Bodybuilding.

TT350

This..

Well I did last year then I bought a house that needed renovating.....

and...

I used to do it religiously for years, until I had children, so now it's been a year and a half since I last picked up weights at the gym. BOOOOO!!! but like Arnie " I'll be back!! "

Is why I ended up stopping working out. I moved house back in 2010 and ended up having to gut it and redo the whole thing. So working out stopped and every spare minute went on fitting kitchen/bathrooms/plastering/painting/wiring/plumbing/tiling/flooring etc. etc. I did the whole thing myself. Saved loads on what id have ended up paying trade to do, but meant I had zero free time for about 3 years. I ended up loosing 2 stone in weight just running up & down the stairs all the time. Id find that once I got stuck into something id end up forgetting about lunch or dinner and so whilst I was burning loads of calories I just wasnt eating enough.

Then in 2013 had a baby, and so your up all night feeding, no sleep, still working 8 hours a day with a 3 hour round trip commute and doing all the house work, so your like a zombie with no time to do any working out.

So its only been since 1st July this year that ive managed to be able to get back in it. Normally after ive had some sort of lay off (usually due to injury), it can be really de-motivating when you realise that the weight you used to use to warm up with, you can barely even pick up. I found the weights I was using this time around were easily 1/3rd of what I used to throw around. But, after the first week or so, you soon get back into the swing of things. :thumbs:

• Like 2

So my story is a little different. im a pretty big fella.... 6ft 4 inch and fairly heavy build but have always struggled with weight (fat) I put on fat really easily. anyway about 18 months ago thought enough was enough and 22 stone was way too big and with my 40th birthday approaching I decided to do something.

with mainly cutting back on the diet (no rubbish... cakes crisps, chips... the usual) and with a healthy dose of cardio I lost 4 stone in a year.... during that time I also started lifting weights and now go 5 times a week with 40 mins cardio and 1hr 20 weights each day....I am building as my waist hasn't changed but my weight has gone back up by a stone... I know its not all about size but I now have a 39 inch waist 50 inch chest 17.5 inch bicep 20.5 inch calf and 28.5 inch thigh. I am eating clean (oats, zero fat greek yogurt (protein) tuna, chicken breast, brown rice, broccoli... you get the idea) and training hard plus taking glutamine and creatine but I am stuggling to lose the fat that sits round my belly and to a lesser extent on my love handles... I am slowly getting better shape to my arms meaning I am losing the fat covering little by little but its really hard.

I have tied no carbs... I have tried cheat days (I put fat on in a day!) I have tied all sorts.... currently trying low fat low carb high protein every day except on training days.... on those days I do low fat , low carb all day then after training smash loads of clean carbs (brown rice and sweet potatoes) something to do with spiking the natural insulin levels???

I know building muscle and losing fat at the same time is hard but I seem to have not lost anything in months......... eat big get big they say... if I do that I get fat even with all the training!

anything you guys can suggest?

Building lean muscle is a long term goal mate, so just hang on in there.

As the upper half of your body gains in size it will effectively pull some of the skin and fat up with and tighten it up around your stomach area.

Training abs will only strengthen your core, it won't banish any fats or anything from it, so stick to your diet, keep getting yourself down the gym and one more suggestion...

You don't need 40 mins cardio, high intensity & short work outs will help you burn fat a lot quicker! Plus you have more time for the jacuzzi then! :)

Big congrats on how far you've come fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

SteveM

Are you monitoring exactly how much you're eating? Even if it's all healthy stuff, if you're eating too much it will get stored. Use an online tool that includes your activity levels as well as your age weight and height etc to calculate how much you need. Then when you know how many you need to maintain your current weight then try and create a deficit of 1000cals a day. That should in theory equate to 2 pounds of fat a week. 7000cals.

Try an app with a food and nutrition database that you can log your food with. I use calorie counter by fatsecret. That'll make it easier.

High intensity cardio is good but straight after weights it'll eat your muscle. Rarely see bodybuilders doing HIIT but I always see them slowly walking on the treadmill on incline. Low intensity like walking directly after weights is good. Keep your heartrate about 120.

Fasted cardio IE when you first wake up is great for shifting lard. At my leanest and most muscular I was doing 45 mins walk in morning and 45 mins after weights in evening.

What's your alcohol consumption like?

They do say eat big to get big but over the years I've found I don't need to eat huge amounts.

Also with regards to the carbs after training - do it the other way around. Carbs ONLY directly before training. They call it targeted ketogenic diet. Zero carbs all day apart from before training.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

TT350 thanks for the reply...

Are you monitoring exactly how much you're eating? Even if it's all healthy stuff, if you're eating too much it will get stored. Use an online tool that includes your activity levels as well as your age weight and height etc to calculate how much you need. Then when you know how many you need to maintain your current weight then try and create a deficit of 1000cals a day. That should in theory equate to 2 pounds of fat a week. 7000cals.

(No I don't monitor exactly what I eat.... I will give the online things a try and see how I go)

Try an app with a food and nutrition database that you can log your food with. I use calorie counter by fatsecret. That'll make it easier.

(Ok I will have a look at that one)

High intensity cardio is good but straight after weights it'll eat your muscle. Rarely see bodybuilders doing HIIT but I always see them slowly walking on the treadmill on incline. Low intensity like walking directly after weights is good. Keep your heartrate about 120.

(Me and my gym buddy tend to do the cardio at the start of the workout to both warm up and get it out of the way first)

Fasted cardio IE when you first wake up is great for shifting lard. At my leanest and most muscular I was doing 45 mins walk in morning and 45 mins after weights in evening.

(I really REALLY struggle with energy in the mornings. I have tried training first thing but boy do I struggle)

What's your alcohol consumption like?

(I gave up booze completely for three months then went on holiday and have only been having maybe 2 pints a week on a Friday night)

They do say eat big to get big but over the years I've found I don't need to eat huge amounts.

Also with regards to the carbs after training - do it the other way around. Carbs ONLY directly before training. They call it targeted ketogenic diet. Zero carbs all day apart from before training.

(When you say directly before training do you mean as I walk in the gym or up to 30 mins before. Thanks for taking the time to reply)

trained since I was 16, Im now 45. Not trained since 2012 because I now have arthritis in my AC joints and lower back prolapsed disks, degenerated disks and ciatica and on 12-14 tramadols as day and Amitryptoline. Anyone recognising theses meds will sympothise with me. Always trained heavy, entered and placed in a few comps along the way, did all the meds, pre/post stuff, protein etc etc. Today...im a wreck but like Lee Preist........I'll be back. lol

TT350 thanks for the reply...

(Me and my gym buddy tend to do the cardio at the start of the workout to both warm up and get it out of the way first)

Do it after. After a long and heavy weights session all the blood glucose in your body should be depleted. This is basically your bodies immediate go to for energy. If it has none left it'll use fat for energy. But only if you're doing low intensity aerobic activity. IE walking. High intensity and it'll release a hormone to breakdown muscle tissue as well.

So lift weights, then low intensity cardio. Use the glucose to fuel your weights session then fat for the cardio.

(I really REALLY struggle with energy in the mornings. I have tried training first thing but boy do I struggle)

So do I. I hate mornings. But doing a spot of light cardio in the mornings really brightens you up.

(When you say directly before training do you mean as I walk in the gym or up to 30 mins before. Thanks for taking the time to reply)

45 to 60 minutes before. Eat a couple of slices of bread. Ideally for fat loss try not to eat any carbs. Take some amino acids 30 mins before lifting to safeguard against any potential muscle loss.

Hope the answers arent too sciency mate!

• Like 1

trained since I was 16, Im now 45. Not trained since 2012 because I now have arthritis in my AC joints and lower back prolapsed disks, degenerated disks and ciatica and on 12-14 tramadols as day and Amitryptoline. Anyone recognising theses meds will sympothise with me. Always trained heavy, entered and placed in a few comps along the way, did all the meds, pre/post stuff, protein etc etc. Today...im a wreck but like Lee Preist........I'll be back. lol

Arthritis and back problems are really detremental no doubt. And the tramadol. 12 to 14. Eesh. One or two of those wipes me out. Sorry to hear you're in this way buddy. Sympathise with you.

no not too sciency at all... been doing lots of reading and trying different things for a month at a time to see what works... my gym buddy will be pleased with the low intensity cardio idea as he hates it..... light cardio in the mornings eh... best get the Mrs on board!

no not too sciency at all... been doing lots of reading and trying different things for a month at a time to see what works... my gym buddy will be pleased with the low intensity cardio idea as he hates it..... light cardio in the mornings eh... best get the Mrs on board!

It should all be a win win for everyone then :)

• Like 1

And this is why I won't do heavy lifting and get seriously into bodybuilding ( although i would love to ) I try and keep balanced with it all . I try to just be healthy , eat well and be happy with the little progress I make . Bodybuilding is a cruel sport , you never get to where you want to be , very critical of others and yourself and can become very self centred . .....then you stop working out for 1 month and lose all your gains from a year .

This is my view of it and not to offend anyone . I would rather be fit and heathy with a half decent physic rather than obsessed with the gym/ supplements only to never be happy anyway .

I've trained off and on for a few years. Was always a complete weed when growing up (9 stone through most of my twenty's), until few year ago I got sick of being weedy and started lifting weights and bulked up, I got up to about 12 stone and was about 13% body fat within a year. I was surprised my body responded very well to training but I lost interest and after a year of not training I dropped to about 10.5 stone but ended up being "skinny fat", I still looked better than what i did originally tho, I'd rather a bit of shape and a belly than just being skin and bones :lol:

Currently back in the game and have been training for about 4 months, haven't been "bulking" or "cutting" this time, just eating clean, lifting heavy and cutting out the booze/takeaways. I'm now about 11 stone and have shifted the beer gut and put on some muscle. Aim to sort the diet out properly next month and start putting some weight on again.

• Like 1

I'm 27 and have been training since I started uni at the age of 18. Used to just do it for general fitness and leisure but this past year I've been training for UKBFF Men's Physique. My first time competing! I hit the stage on Sun 13th September at De Montfort Hall in Leicester (in case anyone's up for coming to watch :lol: )

My coach has put me through the paces of a mixture of high volume and heavy weight training to get myself in peak condition. Two methods I found most effective were GVT (German Volume Training) which is basically 10 sets of 10 reps on the major compound movements supplemented by isolation exercises. The second is a newer method introduced by Neil Hill called Y3T which consists of 3-week cycles. Week 1 is heavy, Week 2 is volume, Week 3 is total annihilation of giant sets and supersets and mulitple dropsets.

A few before and after pics of me (no homo lol)

Dec 2014

2015-08-21_11-27-29.jpg

Last night

IMG-20150820-WA0032.jpg

Very vascular :thumbs:

• Like 1

Very vascular :thumbs:

Even more so now bud!

2 and a half weeks out! To be honest I can't wait for it to be over. Has put a MASSIVE strain on my day-to-day life and also with family and friends. More so with the mrs as I'm restricted with meal times, going out, etc...I owe her a lot of make-up time once this is over!

• Like 1

My training is rather different.... I dont train for size, more strength - I used to do a lot of climbing, got injured and been struggling to go back. However, my training plan has remained the same.

Im currently at 76kgs, 5'10 and around 15%.... about a year and a half ago it was 70kgs and 9%, but then I injured myself climbing (4 tendons pulled in fingers, rotor cuff and a bicep - all done climbing :)). Sadly I still love it, but carrying up 10kgs of additional muscle is just not worth it!

I train back, triceps, chest, biceps and shoulders on individual days, rarely train legs (other than cycling and squash) and should be climbing weekends.

And this is why I won't do heavy lifting and get seriously into bodybuilding ( although i would love to ) I try and keep balanced with it all . I try to just be healthy , eat well and be happy with the little progress I make . Bodybuilding is a cruel sport , you never get to where you want to be , very critical of others and yourself and can become very self centred . .....then you stop working out for 1 month and lose all your gains from a year .

This is my view of it and not to offend anyone . I would rather be fit and heathy with a half decent physic rather than obsessed with the gym/ supplements only to never be happy anyway .

Years ago the training was completely different. Back then you would stuff ya face over the winter months putting a couple of stone on and lift big n heavy every session and hold alot of water (those who know, would know what I mean here), then about March time you would train lighter, train faster, still heavy but higher reps and more sets, this way on a cutting cycle with loads of cardio and lean eating and lower cals. Nowadays its all about looking good with a sub 10% BF all year round and cardio and eating clean is a must. If anyone needs advice your welcome to pm me as I've been there done it for a long time now. lol

Years ago the training was completely different. Back then you would stuff ya face over the winter months putting a couple of stone on and lift big n heavy every session and hold alot of water (those who know, would know what I mean here), then about March time you would train lighter, train faster, still heavy but higher reps and more sets, this way on a cutting cycle with loads of cardio and lean eating and lower cals. Nowadays its all about looking good with a sub 10% BF all year round and cardio and eating clean is a must. If anyone needs advice your welcome to pm me as I've been there done it for a long time now. lol

I still train like this. although im still on bulking season since last winter haha! :lol:

Training always evolves over the decades. From the golden era in the 70s with Schwareznegger, Nubret, Mentzer etc. Now you have the freaks of today like Markus Ruhl. Hideous.

I think the guys who want to stay 10% all year round are the Geordie Shore and Ex on the beach types who need to look good in da club at the weekend wiv da fake breitling and plunge V neck bright white tee. Lol.

I guess the bloat can be helped these days with ancillary meds and short ester compounds and low sodium intake ;)

Current back status after week 3 of Y3T - giant and drop sets. Christmas tree coming through! Ignore the playboy boxers :lol:

IMG_20150825_201842.jpg

Nipped in waist. Good stuff!

You really dig those playboy gruds eh lol.

I stick with my George keks lol.

• Like 3