Does anyone have a JDM code reader I could borrow? Near Ascot

Zalas

Hi, living with my in-laws at the moment and my zed is poorly! As I'm potentially going to have to trailer the car to be fixed I was wondering whether anyone had a JODB code reader I could borrow for a day or so to try to diagnose what the fault is, and whether it is that there is "too much oil in the spark well for it to fire"...

It started from a very bad misfire resulting in limp-home-mode and a transport back from Bournemouth to Sunningdale where it's currently languishing. I swapped the sparks over this weekend and visually inspected the coil packs -- there was oil in the spark well of cyl 6 (a lot!) but no bubbling of the coil pack so already contacted Horsham to get a quote for cam cover repair (don't really fancy stripping that much down myself!). After changing the sparks (and probably buggering my cat in the process as the oil went in to the cylinder and there was a *lot* of smoke) it started fine so I thought it was job done. However, starting for a test drive a few hours later resulted in limp-home and rough-running-on-5 straight away :(

Thanks in advance,

Al.

I do have a JODB reader, but nowhere near ascot im afraid. Sounds to me that its more likely to be a coil pack fault. When I did the cam cover repair myself I did get oil down in the spark plug hole, but it burns off within a few mins.

If youre saying yours did run, and then got in limp mode I doubt there's "too much oil in the spark well for it to fire"...

That's my thought too - unless it's gushing out so much that it fired after I drained it but then filled up between me switching off after changing plugs and me starting it a few hours later... :headhurt:

Am willing to travel (mbike) for code reader if one isn't near by...

A.

Edited by Zalas
  • Like 1

Hi,

Well put in a nice new set of coils (thanks, Ewen!) and started her up - she was running on all 6 but not very smoothly so I performed the various sensor resets and hey presto! Nice and smooth now with no engine warning light (it turned itself off for some reason)... took her on a nice long run in to London to aquire another steed for my fleet (2006 330d SE) as the Zeds time is unfortunately limited due to a "family expansion"... :D:unsure:

Edited by Zalas
  • Like 1

Hi,

Well put in a nice new set of coils (thanks, Ewen!) and started her up - she was running on all 6 but not very smoothly so I performed the various sensor resets and hey presto! Nice and smooth now with no engine warning light (it turned itself off for some reason)... took her on a nice long run in to London to aquire another steed for my fleet (2006 330d SE) as the Zeds time is unfortunately limited due to a "family expansion"... :D:unsure:

Bingo, glad you got it working and I guessed correctly hehe!

Family expansion, congratulations ;) but the Z must stay, its now part of your family...

Edited by cs2000

:D you and me both ;-) Was interesting - the packs that came off had no bubbling or any other issues and had good resistance on the multimeter.... I can only imagine it was a "dodgy connection" within the gubbins of the big black square bit on top...

Family expansion, congratulations ;) but the Z must stay, its now part of your family...

Trying to work out if I can justify the Stag, the Zed, the beemer and a runaround... as well as my motorbike; the stag is the constant as it's got sentimental value for t'other half otherwise that would have been gone.... Really don't want to lose the Zed!

On a related note looked at a CLK this weekend over in Kings Langley (TradeLink / Prestige and Performance, behind JZM Porsche) -- it's like a zed halfway house: must have had 8-10 zeds there including a gorgeous azure blue.

Edited by Zalas