End link advice

dajw

a689550e53a546258a689d7eab3854aa.jpg

I have the Eibach stabiliser bar and SPL drop links front and rear.

The photo above shows how the front drop links sit with the car on its wheels, facing forwards. They rattle/bang a bit (not as much as when the prior set were on).

I'd like to sort out this noise as it is irritating.

1. Do I return to the stock links, as some have?

2. Is there anything I can do with regard adjustment? There are threads and spacers.

3. Those rose joints look like a good place for grit to work its way in and cause a failure. I don't expect them to last very long on UK roads. (We have the same issue with mountain bikes - UK designed full-suspension bikes are generally okay with our sticky geological grinding paste. US ones seem good for dust and dry conditions and the bushings loosen up over a British winter or two - I expect the same here).

Your thoughts and advice ever appreciated!

Edited by dajw

Surly if they rattle dom they must be loose? I personally think spl stuff is absolutely brilliant on track but not for a road going car .

They feel tight. I can grab the vertical section and twist it about its long axis. I think what happens is they move with the steering, but get stuck at one of the extremes of their movement and then make the rattle.

Thanks for the advice :)

The local 4-wheel alignment shop said they were okay, H-Dev said they were fine, my brain and ears say they aren't fine!

I will find a way to lift the car and get spannering. I've a gravel driveway at my flat, so will probably go with a lift or a pit to sort 'em out.

• Like 1

They look to be sitting the same as the stock ones would, adjusting them may help but they may still rattle, but as I said to you when I saw them my experience of exposed rose joints on road cars is that they have a short life , the dirt and grime acts as a grinding paste and wears them away very quickly. You can buy rubber covers but they often just lock the moisture in

Since the standard car has a tendency to consume front drop links at quite a rate anyhow I would think new rose joints (You can buy them separately and save a few £££) would be an annual job really.

I went for pattern ones like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370z-infiniti-e35-g35-g37-front-right-drop-link-/251295975004?hash=item3a8268465c:g:eAAAAMXQDrJRyzEX

They are cheap so they might not last but will outlast a rose joint I reckon and only take 20 mins to swap out as they are much easier to fit

I have adjustable ones on the rear but they are only set at the stock length at present so for me there are doing the same job as the stock ones anyhow

As a comparison here is how my ones sit

20151018_1037451_zpshkecjwed.jpg

20151018_1038191_zpsgs6bhkug.jpg

Dom, have a look here:

Install endlink. To eliminate sway bar preload (recommended), leave one endlink bolt disconnected (other endlink bolts should be connected). Place car (all 4 wheels) on flat ground. Then adjust the length of the disconnected endlink until the bolt inserts easily into the sway bar. That will be the length setting to

use. Assemble and tighten that endlink accordingly.

Make sure that the endlinks have good articulation after tightening down the jam nuts. Grab the hex buckle and rotate left to right, the entire endlink should be able to rotate back and forth in an approx. 50 deg range. If not, loosen one jam nut and adjust the bearing, then tighten the jam nut making sure to keep the bearings in alignment.

http://www.splparts.com/content/SPLREZ33.pdf

• Like 1