I'm gutted but lucky to be alive

andy james

Hi Andy, it was good to see you at Gurston yesterday, just gutting about the car. As Chris said, take a few days and have a chat with him. One way or another it can be resurrected.

Still can't believe it flipped! Roof looked immaculate.

Ps. Dibs on the spoiler - sorry had to be done :p

You might change your mind when you see the state of the spoiler, looks okay in the pics, but close up it's been...rearranged.

Wow that must have hurt, serious off right there. I've driven directly into a tyre wall (at a mere 30mph) and it wasn't fun, took a lot of time and money to fix the car after that. One thing it did make me realise is that having a steel chassis and panel car with a dozen airbags comes in handy some times. You'd be dead in an Elise. Give me five star EuroNCAP any day!

Not really, the construction of the Elise is massively strong. My dad had an off in his 4 1/2 years at Gurston (although a slightly earlier place on the hill, just before Hollow) and went off around 80mph sideways into the chalk bank. Like Andy, they checked him out and kept an eye on him, but otherwise okay.

• Like 1

Gutted for you mate :( I can totally empathise having been in the passenger seat when my friend took my zed through a fence and getting it smashed up - not as scary as your crash though, but can completely understand how you feel :(

They are remarkably solid cars I must say and it looked after you well.

I have to say I'm overwhelmed buy the kind words of you zedders.

The situation is this.

My stiff neck and back pain looks like its a temporary thing.

The car is in a barn under a tarpaulin for a while until I can collect her and remove all the crinkly panels to see what internal damage has been done.

As the roof didn't hit the ground and if the rear quarter damage hasn't twisted the chassis to much then there is a chance she can be saved.

Once again thank you all for your support

• Like 16

Beyond sad. I spoke to Andy a couple of years back at The Wales meet and there no doubting that he had put a tremendous amount of time, not to mention £££'s into what was his pride and joy. It's always sad to see any member's car smashed up like that but this one had me gasping "Oh No" when I first saw the thread.

Pete

• Like 1

Beyond sad. I spoke to Andy a couple of years back at The Wales meet and there no doubting that he had put a tremendous amount of time, not to mention £££'s into what was his pride and joy. It's always sad to see any member's car smashed up like that but this one had me gasping "Oh No" when I first saw the thread.

Pete

I was the same Pete, opening up this thread and worried what I was about to see.

Pleased to hear your injuries are not to bad mate. Sure Chris will be cracking the whip again with the build :)

• Like 1

So very sorry to see the damage to your car but good news your damage is temporary.

As you say, racing is risky and when the car doubles as a road car that is not the best of news but I have no doubt that with the friends and contacts you have made everything will be done to get the car back to what it was, if the further investigation hopefully reveals it is repairable. Let's very much hope that is the case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...