350z vs e46 M3

GT Driver

Had a go in this a couple months back at silverstone. a98fad67305f03ea345fab9be5f29052.jpg

Has had a few bits done, some expensive exhaust work, and intake. Remap, gearbox software map and big brakes.

This was doing well and with a clean lap was holding its own against my uncles 991 gt3!

Very impressive car and sounds awesome!

• Like 2

German cars are generally more about the engine noise up front and Jap cars are more about the exhaust noise out back. Beemer straight six is a silky creamy high class thing compared to the thrashy VQ. Zed zorst for the win though...

That's a very good way of putting it, totally agree with you. Exhaust noise is fine, but induction noise is more aurally pleasing sound inside the cab I reckon.

• Like 1

Yea I got up the arse of an e46 the other day and nothing on the road as both cars get up to a dangerous speed so quickly, only long Staights and twists on a track show the marinal difference I think. like

I think design wise both 350 and e46 will be classics, the 350z was miss and saving grace as it was a fantastic mid range sports car that revitalised the brand.

All I know is this, if I wanted to buy my old E46 back it would cost me a grand more than I paid for it originally! Typical!

Don't get me started on my old NSX as that's gone skyward in price!

Missed the boat is the phrase that fits my lack of vision when it comes to keeping appreciating assets :)

Edited by Zeezeebaba

A mate brought along his E92 M3 to one of our hooning sessions and frankly it looked like an out-of-place breeze block next to the fezzas, porsches and astons there. I appreciate the engineering and sure it kept up with us, but what a tediously dull car to look at. Shame you have to spend £100k+ on an i8 or 6 series to get a nice looking beemer these days.

A mate brought along his E92 M3 to one of our hooning sessions and frankly it looked like an out-of-place breeze block next to the fezzas, porsches and astons there. I appreciate the engineering and sure it kept up with us, but what a tediously dull car to look at. Shame you have to spend £100k+ on an i8 or 6 series to get a nice looking beemer these days.

I would image it would, the M3 is a saloon, the others are all sports cars, not even remotely in the same category, neither is the Zed.

A mate of mine has a 2004 E46 M3, with the SMG transmission. I am quite surprised (as is he) at how little difference in performance there is between the two cars - particularly on the Irish 'B' section roads during a spirited run. On paper, the M3 putting out an extra 60 horses with similar weightings (think the M3 is slightly heavier).

As a matter of interest, does anyone have experience in owning both cars? How did they compare and which did you prefer? I've only driven my mates one for a few miles so can't really comment other than the car seems well planted and has a serious rasp under full flet. Didn't get to throw it into many corners. Oh, and reverse took me a while to find on that SMG box!

Bought a new E46 M3 drop top with Ac schnitzer zorst back in 03,now own a zed which again I've had from new.

Still miss that M car now as it was one of the best cars I've owned.

Putting to one side the technological advances made with cars since then this is my comparison( coupe) not conv.

1. Performance wise a standard Z wont keep up on track due to the power disadvantage but balance and drivability on the throttle they are on a par.

2.yes the standard brakes on the m3 are shocking!

3. Exhaust note of that strait 6 at 8000 rpm rasping away is intoxicating!

4. Interior/seating of the BM was second to none.but in the Z you feel your in a drivers car.

5. Looks are subject to taste as each car is classed as a coupe and they are both so different,( saloon based verses ,two seater)

6.If I was in the market with 6k to spend on either it's a tough call if you have no desire to modify.

7. Gonna keep my old Datsun till they put me in a box...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A mate of mine has a 2004 E46 M3, with the SMG transmission. I am quite surprised (as is he) at how little difference in performance there is between the two cars - particularly on the Irish 'B' section roads during a spirited run. On paper, the M3 putting out an extra 60 horses with similar weightings (think the M3 is slightly heavier).

As a matter of interest, does anyone have experience in owning both cars? How did they compare and which did you prefer? I've only driven my mates one for a few miles so can't really comment other than the car seems well planted and has a serious rasp under full flet. Didn't get to throw it into many corners. Oh, and reverse took me a while to find on that SMG box!

Bought a new E46 M3 drop top with Ac schnitzer zorst back in 03,now own a zed which again I've had from new.

Putting to one side the technological advances made with cars since then this is my comparison( coupe) not conv.

1. Performance wise a standard Z wont keep up on track due to the power disadvantage but balance and drivability on the throttle they are on a par.

4. Interior/seating of the BM was second to none.but in the Z you feel your in a drivers car.

5. Looks are subject to taste as each car is classed as a coupe and they are both so different,( saloon based verses ,two seater)

6.If I was in the market with 6k to spend on either it's a tough call if you have no desire to modify.

Love mine too, my kids won't let me sell it!!

M3_1.jpg