JDM Satnav Conversion

-G-

Hi All,

I'm importing an '07 Z33 from Japan & have trawled the forum a bit looking to glean some experience from other members who have looked into doing the same thing.

As far as I can tell, the only company who used to offer the conversion service have since stopped trading / disappeared - I understand there are better Nav's on the market than the Birdpoo, but I'm looking to refrain from modifying the car too much from it's JDM spec- so replacing the unit with a cubby LCD is out.

What I'd ideally want is for the unit to operate with the Japanese UI (i.e. Leave the hardware intact) but be able to navigate using EU /UK Maps. Is this possible by simply using a compatible EU/UK disc or is it far more complicated than that?

Thank in advance for your help.

G

Hi BulletMagnet, thanks for replying.

I feared it would be more complicated, but needed to ask.

Appreciate that it's easier to swap out the old system for a more modern one, but I can't in good conscience modify that kind of thing - apart from detracting from the original spec, it would more than likely affect the value of the car, something I'm trying to avoid

Thanks again

^^ this, especially as it doesnt work at all over here, ive had my jdm for 5+ years now and searched for years on a solution...its still in there now and to be honest if i ever sold it would prob bring value down as next buyer will have to deal with it, I just put a crappy satnav chinese thing in the din below ..good enough for me :thumbs:

Edited by jumping350

Pressed for time but if you check out my posts you'll find the scoop... Year dependant (mine 05, it works)... Get the sat nav from an X-Trail, you loose the TV but who cares... Theres an AUX in there too so you can hook up to a reverse cam (not done) or an in car entertainment system (also not done)... UK disc in JDM sat nav wont work...

Go for it...

• Like 2

Pressed for time but if you check out my posts you'll find the scoop... Year dependant (mine 05, it works)... Get the sat nav from an X-Trail, you loose the TV but who cares... Theres an AUX in there too so you can hook up to a reverse cam (not done) or an in car entertainment system (also not done)... UK disc in JDM sat nav wont work...

Go for it...

Nice one - once I get a proper look at the unit I'll message you with what the jdm navi model / unit is - from there I'll hopefully be able to to track down a suitable replacement

Thanks a ton :-)

G

It wont detract from the value by changing it all imho.

In most cases, I would agree with you. Not in this case, but most.

Thanks

G

Its a jdm import, they have a ceiling price, working sat nav or not, it wont be a sale point and it wont get you more money than one without :) but, in interest of keeping it all oem, i understand ;)

It wont detract from the value by changing it all imho.

In most cases, I would agree with you. Not in this case, but most.

Thanks

G

Its a jdm import, they have a ceiling price, working sat nav or not, it wont be a sale point and it wont get you more money than one without :) but, in interest of keeping it all oem, i understand ;)

The car I've bought is a limited edition & wasn't offered for sale outside of Japan. I don't plan on selling the car, but in order to maintain its value I was recommended by the friend who sourced it for me not to modify it too far away from the established spec.

What "Limited Edition" was it?

If the pic in your sig is of the actual car, then I'll have to say that I am unaware of any limited edition JDM that came with WEDS wheels that were designed many years after the car came out, if they are genuine WEDS wheels in the first place

The car in the sig is another import I own - an '03 track with yes, SA-55M wheels. The car I'm Importing is a Nismo.

Edited by -G-
  • Like 1

There were only 300 units of the 380RS - most of which have been tracked to death, modified beyond recognition or even written off :-(

Finding a pristine model in white with low miles was hard & yeah, price was a bit eye-watering. Mine is 161 of the 300 run.

IMG-20150922-WA0029_zpsb6hprl9b.jpg

The car I'm Importing is a NIsmo Type 380RS.

Must be the first one in the country :)

I certainly haven't seen any on any other forums, so it might well be.

Someone imported one about 6 or 7 years ago,.no idea where it is now though.

http://www.350z-uk.c...smo-type-380rs/

post #16

Pete

Edited by JetSet