350doc

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

A little update: 5th gear synchro went at 122,000 miles. Replaced gearbox with 2nd hand CD009 gearbox, new flywheel, new clutch and new bearings. Total cost c. £1800. Would have been c. £4,500 from a Nissan dealer with a new gearbox.

(edited for typo on gearbox model)

A little update: 5th gear synchro went at 122,000 miles. Replaced gearbox with 2nd hand CD007 gearbox, new flywheel, new clutch and new bearings. Total cost c. £1800. Would have been c. £4,500 from a Nissan dealer with a new gearbox.
I seem to remember being pilloried on the OC for having the temerity to suggest that buying your car might be a risky endeavour....

Hi there. It was the 5th gear synchro; a known issue on the Zed. There have been quite a few warranty replacements at under 60k. Expected life expectancy of a clutch is 60-100,000 miles. It makes sense to replace the flywheel if replacing the gearbox (as I paid no more in labour to have this done). I could have got it fixed (probably for less, but would have taken longer). Car basically has a new drivetrain now; virtually all other consumable parts (except engine) have been replaced. The expected lifetime of the VQ35de is 200,000 miles.

The gearbox was £460 for CD09 (latest edition, with revised synchros). Fitting was £275 + VAT. The rest was just parts other than the gearbox, which I could have got a better deal on if it wasn't Christmas, and I would have had more suppliers to choose from; I had to pay £500+VAT for the flywheel, which isn't a good deal.

Most of the costs on my car have been at the 60,000 mark.

In summary, I think that my car is in better condition now than most at the 55,000 mark. The cost of repair was less than most cars depreciate in a few months nowadays, and I think I am now on the flat of the depreciation curve (new/newer cars depreciate faster).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I really don't think an owner/driver with 130k Zed miles should be labelled as a 'Z Hopeful' :wacko:

350doc should be awarded his own title (and any others hitting this limit)...

eg.

Zed Journeyman

Miles of Zed

others ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fantastic post.

Nissan need not advertise with comments and information such as this, the owners can sell the car themselves!

I dont think anyone could possibly be under the impression it is going to be a very cheap car to own, as I always stand by the fact that is a sports car is cheap to own, then it isnt a good sports car!

QN.

I am just on 144,000 miles.

Latest acqusition, passenger side ballast for xenon headlamp from RJN motorsport. I did get some Dual Xenons, but they turned out to be for a LHD car, so I had to give them back.

About 3 months to go until 150,000 miles.

This year has been reasonably cheap in terms of Zed motoring; had to fix a petrol leak earlier in the year, from the filler hose (known issue, subject to recall on US cars, but, unfortunately not UK ones).

• 1 month later...