Donington -Tuesday 12th Feb! writeup+pics on page 11 onwards

sinbad

Sorry as not entirely relevant but as I am a zed track virgin I would do Bedford only if anyones up for that early next year?

Nearer the time I will start another thread on subject

Why Bedford only? :)

Bigger run off areas i guess...?

My concern would not be driving into the barriers, more other drivers driving into me which could happen anywhere? :blush:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry as not entirely relevant but as I am a zed track virgin I would do Bedford only if anyones up for that early next year?

Nearer the time I will start another thread on subject

Why Bedford only? :)

Bigger run off areas i guess...?

My concern would not be driving into the barriers, more other drivers driving into me which could happen anywhere? :blush:

+1 , i dont intend on pushing so hard to go near a barrier. Especially on my first track day.

Bedford is a big track & has big run off areas for other cars behind & infront of you & track is 12 meters wide in places with no armcos, barriers, just grass :) Also kitty litter at most tracks will ruin my lovely paintwork, but not at Bedford.

I did Donnington last month in a Ferrari 360 Modena & 911 Turbo for about 12 laps, lovely flowing track, but I could imagine it getting crowded in sections if busy. Whereas Id imagine Bedford being a longer, wider track would be less prone to. Silverstone is also a big track but for a beginner like myself ot could be a bit daunting. I did a Ferrari 355 experience last year & in the long straight you could see some very high speeds. :scare:

Couple of comments about Bedford:

1. I know of £14k damage done to a Noble when hit by a VX220.

2. I knocked off the oil pressure sensor switch when cutting across the grass.

So NO circuit is entirely safe but Bedford does have benefits. The biggest problem I would have is the EVO and Scobby crowd who want to drift around every corner but do not have the skill do so.

I suggest if you want safety, work out how many like minded cars are booked in. If it is full of EVO/Scobby avoid, if it all 7's, BMW, Porkers and Fezza then they have more to lose than someone in a Zed and ware likely to be more careful.

Another reason Bedford may be good is the noise restriction, hence the heavy modded crowd cannot run and therefore most car will be similar speed. Be warned a Radical approaches at unbelievable speed differential and wll get you twitching to get out the way quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok if not Bedford, anyone considered Donnington. I went there few months ago & loved the flowing circuit, they have unsilenced days called Trackzone Extra & more importantly have many sessioned days as well as open pit lane days.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/trakzone/

Come on chaps lets get this trackday happening!! :yahoo:

Talking about bedford Im going a bit off it as theyr open lane track days seem to be getting a bit of a rep as a hooligan/chav driver days,( as u mentioned Steveb) a recent such day with 50 cars on at once seemed to indicate:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=483652

Dont want to leave it too late for people to get time off work etc..

List is as follows:

Oulton Park (international circuit 105dB) - Friday 8th Feb £150

Sinbad

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

Dan

Donington (98dB) - Sun 10th Feb £130

Sinbad

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

Dan

Donington (unsilenced) - Tue 12th Feb £145

Sinbad

Sarnie

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

sl114 - Zedrush to give me a lift (TBC)

Dan

Ricky

Donington (98dB) - Sun 17 Feb £130

Sinbad

Jonathan73

Kev946

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

Dan

Steveb

Ricky

Donington (unsilenced) - Wed 27 Feb £195

Sinbad

Lomoto

Sarnie

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

sl114 - Zedrush to give me a lift (TBC)

Dan

Looks like 17th has most votes AND most drivers so far. ;)

Shall we give it until wednesday midnight and then see which has the most votes.

Come Thursday morning i'll post up which one we can go ahead and book.

Thread edited also.

Just so you know, I don't think I will be able to come on the silenced days, also jonathon73 has sold up so I don't think he will be coming on the 17th hence its a tie with unsilenced day :teeth::lol:

Looks like 17th has most votes AND most drivers so far. ;)

Shall we give it until wednesday midnight and then see which has the most votes.

Come Thursday morning i'll post up which one we can go ahead and book.

Thread edited also.

Just so you know, I don't think I will be able to come on the silenced days, also jonathon73 has sold up so I don't think he will be coming on the 17th hence its a tie with unsilenced day :teeth::lol:

yeah but i might change my vote come wednesday and theres actually more drivers on the 17th as louis dont have a car yet. So it would still make sense to go for the 17th.

Still things could change.

I'd come but will have to be a 105dB day or unsilenced, no way I'm going to pass a 98dB.... :lol:

But problem is that probably going to be changing jobs, therefore all of these are in notice period or just starting new job, therefore will probably have to leave.....

:blush:

I'd come but will have to be a 105dB day or unsilenced, no way I'm going to pass a 98dB.... :lol:

But problem is that probably going to be changing jobs, therefore all of these are in notice period or just starting new job, therefore will probably have to leave.....

:blush:

Just to reiterate, Donington don't normally do a static test on road cars. The drive by is 98 db's but you can ease off if you know where the sound meter is.. ;)

My Cossie is 105 db's static at 4k revs yet I've only been clocked at 104 db's max drive by, and then they let me play in the next session.

Its looking like i could fail the 98dB test. So im trying to get some more info on the itr-dc5 forum and ive asked around for a dB meter. If im over it may mean putting a bung in my exhaust which means 20-40bhp less or so i hear :dry:

If i get the dB meter how do i conduct the test? Obviously i'd want it similer to how donny do it.

No need for db meter's if you just go on an unsilenced day :)

I know ive just found this:

A'PEXi N1 110db @ 5500 RPM

thats without a manifold. :surrender:

I may have to reconsider my vote. i doubt im going to have a dB meter in time for closing of the votes.

Donington don't normally do static tests so no pint in buying one. The drive buy reading will be very different as it is much further away but the engine is under load.

Static tests are done at 45 deg to exhaust pipe one metre away both sides and with 3/4 of the max revs.

Donington don't normally do static tests so no pint in buying one. The drive buy reading will be very different as it is much further away but the engine is under load.

Static tests are done at 45 deg to exhaust pipe one metre away both sides and with 3/4 of the max revs.

Cheers Kev, i didnt initially think i would be near the limit. Maybe i was naive as i thought my Zed was just as loud with a cat-back. I cant really hear the exhaust note too much from in the car but other people comment on how good it sounds. The only time i hear it is when im going through a tunnel :dry:

I asked about on the ITR forum and ive been advised to go for the unsilenced day. Not only is my ecu mapped to my mods but i dont even have a OEM exhaust to put back on the car. I dont want to risk it to be honest and lose out on my money and a fun driving day.

In light of that im changing my vote. I'll still do a drive by test myself just out of interest. I know a decent country road i can do it on.

Updated - awaiting confirmation from Jonathan73 as per discussion earlier.

Oulton Park (international circuit 105dB) - Friday 8th Feb £150

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

Dan

Donington (98dB) - Sun 10th Feb £130

Zedrush

AndyC

Beavis

Dan

Donington (unsilenced) - Tue 12th Feb £145

Sinbad