The GTR itch - the modifications continue.

Tinyflier

Congratulations David. I'm on the same path end of next year. Be great if you can come to the Woodman meet I am planningto arrange for November. Hope all is well.

Will look out for it and see what I can do if you guys wouldn't mind!

After a loooooong week of waiting and a somewhat sleepless Friday night I collected this yesterday morning - an 09 model in DMG.

First mod already done (change gear knob to 2015 version) and second mod (a Jack @ Royal Steering wheels re-trim) already underway.

20151010_094227.jpg

20151010_094236.jpg

My GTR next to my 350Z. Firstly I need to work out how to get MUCH closer to the pillar and secondly I wish I could get my hands on the person who allocated a double space to my apartment with a supporting column in between!

20151010_111014.jpg

The GTR is immense. My 350 is not short of grip but the GTR takes cornering to a whole new level, as for the acceleration -mind blowing! I consider myself immensely lucky to have these two fabulous machines.

David

• Like 10

After a loooooong week of waiting and a somewhat sleepless Friday night I collected this yesterday morning - an 09 model in DMG.

First mod already done (change gear knob to 2015 version) and second mod (a Jack @ Royal Steering wheels re-trim) already underway.

20151010_094227.jpg

20151010_094236.jpg

My GTR next to my 350Z. Firstly I need to work out how to get MUCH closer to the pillar and secondly I wish I could get my hands on the person who allocated a double space to my apartment with a supporting column in between!

20151010_111014.jpg

The GTR is immense. My 350 is not short of grip but the GTR takes cornering to a whole new level, as for the acceleration -mind blowing! I consider myself immensely lucky to have these two fabulous machines.

David

Now get it on a track and see what its actually capable of ;)

GTROC has a Silverstone track day on the 25th...

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For the moment, just doing a few cosmetic/"light touch" mods, so far have done:

1) Carbon effect bonnet struts/remove "the stick" (no pic to hand)

2) Re-trimmed wheel (by Jack at Royal Steering wheels), perforated throughout and +2mm extra thickness

20151101_113203.jpg

3) Carbon trim to the steering wheel control plates (pic added)

20151102_171846.jpg

4) You can also see the new carbon trim to the audio/air con face plate. OEM is cheap looking plastic on my model year - later ones have carbon effect as standard.Replaced OEM black audio/aircon knobs with knurled silvery finish ones. Black knobs on black background - not to my liking.

6) 2015 Gear knob (slight different Reverse Release control and full leather trim - earlier ones were hard plastic around the top.

You know how much of a pain removing the 350z knob is? Well to remove/refit this one took 3 minutes (including opening the box!)

20151102_171900.jpg

Edited by Tinyflier
  • Like 1

David

Bring it along to the Woodman on 15th November. Would be good to see you and the car as this is the route I am also going down in 12 months time.

Great choice.

Martin

Unfortunately Martin, I will be in Marrakech that weekend, but will keep any eye on next meet and bring it along then.

In the meantime if you wanted to meet sometime and check it out in depth before you take the plunge I'd be happy to meet up.

David

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I bored you about my GTR, so feel free to ignore!

Not long after I bought it I had a problem with the transmission selecting, or to be more accurate NOT selecting R or 1 at the first attempt (inevitably when someone was waiting for me to do whatever was needed and get out of the way!). It took a little while but eventually I had the transmission rebuilt at ACSpeedtech in Warrington (under warranty!) with some significant upgrades and it is now sublime! Will need a clutch re-learn and then upgrade to latest transmission software - courtesy of an Ecutek cable and my laptop.

Visually the only real change (apart from the bits'npieces in post #34) has been a retrim of the central gear surround.(and a new personal reg to twin up with the 350).

Gone is the sliver plastic (easily marked) finish, now it is in a lovely classy alcantara to match the seats.

image1.jpg

20160226_105938_1.jpg

Oh - and the ultimate mod - a leather handle for the inside of the boot lid to pull it closed - :lol:

Next up - a Divine Detail and then perhaps an intercooler upgrade and a dyno setup...

David.

Edited by Tinyflier
  • Like 1

Hold on a sec, that's a brilliant idea!!! I like the alcantara centre surround. Where and how much? :)

Glad you like it Ade - it does look good doesn't it!

Steve Palmer at Edge Automotive - £100 plus p&p.

His turnaround was speedy too! I said I'd pass on his details as I'm really REALLY pleased with his work - so if you contact him let him know who tipped you off!

Cheers.

Did Andy update your Engine EcuTek software to Version 5?

Hi Mark,

Not too sure to be honest Mark, we only spoke about the transmission software which he suggested we upgrade when I do a clutch re-learn at about 1,000 miles.

I'll plug my cable in at weekend and see what pops up!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday had the GTR fitted with a Reverse View camera (electronics and fitting by Paul_S at **REMOVED**).

I have parking sensors already but this is one fat assed car that def benefits from all the reversinh guides possible!

20160313_145947.jpg

20160313_145938.jpg

Also fitted a Memory Box to the "R-Mode" settings control bar so now the car remembers what your transmission/suspension/dynamic control were set to last time and restores to those settings. What a labour saving device!

David

• Like 1

Have got a reverse beep canceler yet? Not sure how long I can cope with mine lol.

Could you PM me rough cost of the reversing cam ? I was thinking about doing it myself, but appears there is a lot more to it than usual.

Have got a reverse beep canceler yet? Not sure how long I can cope with mine lol.

Could you PM me rough cost of the reversing cam ? I was thinking about doing it myself, but appears there is a lot more to it than usual.

Yes I have the reverse beep defeater box fitted!

Was more than just a camera and a cable for sure!

Your Mailbox is full!

David

Edited by Tinyflier