Sticking throttle ?? Mine appears to be anyway...

Nigelp

I`ve noticed this happens all the time, if I`m accelerating, press clutch pedal to change gear and lift off accelerator, change gear and as i`m releasing the clutch, the engine revs havent fallen. Its just as if the throttle cable is sticking slightly.

Its more noticeable when accelerating through the gears hard, my passenger commented the other day and asked why I wasnt lifting off when changing gear !. I told them to watch my feet and they saw I was lifting my foot clear from the accelerator but the revs didnt drop :wacko:

Is this normal or something on my car? (06 model)

tried searching but had no hits for `sticking throttle`...

• 2 weeks later...

I had some problems recently after having having a new exhaust fitted. The problem was 'hunting' as if the throttle cable was stuck!. Even after trying an ECU reset the car when to 'limp' mode. Anyway the resultant problem was diagnosed as a faulty throttle pedal sensor. Warranty job in the end.

Guest prescience
Glad you got sorted - the reset you should try is not the ECU reset (although this never hurts) but the throttle position reset (Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning)

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

nice one dorian, added it to the guides :thumbs:

np - not a panacea, but just a starting point if you have issues.

[[whilst you're looking at Guides section Mike, can you change the ECU Reset Guide thread's link to technosquare.com to technosquareinc.com (at the bottom of the post) - technosquare.com is some other outfit entirely]]

• 4 months later...

Right, I`m trying to get to the bottom of this. Been to main dealer and they say its `normal` so could someone do me a favour and try the following please?

I find the motorway best, but in 6th, at 70, put your foot to the floor for say 5 seconds, then push the clutch and at the same time come off the accelerator.

Mine holds the revs for just under a second before dropping.

I`d expect the revs to fall immediately when I dip the clutch and release the throttle.

Could someone post their findings so I know if they are all like that or just mine.

It works in and gear, when you hold full throttle for a few seconds depress the clutch/accelerator, I just find it safer and repeatable when I do it on the motorway/ dual carriageway.

Cheers,

Nige.

• 6 months later...

Fletch (Mechanic at ESR) sat in the car today and said he didn`t think it was normal either.

I`m going to go to the main dealer AGAIN to try and get it sorted once and for all. It would have been nice to be able to go and say i`ve had other 350Z owners test theirs and not suffer the same symptoms.....

• 1 year later...

Hope you get to the bottom of this one folks (fortunately never had an issue with mine) but before I got mine I did read about a woman that had been killed as her accelerator jammed on and she crashed at a junction a few years ago? Probably a very rare event but worth just checking just the same :thumbs:

Hmmm ... all of a sudden the urgency of this problem has increased ...

:drive1

Hey I did'nt mean to panic anyone - how many have been sold here since 2003 and how many have crashed because of this potential issue - just 1 ? Of course how many more have ended up in ditches is another thing but we all know what that is!! :lol: