hydrophobic glass coatings

saint

Hi,

Does anyone have experience using hydrophobic sprays on their windows? I'm thinking of using it for my parking camera since the first drop of road spray is rendering it unusable at the moment. I've seen a few products online but I'd rather use a recommended one than pick one at random :-)

I have a bit of experience with numerous glass sealants which I could quite happily run through the pros and cons of each but to keep it brief;

If you want ease of use on such a small area, the Car Chem's glass sealant would be my recommendation. It'll need topping up once every couple of months probably (depending on how dirty the lens usually gets), but it's a very good, well priced product and the bottle will last you a good while even if you use it on your windows too.

An actual coating like GTechniq G1 would be harder wearing and actually last longer but in essence, you'll need to give the lens a good clean (as in more than just a wipe over with soapy wash mitt once a week!) fairly regularly to keep any coating effective otherwise it'll just "clog up" and stop working at all - also not worth the cost of the bottle unless you're doing your windows too.

Hi,

Does anyone have experience using hydrophobic sprays on their windows? I'm thinking of using it for my parking camera since the first drop of road spray is rendering it unusable at the moment. I've seen a few products online but I'd rather use a recommended one than pick one at random :-)

I don't know if it is "hydrophobic", but 'Aquapel' is very good at shifting rain off my windscreen.

Unlike Rain-X, it chemically bonds to your windscreen, and lasts about 6 months with one coating.

It works best at +50mph, where rain and spray fly upwards off the windscreen.

For example, in heavy spray on the M6 this morning I was using intermittant wipe, whereas other drivers had their wiperrs going at full speed.

I use Gtechniq G1 on the windscreen and G5 on the rest of the glass. Excellent products but as stated earlier - not cheap.

If anyone is going to look into the Gtechniq products off the back of this thread, the EXOv2 is a fantastic product.

Edited by fatrab

Well first of all, wow! Such enthusiasm for car products, thanks for all the replies! I'm still trying to find that tin of "elbow" grease ;-)

I went to Halfrauds to pick up a parcel that ended up there, and whilst I was there I saw Rain-X was on special offer so I've nabbed a bottle. If it doesn't do the job I'll go for something fancier!

Hiya! Would it work on dewy wing mirrors? or is it only for driving rain?

It'll help but my experience is that you'll need some sort of air flow to clear it.

Hydrophobic and super hydrophobic theoretically shouldn't allow water to 'sit' on a treated surfaced. I guess with the wing mirrors being vertical the water 'should' run off under its own weight. That said dew is tiny so might not be heavy enough to run off

^^^ That. It might help a bit but in reality it probably won't make much of a difference with dew really (Rain-X certainly won't, but that's a separate issue...). To be honest though, with the heated mirrors on the Z a glass coating isn't really needed anyway because they clear quite quickly.

^^^ That. It might help a bit but in reality it probably won't make much of a difference with dew really (Rain-X certainly won't, but that's a separate issue...). To be honest though, with the heated mirrors on the Z a glass coating isn't really needed anyway because they clear quite quickly.

I have heated mirrors?!

Assuming you've got a 350Z, then yes. IIRC it's connected to the rear screen de-mister jobbie button (it's been too long since I even sat in my Z, I should know this!).

I presume the '70 is the same but I don't actually know.

hmm I've got the 350z roadster - there's a back window de-mister button? That definitely doesn't de-mist either but I'd assumed I'd got an electrical fault... if there's a button it might be worth me looking for that before taking in for repair :)

hmm I've got the 350z roadster - there's a back window de-mister button? That definitely doesn't de-mist either but I'd assumed I'd got an electrical fault... if there's a button it might be worth me looking for that before taking in for repair :)

Ah, I don't know about those silly topless cars without proper roofs I'm afraid :p

I'd be surprised if the roadster didn't have them, butitwoildnt be the first time Nissan has surprised me! :lol: