posting on the OP's thread that he is wrong with his post is just spamming and cluttering up its purpose. If anyone feels that strongly about the price then pm the seller (as I would expect anyone to do interested in buying the car) rather than mocking his for sale thread......which will/can be dealt with as I mentioned in post #35 above.

^^This^^

In fact, I wonder how many of the people that comment on prices currently own a Zed or are they mainly ex-owners or people looking for one.

Regardless, as said above, and I said on the other thread, I feel its rude to publicly belittle someones for sale thread.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 2

I don't buy the whole 'driving down the price' argument, I've never seen anyone do that on here. What I have seen is a bunch of enthusiasts who live in the real world, and accept their cars aren't worth a billionty pounds forever. It's a very rare thing to find in owners' clubs, and it's very refreshing to see.

It's a good thing! :thumbs:

There are many other factors that contribute to a sale than the basic spec of the product for sale. For instance I know living in SW London means that I am in a huge catchment area for potential buyers as well as being next to a London underground station and mainline station to make getting to me much easier than most.

I think if you have time and want to get the highest price for something go in with a a high price, see if anyone nibbles with an offer, make the path to sale easy, keep them on the hook, negotiate price, sell. If it doesn't get attention, doesn't sell, then lower the price in increments until you get the desired outcome. In actual fact decreasing price creates an illusion of a bargain. Don't get me wrong, its hard work as you have to be confident enough to negotiate with the threat of losing a sale but its quite rewarding.

I often get negative comments of putting stuff up for sale too high a price so don't take them to heart, like my wheels, and my zed previously - but often the people commenting have no idea my tactics for selling so as annoying and misguided as those posts are, I tend to just ignore them and when I sell for the price I want just pop up a 'SOLD' post and sit back with a big smug grin on my face :teeth:;)

Ok, here's my opinion on this seemingly thorny subject.

Here, as on so many other car forums, there is a usually misguided belief that modifications add value to a car. So if you buy a £5k car and spend £1.5k on a bodykit and another £2k on paintwork, your car is now magically worth £8.5k!

History shows us that, 99% of the time, this is completely untrue.

I'm not familiar with any of the threads that have been specifically mentioned but, generally (and in my experience on various forums), a seller will only get comments on an asking price if it's either too high or too low (based on general opinion and current market trends). This could be because of something like the scenario I mentioned before, or something else entirely.

I've commented on for sale threads, usually saying something like "I wish I had the money!" which, as has already been mentioned, is a nice free bump for the seller. I can't see a problem with it and, if someone said something along those lines on a thread of mine, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If someone commented on my for sale thread saying that my pricing was way off the mark, I'd have to assume that there was a reason for the comment; perhaps they'd seen something similar on eBay or PH that was priced lower than my item. I'd go and investigate. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily be over the moon at being told that I was pricing something too high, I very much doubt I'd kick off about it. I'd probably respond with something like "Thanks for your opinion" and be done with it.

The very nature of forums is that they are built and based around discussion. The For Sale threads on here are exactly that: threads, not Classified adverts. Change that whole section to classified ads if nobody wants there to be any discussion around what's on sale.

Thing is though, most people like there to be discussion about these things as every single new post just bumps the item for sale back up the board... ;)

• Like 4