Talk Talk Fiasco

ATTAK Z

I'm thinking of leaving Talk Talk due to the current situation ... at the moment I get broadband at 3.5 Megabits (on a good day) and land line rental for about £27 per month ... I've checked out that I have no cancellation fee and all I have to give TT is 30 days notice ... I've already set up new Email accounts with Outlook ...

... I'm currently looking at Plusnet and Sky which are both offering free for a year and about £27 per month afterwards with a 12 month contract ... sooooooooooo

I now need advice please on who to sign up with for the best deal ...

You think PlusNet or Sky are any more secure? There's plenty of reasons to leave TalkTalk, but the current situation isn't one.

Personally I stick with BT, as their cosy relationship with Openreach makes problem solving significantly quicker.

Home BT lines should get the same service from Openreach as any other ISP does.

None of the providers you mention are going to provide you with a faster service because it's the same copper wire they use (assuming you keep paying like for like ofc), so it's just piece of mind and customer service you're paying for really.

You'd be better off changing your bank - makes any account numbers / sort codes they've stolen useless and some banks will pay you ~£100 just for joining.

Home BT lines should get the same service from Openreach as any other ISP does.

Ah yes, 'should'. No chance, Openreach will always prioritise BT first. Very cosy relationship. ;)

Plusnet are very customer friendly though, they're my second choice provider. Not as cheap as they used to be, but still excellent and chatty.

You think PlusNet or Sky are any more secure? There's plenty of reasons to leave TalkTalk, but the current situation isn't one.

Personally I stick with BT, as their cosy relationship with Openreach makes problem solving significantly quicker.

Bollocks !!!!! :surrender:

BT couldn't organise a **** up in a Brewery - their "cosy" relationship does NOT exist - I'm living proof of that

bottom line is ................ they're all as bad as each other and you pays your money and takes your chance

• Like 1

If you're just trading copper for copper don't expect much of a speed boost unless you're getting bummed by traffic shaping by talk talk or your new router is an upgrade, don't know how accurate these views are but worth a look.

https://recombu.com/digital/article/isp-traffic-management-bt-sky-virgin-media-ee-talktalk_M11045.html

It'll become clear quite soon if they were unlucky victims of cyber crime or negligent in their security measures.

Edited by SuperStu

BT couldn't organise a **** up in a Brewery - their "cosy" relationship does NOT exist - I'm living proof of that

bottom line is ................ they're all as bad as each other and you pays your money and takes your chance

Fully agree there, I left bt a few months back to join sky for a faster rate at half the price that doesn't go down one a month. Complete shower that lot

We were with sky and got 4 meg in the morning and it progressively slowed down through the day to 0.6meg in the evening.

Now with BT and its 4.5meg 24/7

Same copper cable but without the traffic management from sky which is put upon them by 3rd party management and beyond their control. so changing your isp can make a difference when you only have copper.

I'm with TalkTalk now, 4Mbps ish on a good day. Can go as low as 0.5Mbps all over the weekend despite numerous count of restarts. I'm on rolling contract now hence work out well as I'll be moving house in January next year. I'm considering to leave TT and will be exploring fibre optic options.

Well I'm on BT infinity 2 , I get around 50 MBPS download, my mate LITERALLY ACROSS THE ROAD was on sky's top package ( not sure what its called ) And he never once topped 22MBPS down.

Weirdly though his upload was about the same as mine, which annoyed me :p

We pay around £27 a month but we don't pay line rental so I don't know what that would total up to - Dad has his own company and works from home, so he pays the line rental through his company ( no idea why - he's got a reason APAZ )

Anyways, before the BT, we were on Sky as well, and would barely reach above dial up speeds during high traffic times ( after 4pm was when it kicked in, up to around midnight ) Needless to say, the tiny extra payment towards BT was well worth it when I could actually play games online and watch videos without buffering constantly.

Having said all this, it all depends on location. We are quite lucky where I live cause the exchange is only about 2 miles away I believe. Some social rejects dug up the exchange and sold the copper wires on though which was irritating - low life scum.

I'll do a few speed tests across various devices and post up the results later for you.

Anyways just give BT a go, if you don't like it, you have 14 days to change your mind free of charge, like with all contracts :)

Just my £0.02 - This isn't my area of expertise, but my big brother works in IT so he knows what he's on about - I just repeat what he says :D

Edited by Mikevv

I've not followed the deals as I'm happy to talk to PlusNets support staff. I find they actually listen to me when I tell them what I've tried already. Get a much better feeling that their support staff know their job as opposed to most companies that seem to just give their staff a magic script to follow that will solve all problems.

I swapped to fibre when there was a BT modem and a fibre router, the 2 box solution. I think these days it's all in 1 box. When I joined though the router box was a waste of space, but I used that as an excuse to get a fancy Asus router.

It's not been perfect, but I don't think any company is. So for me the difference is having a tech support line that works with me as opposed to at me. I'm in the IT industry so while broadband isn't my bread and butter I have picked up on some troubleshooting tips that put me beyond step 1 of a script.

As people have said the copper is all the same no matter which provider you go with. With home users you are always going to have a high contention ratio which means during peak hours the speeds are going to drop. If you can manage to get business broadband you get prioritised bandwidth but this still doesn't really help.

I work with business broadband and I'm not down with the home users technology but if its anything like buisness then BTs 21cn network has dynamic line management which if you suffer instability will cap the speeds, if you are getting an ok speed some of the time then this won't be having an effect. (20cn doesn't have this).

The best advice I can give is to jump on FTTC if available (still heavily contended) or go with virgin cable as its a completly different tech and on its own network so not as many users. Sky use old legacy equipment at there exchanges so that combined with the same copper could slow you.

If you need support TTB are not good at all but sky are not far off. BT are just an endless list of departments so you can never speak to who you want to speak to.

FTTC or virgins cable service. Sorted.

Edited by Hooch

So you don't think that a company that was once a part of a bigger company and still has intimate ties in terms of staff & knowledge will be able to get things sorted quicker than one who has no connection whatsoever, and gets put to the bottom of the pile?

I'm not saying they're perfect, and things will always fall through the gap, but on the whole you're more likely to get a quicker and more positive outcome if there are external network issues with Openreach if you're with BT. I've never received anything other than great service from BT, but people always shout louder when there's an issue: That's why the big guys always have more complaints. For example, speak to a domestic appliance engineer and he'll tell you that Indesit machines don't go wrong any more than Bosch ones, but because people buy more Indesit there's more problems around.

I'd agree with this, they were supposed to come and install a new line, never turned up and when I rang them they couldnt locate me on the system, even though I had emails and texts from them.

So you don't think that a company that was once a part of a bigger company and still has intimate ties in terms of staff & knowledge will be able to get things sorted quicker than one who has no connection whatsoever, and gets put to the bottom of the pile?

I'm not saying they're perfect, and things will always fall through the gap, but on the whole you're more likely to get a quicker and more positive outcome if there are external network issues with Openreach if you're with BT. I've never received anything other than great service from BT, but people always shout louder when there's an issue: That's why the big guys always have more complaints. For example, speak to a domestic appliance engineer and he'll tell you that Indesit machines don't go wrong any more than Bosch ones, but because people buy more Indesit there's more problems around.

on the whole I'd like to agree - but its been too long since they separated

definitely the bigger you are the more "hits" you will receive - but the experience I had was nothing short of incompetance

I'd agree with this, they were supposed to come and install a new line, never turned up and when I rang them they couldnt locate me on the system, even though I had emails and texts from them.

very similar to my experience but when I informed them of the issue - all they kept doing was putting me to the back of the queue - no attempt was made to resolve it

• 3 months later...

I was with Sky for a few years. Recently switched to Plusnet. 76mb fibre for the same price as Skys 38mb fibre

And Plusnet don't seem to censor certain webpages like Sky does.

Good service after the initial 2 week line balancing.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 1