which tyres?

bryn72

Maybe read the posts in the tyre forum section.

Lovely welcoming post :thumbs:

To be fair, the tyre question is asked on a weekly basis and we do have a whole section on tyres and the answer is always the same :)

Yea but the guy has been here like 5 minutes, no need for people to be rude.

Hardly rude or childish, just pointing out we have a section devoted to tyres where the answer is :)

• 2 weeks later...

Car manufacturing engineers will define the specification that the tyres will have to meet.The purchasing department will then go to its list of approved tyre suppliers & will negotiate the best possible price for the supply of said tyres, probably over the expected life of that particular model car. This is the way in which Nissan works, at least it was when I used to deal with them & so Bridgestone would have submitted the best pricing & supply conditions for the 370z's tyres & should retain that business as long as they keep meeting Nissan's requirements & don't make stupid mistakes. Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't other tyres available that are perfectly suited to the Z's characteristics & from the number of recommendations on this forum it is fairly obvious that Michelin PSS's fit the bill & so they would seem to be quite a good choice.

Taking the point regarding how the tyre looks on the car, I don't believe that that would have been high on the list of the Nissan engineers specification, I can imagine that if you asked them the question on aesthetics they would have said that they need to be black & round. I hope your final choice is to your satisfaction.

I don't believe it should be part of any sane person's specification when choosing a tyre, unless they never intend to drive on it.

You've clearly got background in this, out of curiosity what is it you do/did? Not picking holes, you clearly know your onions, I'm genuinely interested. :)

For 36 of the 41 years of my working life I worked for 2 large American Automotive Engineering Companies & for 23 of those 36 years I worked in the Purchasing Depts buying raw materials & components which ended up being supplied to most of the motor manufacturers in Europe as safety critical products. The classification safety critical meant that the engineering specification was set to an extremely high level & the purchasing people had to liaise very closely with engineering, quality control & logistics, both in our own company & also at the customer in order to ensure that all safety critical parts were supplied to the exact specification with no room for error, after all not being melodramatic about it, the failure of a safety critical part could end up with somebody being killed.

Although I didn't purchase tyres they would also carry the safety critical classification & be subject to extremely rigorous test procedures covering everything that a tyre will be subjected to during its working life & like yourself I believe that there are far more critical reasons to buying a tyre than whether it looked good or not.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Looks like bridgestones for me over £100 cheaper for 2... Btw do you need runflats or not... If you get a flat can you just call the RAC as this is free right as part of the roadside assistance