MPG Madness: 41.1mpg average over 200miles

Pritchard

that's the great thing about engine technology... years gone by you'd be happy that any car could do 30mpg on a cruise, let alone one that's got 270bhp. Nowadays the new BMW M4 can do 40mpg on a cruise, and that's got 425bhp! as you say, you might not ever actually do a cruise, but its nice to know if you do need to cross a continent you've got a decent range.

I got 34.1 on a 100 mile trip Lynn to Hull - and that's including that superb driving road up by Horncastle was chucking it down so was more moderate that if driven in finer weather conditions

I recently did a trip to Swansea from Farnborough and back. My route home involved the Black Mountain road for a couple of runs as well and i still managed an average of 36mpg. I did not have my cruise at that low speed either.

On a run these cars are really good for what they are.

I would say what you could try is to see how low you can get the MPG on the way back but I'd hate for you to get pulled by the rozzers. :scare::lol:

In my Mk 11 16v Golf GTi - the first car I had where you could get the mpg read outs on the dash - after I bored myself with seeing the maximum fuel economy I could get, I then did this - so much more fun !!! ;):lol:

I did Peterborough to Dundee in July average 56 MPG with two stops couldn't believe it so I reset everything for the way back and still got 50 MPG and was having fun both ways when I got away from the cameras but in the winter on short runs I do manage to get it as low as 11 MPG. WHO NEEDS A TOY CAR WHEN A REAL ONE CAN DO THIS. :teeth:

RESULTS OF RETURN

if anyone cares, i did 70mh on cruise on the return leg. finished at 36.6mpg with 195 miles travelled. :)

also to note, based on both of my results, the 'average mph' on the trip computer under reads by about 10mph. cruised literally the whole way at 70, with no traffic and only a handful of miles at 50mph. and it read 61mph average. simila result to my first run.

i'll go back to SmilesPerGallon now (well done whomever above coined that).

but a little taste of whats possible - 36mpg without risk of speeding tickets, and while overtaking lorries :) not bad for a car rated 27mpg extra urban.

Edited by Pritchard

The MPG on the Z is only a hair less than the Mk6 Fiesta ST

ST on Motorway you could get 44mpg, but 36ish was more reasonable.

Around town 20 was about right.

Floor it for single figures.

Not bad for a 3.5 V6 v's a 2.0 Duratec

Edited by Juggalo

• 3 weeks later...

You're not the only one then :), 3 months of owning mine now, 5,000 miles later , getting roughly 400 miles per tank think I put about £65 ish in last week premium 99 octane stuff and gauge was right on the red getting over 30mpg on motorways. 41mpg thats petty good going , gonna try it out tomorrow evening got a 80 mile journey to do.

One of the main comments I get is it must drink fuel.... and I'm like no it's costing me less :D .. My Audi A6 1.8T was worse on the MPG I was on average putting an extra £15 - £20 in a week plus it's burnt hardly any oil (a couple of hundred ml max) compared to the 5 litres of oil my a6 would have burnt . Bare in mind mainly motorway driving in the not so busy times and country road driving, Mixed driving style, mainly chilled and the occasional blast to 5 1/2 k rpm or thereabouts once warmed up dry and straight.

That must have been sooooo boring.

Driving slow makes me tired.

Good effort though!

Too true, I remember when I had my Zed every time I went to Newcastle I would try and get an MPG like this, I think the furthest I ever got was Cambridge with around the 40 mark but it felt like I had been driving 4hrs already so I went from 60ish to 80ish the rest of the way and ended up with my usual 32/33...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk