Got Caught Speeding

Z-Boy

Oh, ok....so you've already had the letter. If they were going to offer you the course you would have got the details in with the letter. Bad luck :(

No, it doesn't work like that. First of all you get a letter of intended prosecution. You have to fill in and send the attached form back to them to ensure the details are correct, eg your wife could have been driving. Once the police have had this back they'll assess if a SAC is suitable.

Pete

Pete is right, I got caught on the cat and fiddle run near Buxton (yes the average speed cameras work all the way up there) in January 61mph in a 50 zone. The cut off point for the course was 63mph.

I first got the letter to confirm it was me (in my company Transit!) then offered the course £85.00 and no points or contest it and go to court and lose the course option

The course was really good, full of drivers giving reasons why they shouldn't have been there but lucky I thought to be offered the course

Oh, ok....so you've already had the letter. If they were going to offer you the course you would have got the details in with the letter. Bad luck :(

No, it doesn't work like that. First of all you get a letter of intended prosecution. You have to fill in and send the attached form back to them to ensure the details are correct, eg your wife could have been driving. Once the police have had this back they'll assess if a SAC is suitable.

Pete

That's not correct Pete,

It happened to me 3 weeks ago exactly as explained by Kat. I was offered 2 options in that first letter, course or points

Are you doing the course in Reading?

No, oxfordshire. Abingdon to be precise!

Pete

That's not correct Pete,

It happened to me 3 weeks ago exactly as explained by Kat. I was offered 2 options in that first letter, course or points

well if you didn't get a NIP first it hasn't been served properly and you can contest it :shrug:

I think Pete probably got a covering letter with the nip explaining this option MAY be available, because i am certain you are right vic the nip comes first and has to be delivered to the registered keeper within 14 days, they then have to advise who was actually driving then the driver ( if different ) gets a nip which they send off then await the prosecution decison.

Should have explained that Caroline used to work in the department at County Hall that dealt with SAC's. She was there when they were first introduced circa 2003/4, used to be 30 to 40 a week offered SAC's back then. Of course, if you got the offer of an SAC you had to go to Greenfield near Holywell, even if you lived in Cornwall or Scotland.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I got 6 points and a hefty fine for doing 68 down here (No roadworks when I was going down there):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.8926556,-1.1620436,3a,75y,203.53h,77.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSu01b8ANqz-_J7niAbo8Zw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I was most annoyed as it used to be a national speed limit, but it's now changed to 40 (There is only one small repeater hidden in a bush) so I genuinely thought I was being sensible. They were stopping everybody who went past, they have now actually put the 40MPH sign up at the entrance to the road.

I got hauled into court and they weren't interested in anything I had to say and refused to look at the pictures showing that there was no speed limit sign at the entrance to the road, and that the only sign was hidden in a bush. I was told to be grateful that I kept my license and that they were going to be lenient with me because I needed to be able to drive for work.

I think Pete probably got a covering letter with the nip explaining this option MAY be available, because i am certain you are right vic the nip comes first and has to be delivered to the registered keeper within 14 days, they then have to advise who was actually driving then the driver ( if different ) gets a nip which they send off then await the prosecution decison.

Issued, not delivered. Issued within 14 days and never delivered is still perfectly enforceable.

Was it a static or mobile speed camera? just wondering if the police are starting another speed campaign, there's been a lot of signs going up all over the place.

There's a dual carriage way near Bracknell that is actually a 50mph, but most drive at 70 on it, so can sympathize with you a little......still at least you've not got to go to court!

Which dual carriageway? Is that on the way into bagshot?

Was it a static or mobile speed camera? just wondering if the police are starting another speed campaign, there's been a lot of signs going up all over the place.

There's a dual carriage way near Bracknell that is actually a 50mph, but most drive at 70 on it, so can sympathize with you a little......still at least you've not got to go to court!

Sorry, really bad at knowing which road I'm on.....I think it's the A329M towards Bracknell, from the Wokingham turnoff all the way past the roundabout where the Waitrose depot is and basically all the way to Bracknell.....is a 50mph max (roadworks near coral reef are 40mph at present). Drive at that speed though and you'll have a lorry up your tailpipe. But you're right, the Bagshot road further up (also a dual carriageway) up as far as the M3 is a 50mph, there's a mobile speed camera likes to hang around there so beware.

Sorry, really bad at knowing which road I'm on.....I think it's the A329M towards Bracknell, from the Wokingham turnoff all the way past the roundabout where the Waitrose depot is and basically all the way to Bracknell.....is a 50mph max (roadworks near coral reef are 40mph at present). Drive at that speed though and you'll have a lorry up your tailpipe. But you're right, the Bagshot road further up (also a dual carriageway) up as far as the M3 is a 50mph, there's a mobile speed camera likes to hang around there so beware.

Yep, that's exactly where I was thinking of. Used to travel up that way 3x per week, although I never saw a mobile unit there! 50mph is a stupid limit which I guess is only really there because of the roundabout system they have there. Good fun to drive down that road though!

• Like 1

I got both this and a letter from warwickshire police (who caught me!) in the same envelope. Hmmm... Anyway doesn't make a difference! Still got to do the course

In Cheltenham, its exactly as JetSet mentioned afore. My partner got sent a letter a fortnight ago for 48 in a 40, initial letter confirming she was the driver at the time, then after returning the form received the option to take points or course. Opted for course and the £85 fee

I got both this and a letter from warwickshire police (who caught me!) in the same envelope. Hmmm... Anyway doesn't make a difference! Still got to do the course

Same as WINKJ. Mine was Bath & Somerset though. Received 1 letter saying this car reg was caught speeding at this speed on this road at date/time. As registered owner your options are a) if eligible do the course, 2) if not eligible pay the fine & points or 3) contest the offence/prove you weren't driving. That was over a year ago.....clearly didn't learn anything as been caught again since. Can't teach an old dog new tricks as they say lol Least the next time I did it in style and got the police to chase me down the motorway.....those Volvo's are surprisingly quick! Still, making amends now and am doing the Roadcraft advanced driving course. Just hope I get to the pass the test before my driving ban :(

As a "international comparison", I stupidly got caught doing 88 kph in a 50kph locally to where I live inside the Nordschleife earier this year. (yes your right I should have known better:))

Result was €148 with one point.As I dont have or need a German licence the point just hangs in limbo. :))

Lesson to learn by.When leaving the main gate turning right off of the roundabout, make sure you stick to the fifty limit as there is often an unmarked car sitting just the other side of the Meuspath turning on the left.

Alongside me awaiting the bad news was a brit GTR driver-dont know what happened to him after getting caught at 183kph though.!!!!!.

Good morning all, sorry to hear Z-BOY.

Just one little loophole that might help.......

Have you still got the letter? Check the day of sending carefully, and the supposed date of conviction.

If they date on the letter is 14 days after the conviction, this is now a invalid NIP, have a Google.

Good luck on the outcome.

• Like 1

Good morning all, sorry to hear Z-BOY.

Just one little loophole that might help.......

Have you still got the letter? Check the day of sending carefully, and the supposed date of conviction.

If they date on the letter is 14 days after the conviction, this is now a invalid NIP, have a Google.

Good luck on the outcome.

so this is really interesting:

my date of conviction was August the 2nd and I didn't receive the letter until the 20th August.

so this is really interesting:

my date of conviction was August the 2nd and I didn't receive the letter until the 20th August.

Again, it doesn't matter when, or even IF, you receive the letter. It's when the letter was sent that counts.

sorry. i didn't put that clearly!

the letter was issued on the 20th August. I was caught speeding on the 2nd August

• Like 1

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and the ISSUE date on the Notice of Intended Prosecution is more than 14 days after the offence, then you can reject it. This only applies if it is dated more than 14 days after the alleged offence. If the NIP has been issued too late, then you should return it to the Process Office stating that you reject it because it is time barred. Bear in mind that if you are not the registered keeper, the NIP may have originally been issued within time and sent to the keeper.