Finally drove a GT-R, but might have crushed my dreams.....

Kraziekatz1

Have always loved the big muscle cars like skyline and GT-R, grew up in awe of the GT-R safety car used in Superbikes and always wanted one. Got to take one out on track yesterday and don't get me wrong, it was awesome. Never driven an automatic in my life, and never want to as I like to be in control of the car, not let the car choose which gear it thinks I should be in, but I got the hang of the paddle gear shift really quickly and it does save time not having to take your hands off the wheel. The car was incredibly powerful and effortless, very precise. It goes exactly where you want it to, perfect set up for grip and stability (track was initially damp). I was conscious of the weight though, particularly into tight hairpin bends but found because of the set up I was able to brake later and jump back on the throttle much quicker than the other cars and so was able to overtake on corners as well as the straights :) It does feel big though, you sit so much higher, a lot of gizmos to play with plus it has seats in the back, as long as your passengers don't need leg room ;)

But I did miss the feedback I get from the zed, I know mine is maybe set up a little different to standard 350s but I love the way I can feel the camber and road surface back through the wheel and when I push a little too hard, the back end starts to slide away. The zed can be twitchy and punishes a sloppy driver but it definitely feels more fun to drive :) I noticed it straight away jumping from the GT-R back to the zed.

So.....always thought I would upgrade the zed for a GT-R but now I don't think that would work! The GT-R would make a great daily ride. Very comfortable, easy but powerful, practical and to be honest after 2 hours stuck in traffic my left leg starts to cramp up so the paddle gears would be a very welcome option. It feels a bit like driving the Scooby in terms of road handling, guess that's the AWD vs RWD. But I wouldn't want to give up my zed for that....not just yet, anyway :)

Edited by Kraziekatz1

You obviously weren't pushing it anywhere near its limits. Can't compare driving 1 car on is limits to driving another briskly and expect the same kind of feedback.

I went from 350z to GTR and not for a single moment do I miss the zed, especially having taken the GTR on a good few track days now. And I loved the zed!

Oh I agree, definitely not anywhere near its limits. I mean I was pushing hard, a couple of laps in and the driving instructor said he was happy I knew what I was doing and could give it some and have a bit of fun, but it clearly it had so much more to give. But to be honest I'm not a complete nutter and don't drive the zed on its limits either. But that's not the point I was making, power and handling, the GT-R wins hands down but the ride just felt a little too refined and polished....I missed the rough, rawness. My buttocks remained un-clenched, so to speak lol

You obviously don't agree? Maybe someone should let me borrow their GT-R, so I can have another drive ;)

, the GT-R wins hands down but the ride just felt a little too refined and polished....I missed the rough, rawness. My buttocks remained un-clenched, so to speak lol

You must have had the "GT-R in Granny off to the shops" mode.

Edited by ZMANALEX

You know if a car is right for you or not. Sounds like the GT-R isn't, no shame in that, I wouldn't want one either.

I always wanted to drive a Hummer H2, then my Dad bought one. It's one of the most horrible things to drive in the history of the world. :(

• Like 2

I can understand what your saying as it can be more fun driving a slower car past its limits than a fast car faster but still within its limits but for me my gtr was the best experience I had was driving it round Spa. At my limits. The car had much more as Alex showed me at knockhill :-D

• Like 1

I don't know if your Z is forced induction or not, but going FI on the Z really changes it's characteristics. It really overcomes that 1550kg inertia and the change in power delivery while still smooth (with my kit anyway) is much more explosive.

I'm probably just stating the obvious. But what I mean is, it sounds like you enjoyed the power of the GTR but prefer a more tactile and visceral car like the Z. I think the Z really suits being FI or rather the 100 or more extra horses and torques.

Whoever started this "GTR's drive themselves" thing is one hell of a marketeer ............ :lol:

If youre driving a GTR, turn everything off, remove your brain and give it to a friend to look after, then do things you never thought were possible. Repeatedly. The feedback and all that are just as good, youre just going a shedload faster.

The only thing Id knock it for is weight, if feels markedly bigger and less unwieldy, but that hardly unexpected.

You know if a car is right for you or not. Sounds like the GT-R isn't, no shame in that, I wouldn't want one either.

I always wanted to drive a Hummer H2, then my Dad bought one. It's one of the most horrible things to drive in the history of the world. :(

Spot the Essex boy! :razz:

I have never driven one so can personally offer no insight. A guy I used to work with however used to race TVR Tuscans amongst other things and is now an instructor, does Mercedes test days etc, his first drive of the GTR was at combe along with a Maclaren Mercedes and SL Black, obviously he said it was devastingly quick, but he remarked on that it felt light and nothing like the 1750kg it actually is, which is quite the opposite to a couple of comments here. Would it depend on what you are used to or does it genuinely feel that heavy?

I does not feel heavy as such

It just happens to be a heavy car and takes a bit of stopping on track, however if you upgrade the brakes then that should not be a problem

The car is very nimble through the curves and not much can stay with it in the right hands.

Getting the power down (WOT) just before the apex transfers the torque split from rear to front and just pulls you through the corner.

But you need to have balls to maximise that stunt. :)

• Like 1

I think I know where you are coming from here, even on the donnington Nissan Event day the GTR boys were very quick off the mark but as soon as you got to a tight corner they were all over the place. For me the corners are the fun part as TBH any car can do 3 figures these days.

It's not shame not to like it, not everyone can! You know the Z now too, I bet you felt a bit detached in the first week of ownership though.

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

When I drove the GTR (Before I purchased my Z) I found the car was very fast but I thought it felt quite light, definitely did not feel like it was 1750kg. I also feel like it was very refined and smooth. I have always fancied a GTR and would probably still like one in the future but one thing I am not too sure on is the paddle shifters. They are brilliant for daily driving (I hired a car in america which had paddle shifters) it makes driving well and truly effortless but something about the paddle shifters just felt like I was cheating :lol:

Getting the power down (WOT) just before the apex transfers the torque split from rear to front and just pulls you through the corner.

But you need to have balls to maximise that stunt. :)

Alex, will Titanium GR7 balls do the job? :lol:

Afraid not mate unless mixed 50/50 with haggis. :lol:

• Like 1

You're right Ad, and I probably need to spend more time behind the wheel to get a true feel for the car. I still enjoyed it, and it was SuperCar day! So, it was pretty cool being able to overtake all the Megabucks cars, the guy driving the Lambo must have been really disappointed :)

OH seems relieved with my first impressions of it though.......his cheque book is safe for a while longer lol

• Like 1