I'm gutted but lucky to be alive

andy james

Andy sorry to see this mate! As hard as it is and I can imagine how you feel, the car can be repaired or replaced but you can't to an extent. Glad you're ok, got lucky there the Z has done a great job protecting you. Maybe she knew once it was past the point of no return that all she could do from there on was protect her owner and sacrifice herself. If you need another car to transfer your engine etc over, mines sitting around doing nothing lol

• Like 1

Got back from holiday today and took a run out to take a more subjective and less emotional view of the car in its current state in a Barn!

1.Engine and all ancillaries seem intact along with all fluids.

2.drivers door,boot and bonnet open and close as they should.

3.passenger door seems to have taken the brunt of the impact along with the rear quarter,but they seem to have protected the chassis as both A and B pillars look ok.

4. Took the boot floor out and all looks good inside.

5.interior is full of glass/grass and dust but a new passenger seat,steering wheel,drivers side dash and the obvious passenger door she ain't too bad.

6.windscreen knackered.

7.suspension unknown but recon on new shocks/roll bars/arms etc.

So basically I have three options as I can see.

1. Hope the chassis isn't twisted and buy the interior parts,2 wings,1 door,repair the rear quarter,new front bumper,repair chargespeed rear and one side,refurb the wheels,sort suspension and re spray the whole car. Cost?

2. Buy another mint silver Hr and use as a organ donor to transplant all my goodies onto it and then sell off all the unwanted but lucrative parts such as engine,box,brakes,ancillaries etc which would avoid the expense of the body and paint shop.Cost depends on how much the donor car is?

3.harvest all the best bits of my car which by pure luck have come out of this unscathed.

gtm supercharger kit,Forged engine,art brakes,miltek exhaust,Racelogic traction control unit and many other parts including all the lights and put this money towards another car.

What would you do?....

I would first take some measurements of parts of the chassis and fixed suspension componants and then go to a non crashed Zeds and messier up again that. You can get an idea if you have made your frame a little wonky. If all ok I'd repair the car. The transplant idea sounds much more expensive and labour intensive. Such a shame.

Take a look at this chap and his gt86, took a tumble on a track day and has documented the whole ordeal. This is the 1st of 3 vids on it.

Edited by HAMLNJ
  • Like 1

Andy if you want pm or FB me if you wanted to buy another one and transfer it over, which in my case is what id do as you never know the extent of the damage underneath or the chassis even if it looks ok, I just wouldn't feel 100% in tracking it again. I haven't put mine up yet but it would be a damn sight cheaper than buying another unknown donor car!

I assume, you intend on carrying on with the very regular track days/ sprints?

If so, I would try and repair what you've got if it was financially viable.

I hate to say it, but you've bent it now, so why take the risk of bending another one? Get it fixed and get back on track!

• Like 1

I wouldnt get involved in option 1, its got to be the most expensive option and you still end up with a crash damaged car.

Option 2 or 3 for me, the high value items you dont need, engine/box, brakes, headlights just to start.

Is there anything else that tickles your fancy car wise for option 3?

Option 1 and 2 you could get everyone's opinions on. Depends on costs and extent of unseen damage

Option 3 is something only you can decide on. How much you loved the zed and whether it's time to move on or not, that's more personal than financial/technical

Andy - just a thought, avoid buying a HR if you don't have one now as some of your components will not fit a HR engine...seems to be a lot more expensive tuning up the HR at the moment too.

If it was me, honestly, I would move on from the Z now. May bring back bad memories - just try and take the positives with you going forward and look to another motor. I'm sure whatever your build thread would consist of and whatever car it may be, we will all be following with great anticipation.

Change the motor, but not the forum. :)