For sale thread spamming

Jetpilot

If I put something up for sale and it's not shifting then I'll think about dropping the price, but what no one needs is to be told that their product isn't worth what they're asking after 15 minutes of posting the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Truth is that a decent item at a sensible price attracts nothing but positive comments on here. It's a great community that looks out for each other, and I'd hate to see that ever change.

Absolutely, but that is worlds away from offering opinion on values, discussion about the item, especially when opinions on value can differ so drastically and your right, it is a great community, but as before, if your looking out for a fellow member and feel they have over priced their item, it doesnt need to be pubically discussed, a pm wil do.

To be fair, if a member cant work out their item for sale isnt shifting because of price, telling them isnt going to make much difference anyway, but on the particular add in question the comments were posted within 12 hours and that was overnight and to add insult to injury he was then questioned as to why he had 2 cars for sale :surrender:

There were even comments about do you want to sell some parts, which again I had when selling my car, its not a breaking add either.

Speaking all from very bitter experience of a good car sliding into the wrong price bracket and its the start of that slippery slope.

Edited by Jetpilot

What about the instances of people flogging 2nd hand mods etc at a price where the same brand new part can be had from a trader at the same price? Seen that plenty of times before.

Would you rather not have people comment than having some new guy pay way over the odds?

There was also a guy selling an Evo on here. Was being told all over his thread that that the car wasn't worth the asking price. He held out for a while and eventually got something close.

Really can't see the problem. Potential buyers still know that the replies are purely opinion and will pay what they feel is a fair price in their own head.

What spoils the for-sales threads is when the comments distract from the OPs objective by the bickering over opinions about the price.

As mods we have had to clean-up numerous such threads and at the end of the day if the OP wants a price that others feel is wrong that's his choice.

So if the OP is dissatisfied with the comments, or indeed other members feel they have gone OTT, then the report button is there....

And remember that also applies if pms are sent that go OTT in their content.....

• Like 1

Truth is that a decent item at a sensible price attracts nothing but positive comments on here. It's a great community that looks out for each other, and I'd hate to see that ever change.

Absolutely, but that is worlds away from offering opinion on values, discussion about the item, especially when opinions on value can differ so drastically and your right, it is a great community, but as before, if your looking out for a fellow member and feel they have over priced their item, it doesnt need to be pubically discussed, a pm wil do.

To be fair, if a member cant work out their item for sale isnt shifting because of price, telling them isnt going to make much difference anyway, but on the particular add in question the comments were posted within 12 hours and that was overnight and to add insult to injury he was then questioned as to why he had 2 cars for sale :surrender:

There were even comments about do you want to sell some parts, which again I had when selling my car, its not a breaking add either.

Speaking all from very bitter experience of a good car sliding into the wrong price bracket and its the start of that slippery slope.

And what? Are people not allowed to ask questions or make suggestions? It's pretty rare for a member to have 2 zeds and therefore the question was asked, I'm 100% certain no malice was meant by it. As for asking if they would consider selling some parts, what wrong with that? Everyone knows you'd get more if you strip the car back to standard and sell the mods, nothing wrong with asking about it. :shrug:

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 1

What has it got to do with anyone on here how many cars a member has or why he has them?

Its a for sale thread, not a breaking thread, if you want to chance your arm and see if he wants to sell parts, pm the dude, not clutter the add.

I have no idea why people think because its a "forum" a for sale add is open for discussion about price or anything else, its items/zeds FOR SALE an advertisement, not, have a chat about what your "opinion" is on price or items. I see absolutely no logic that because its a forum an "advert" is open for discussion.

If that is the theory as said before, there are plenty of cars advertised for sale in the world, fill your boots if you think their poorly priced ;)

Interesting topic, I don't think there is a yes or no answer to this as it is very grey. There is an advert for a weather old TRD exhaust for instance on one of the Celica forums at the moment for £350, someone posted straight on to say that a new one sold for £200 last week and put a link to the advert. I think this sort of factual post is useful on a for sale advert.

Opinion based stuff is exactly that and in most instances I find not very useful, when people say 'its overpriced you won't get anywhere near that' based simply on their experience is not contributing in my mind to the for sale thread. If the thing doesn't sell, then the seller will know its over priced, I don't think 10 posts from people as Colin mentioned bickering over the asking price really helps anyone.

And the price is exactly that, the asking price, in most sales where you have higher ticket prices you are always going to receive offers, so I always price it up a bit higher to encourage bids - I was categorically told I wouldn't get £10k for my 04 plate Zed when I posted it on here by many experts, 7 days later I got £10k for it, imagine if I had taken notice of the negative comments.

I would rather encourage information comments, I am selling some wheels at the moment and someone pointed out that the dish is not diamond cut lacquered and is steel polished which is fine, I didn't realise that, great info.

• Like 3

What has it got to do with anyone on here how many cars a member has or why he has them?

"Why are you selling?" is a genuine question I think anyone would ask when buying a car if not already stated. Whenever I have sold cars I would always note the reason for sale, whether it be "I just fancy a change" or "I require something more practical" etc.

I think codel pretty much nailed it anyway. I hadn't seen the thread in question until just now and I do get how some of it is kind of unhelpful. You're going to get it anywhere though and to be fair, the comments on this forum are nowhere near the texts / emails you get from the eBay / PH moron brigade. The forum provides all the mechanisms to avoid the above if you so wish, I can't really see where the issue is....

"Why are you selling?" is a genuine question I think anyone would ask when buying a car if not already stated. Whenever I have sold cars I would always note the reason for sale, whether it be "I just fancy a change" or "I require something more practical" etc.

I think codel pretty much nailed it anyway. I hadn't seen the thread in question until just now and I do get how some of it is kind of unhelpful. You're going to get it anywhere though and to be fair, the comments on this forum are nowhere near the texts / emails you get from the eBay / PH moron brigade. The forum provides all the mechanisms to avoid the above if you so wish, I can't really see where the issue is....

The why are you selling didnt get asked, he got asked, why have you got two cars, are you a trader etc, perhaps fair comment if you wanted to BUY, but it was already said, one was his, one was his girlfriends.

Agree with the ebay thing, but it is getting worse on here in the time i have been here hence why i believe it needs to be stopped, its all well land good having an opinion, nothing wrong with that and if you really feel obliged to let the owner know, pm them, as soon as price is "discussed" opneely it will become like his thread.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

The why are you selling didnt get asked, he got asked, why have you got two cars, are you a trader etc, perhaps fair comment if you wanted to BUY, but it was already said, one was his, one was his girlfriends.

Or just someone asking the question, getting an answer, which then highlights the reason for selling to a potential buyer? It's similar to (although less of an issue) than someone forgetting to write how long until the next MOT for example... Nobody would mind if the question was asked then by a non-buyer.

Some information is expected of course, mot, service history, mileage etc Camy mentioned why he has two cars, no need to ask, especially if you are not a buyer.

Opinions differ, i have given my reasons as to why, i hope the mods will discuss its merits.

• Like 1

It seems simple to me ... just do this

Sellers

1) Put up an advert that tells a potential buyer all about the car

2) Ask for a reasonable amount of money for the car

3) Answer any questions a potential buyer may have

4) Agree a deal

5) Sell the car

Buyers

1) Ask any questions you may have on the thread, or via PM or phone

2) Tell the buyer how much you are willing to pay for the car

3) Agree a deal

4) Buy the car

As an example of how it should go, I would ask Dan to put up the advert for his 997 again ... yes the one he sold so easily ... only thing I see wrong with that deal is:

HE DIDN"T SELL IT TO ME

• Like 2

The problem with the for sale threads for the cars are that so many people feel the need to say its not worth xyz based on just generalisation of that year and model instead of accepting that a well looked after example is always going to be worth top dollar.

Makes me laugh when i see forum members de-valuing the cars they supposedly love rather than commenting on condition, mileage etc which are ultimately what affects its value.

Good cars are always worth top money and that is really what needs to be accepted, so i would agree in most cases the comments are not helpful because they target the wrong reasons for the pricing.

• Like 2

Again, if prices are realistic then those comments don't get posted.

In the case of Camy's thread, the prices weren't realistic so everyone told Camy that. The prices were then changed to something that was much more realistic, which means that both cars for sale are now bang-on the money. Camy comes out of it having a 100% better chance of selling the cars, so everyone's a winner.

It's not just cars: Parts, random items, everything benefits from having sensible prices. If I turn around and manage to sell half an apple for £100 just because I manage to find the one gullible idiot who has no idea what half an apple is worth, that doesn't make it a good thing for the apple owning community. It just means that someone else is going to tell him that he paid well over the odds, and that guy will resent not being told the truth in the first place.

• Like 1

Again, if prices are realistic then those comments don't get posted.

In the case of Camy's thread, the prices weren't realistic so everyone told Camy that. The prices were then changed to something that was much more realistic

Everyone is a massive exaggeration and one of the 2 people that did, suggested they be at £5k, which is exactly why its a bad idea and not at all helpful and as before, if someone is feeling that high and mighty and needs their ego massaging (read "helpful") and feel the need to say something, why not do it via pm, its more personal and doesnt clutter a thread ;)