Bodybuilding.

TT350

Sort of.

Basically I don't really enjoy exercising at all, ...I'm not one of these people who gets a buzz from it (although seeing results gives me a buzz) & I have to constantly push myself into doing it.

Probably a bit of a catch 22 situation here, don't like exercising so don't want to train that much and therefore not seeing results so still not wanting to train?

When did you last change your routine and what does your routine look like?

I'd hazard a guess that if you were often seeing results either in size or in being able to increase your lifts then you may enjoy it more?

I used to be similar, really lacked any motivation and just felt stagnant, had always been training using a 5 day split. I really detested "Arm day" and like you, just wanted to get it over with. (I'm one of those weird people that loves training legs :lol: )

I just felt like I wasn't training effectively or eating right at all.

So I did some research and changed the lot, I no longer train 5-6 days a week, I do 4 days and hit everything twice too! Never felt stronger.

I was finding that I was getting impatient resting between sets when for example my biceps were tired & I was waiting for my 30 second rest period.

So instead of just waiting for 30 seconds I'd switch to a predominantly shoulder exercise or tricep exercise (albeit probably using the bicep a bit) in order to keep doing something and get through my routine quicker.

You get impatient in only 30 seconds? :lol: I personally for example will train biceps and triceps together at the end of my routine with minimal rest between so there's nothing wrong with this per se but definitely not optimal for your entire routine.

Do you or anyone else on here use Creatine?

Yes I do, when you buy it just buy Pure Creatine monohydrate, it's cheap as chips as a supplement, I always buy 1kg from Myprotein.com for £11.99, I take 5g per day every day and this is 200 servings so will last me well over half a year from that single bag!

It's a really effective supplement and It's the only one i would recommend taking except for Whey Protein, almost all the rest are just a waste of money.

Creatine works by increasing your bodies stores of ATP - The muscles primary energy source and therefore should assist in having more energy/strength during your workouts. You may also notice looking a little fuller with creatine as it increases retention :thumbs:

Don't get me wrong I don't expect to get massive, especially not without massively increasing my protein intake etc but I just want to get more rounder bicep muscles with a good peak.

Any suggestions for seeing really good improvements on my arms?

The simplest answer would be to train arms effectively and EAT EAT EAT. Cannot stress enough how important eating enough food is, your muscles will not grow at all without the correct nutrition no matter how much you train.

So how does your routine and diet look? May be able to get some pointers in what to change to see those results you want :D

Edited by TomBorehamUK

What are your goals GM?

I think the main thing at the moment that I'd like to do is just get bigger arms (forearm, biceps & triceps).

When did you last change your routine and what does your routine look like?

So how does your routine and diet look? May be able to get some pointers in what to change to see those results you want :D

Haven't changed my routine in around 12 months now since I moved into a new house with the Mrs. Diet is reasonable considering I'm a fussy eater (mainly eggs, cheese, pasta, potatoes & Haribo) ~ last bit was a joke but I do like sweets & cakes. :lol:

Don't judge me too hard. This is my exercise routine for a Monday....

**Always start with 5-10 minute warm up**

5 Minute cycle

Exercise bike

Level 3 (goes up to 8 & I started on level 1 around 10 months ago)

-

5 Minute steps

V Fit Twister (like a stepper machine)

-

Sit ups (x25 reps ~ but have since realised the type I'm doing only do the top 2/4 muscles)

-

Concentration bicep curls

Dumbbell

8 reps

3 sets

-

Military press (overhead)

Barbell

8 reps

3 sets

-

Sit ups (x25)

-

Forearm roll

Dumbbell

8 reps

3 sets

-

Bicep/forearm curls (in front of body/alternate)

Dumbbell

8 reps

3 sets

-

Hand/forearm grips (using Grip trainers)

25 reps

3 sets

-

Bicep curls (normal grip/shoulder width apart)

Barbell

8 reps

3 sets

-

Tricep curls (behind/overhead)

Dumbbell

8 reps

3 sets

**30 Second rest interval maximum between sets**

The other two days are different, as in I vary the exercises I do, but follow a similar pattern in regards to rest periods between sets etc.

Hey Haribo's fine, especially after a grueling workout it can even be beneficial! :D

GM, When you've got a free morning/afternoon, have a read through this website http://www.aworkoutroutine.com

Some invaluable information on there :thumbs:

Seems like the Spanish inquisition :lol: but when you say your diet is reasonable do you actually keep track of how much you're eating? Total calories and breakdown of Macros?

Edited by TomBorehamUK
  • Like 2

Oh...I do take amino acids before during and after workout. It's the only thing I've found to be of any benefit. Seriously reduces doms.

It seems to me GM you could really benefit from a routine overhaul. It's no wonder you're seeing no results, matey! You've kinda got no aim it seems.

Sit ups. What's your goal there with 50 of these?

Leave the cardio until after weights. To warm up the muscle group you're about to train just do a pre set with a very light weight.

Why umpteen sets for arms but only a solitary set for shoulders.

I'll help you with something personalised over PM mate. I am coming to rescue you!

• Like 1

Hey Haribo's fine, especially after a grueling workout it can even be beneficial! :D

GM, When you've got a free morning/afternoon, have a read through this website http://www.aworkoutroutine.com

Seems like the Spanish inquisition :lol: but when you say your diet is reasonable do you actually keep track of how much you're eating? Total calories and breakdown of Macros?

Cheers Tom I'll have a read of that tonight when I get a chance.

Oh and as far as keeping track of calories I've never done that so wouldn't have a clue.

Also no idea sorry what a "macro" is unless you're talking about the shop "Makro" or a macro camera lens. :dry::lol:

Oh...I do take amino acids before during and after workout. It's the only thing I've found to be of any benefit. Seriously reduces doms.

It seems to me GM you could really benefit from a routine overhaul. It's no wonder you're seeing no results, matey! You've kinda got no aim it seems.

Sit ups. What's your goal there with 50 of these? Was hoping to get a six pack but seem to have developed a 4 pack due to the type of sit ups I'm doing. :lol:

Leave the cardio until after weights. To warm up the muscle group you're about to train just do a pre set with a very light weight. I might try that next week.

Why umpteen sets for arms but only a solitary set for shoulders. Pretty happy with my shoulders so tried to concentrate on my arms.

I'll help you with something personalised over PM mate. I am coming to rescue you! Okay.

:thumbs:

I'm getting there.....very slowly! Don't laugh please ;)

Have started keeping a diary so I can keep check. Been concentrating on arms, chest, back and abs as my legs already get a good workout through other sports. Had just moved up to 12kg for bicep/tricep curls, flyes, etc. (I know, pretty poor by your standards guys) but I'm relatively new to weights. Just back from holiday, so probably gone backwards a bit :( Although I was pretty pleased with my abs on holiday...even the gallons of cheap beer consumed didn't knock my 6-pack too much. Hitting the training again first thing tomorrow! Reckon by the time I'm 50, I might have the body I want lol

image_zps3vw0o6ko.jpeg

• Like 1

Cheers Tom I'll have a read of that tonight when I get a chance.

Oh and as far as keeping track of calories I've never done that so wouldn't have a clue.

Also no idea sorry what a "macro" is

This will be 90% of why you're not seeing the results you want, honestly.

You really do need to track what you're eating, it's a right Ballache when you first start doing it but soon becomes second nature. You MUST eat in a Surplus of calories to make ANY gains, period.

We all have a maintenance caloric intake, which is just the amount we need to function throughout the day, To breathe, move around, to do our jobs and for general bodily functions etc :)

It's dependant on your age, activity level and size but is fairly easy to figure out.

If you were to eat at this maintenance level you will stay at the same weight, if you were to eat below this, you'll lose weight and if you were to eat above....you gain weight :D

The type if weight gained is dependant on what you do, so if you just ate excess calories and didn't increase your activity level, you'll get fat. Whereas if you're working out in the gym and causing those microtears within your muscles, your body will use those surplus calories to repair and rebuild muscles ever so slightly stronger and bigger - without these calories this cannot happen, as TT said you can't build a house without bricks.

Sorry, Macros is short for Macronutrients, the main nutrients that our bodies need in large amounts, the main 3 you want to start tracking are Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates.

I think that site touches on this subject, but if you want any help in working out how to do this just ask, I wont profess to be an expert but am massively interested in the subject :)

Your routine does need changing Imo and there does seem to be some misinformation there as for the sit ups etc. (Sit ups will engage your entire core but are not even necessary to get a 6 pack, chances are you already have one, it's just hiding!)

Edited by TomBorehamUK
  • Like 1

I've devised this routine for GM. It's a 3 day split that I personally would use if I didn't want to work out 5 days a week. I feel it's comprehensive and accessible to intermediate lifters. It is vastly different to GM's.

Maybe it can help others too. I'm looking forward to seeing GM getting results from it.

Monday, chest and shoulders.

Flat dumbell bench press

Incline dumbell bench press

Flat flyes/pec deck.

Seated dumbell shoulder press

Front raises with barbel or cable

Seated dumbell lateral raises

Wednesday back and biceps

Wide grip later pull down

Narrow grip lat pull down

Seated pulley row (if you have one) if not then bent over barbel rows

Straight bar bicep curls

Seated dumbell hammer curls

EZ bar curls

Friday legs triceps

Leg press machine

Lying hamstring curl machine

Quad extensions

Straight bar skullcrushers

Cable triceps push downs

Dumbell kickbacks

Everything is 3 sets of 10 reps.

I'm getting there.....very slowly! Don't laugh please ;)

Have started keeping a diary so I can keep check. Been concentrating on arms, chest, back and abs as my legs already get a good workout through other sports. Had just moved up to 12kg for bicep/tricep curls, flyes, etc. (I know, pretty poor by your standards guys) but I'm relatively new to weights. Just back from holiday, so probably gone backwards a bit :( Although I was pretty pleased with my abs on holiday...even the gallons of cheap beer consumed didn't knock my 6-pack too much. Hitting the training again first thing tomorrow! Reckon by the time I'm 50, I might have the body I want lol

image_zps3vw0o6ko.jpeg

Missed this Kraziekats, looking good! The diarys definitely a good call :thumbs:

Missed this Kraziekats, looking good! The diarys definitely a good call :thumbs:

Cheers Tom :) Understandable miss, not a lot there to see at the moment lol

August has been pretty disruptive with lots of holidays, meals out, etc. Looking forward to getting back into a routine of diet, exercise & making some real progress!

So I forgot my gym closes early in bank holidays, so...I ended up at the park in the evening doing umpteen sets of various grip pull ups/chin ups, dips/press ups until I had a good pump. Then finished off with some abs from a bench, then made it interesting by doing some core work on the seesaw :lol: surprising how good a bodyweight workout feels especially out in the open!

Had some awesome very high intensity weight workouts over the weekend. Not sure why tbh as ive been up since 3am every day this week and am having very little sleep due to feeding the baby. Diet etc not changed, but for some reason I seemed to find extra energy/intensity. Strange.

Still sticking to the dumbells for a while, and am noticing that as expected, they are hitting me harder as you have to control them more than a bar etc.

Very fashionable, s7nny.

In what sense?!

It's the in thing now to be able to do that isn't it. Like parkour used to be.

See a lot if this "gym vs street" workout stuff lately.

Using playground equipment etc.

Edited by TT350

Very fashionable, s7nny.

In what sense?!

There is a russian guy I used to follow on Youtube who made some videos of his body progression, ...he did loads of body weight exercises using playground equipment etc. Such a strong guy I couldn't believe some of the things he was able to do.

Basically stuff like these guys...

Very fashionable, s7nny.

In what sense?!

Callisthenics has always had quite a big following. I don't think it's particularly 'fashionable' at the moment, not compared to the likes of CrossFit etc