Proper Wash Guide + Add Your Favourite Detailing Products

Stutopia

Just curious... But what's peoples general opinion on autoglym products? I used to use them a lot, but have noticed they don't seem to be mentioned much on here :)

Readily available and adequate, but their products are neither the cheapest not the most effective in my experience. They're aimed at the mass market car washing rather than the detailing niche though, so they tend to produce products that get shine easily rather properly - I.e. Fillers and silicones everywhere.

Most of the product variety I've experienced has been from Waxybox samples, which never featured any AG stuff. I have used their two leather products, for cleaning and conditioning seats, seemed decent to me; but I've not had cause to try any others yet as the tubs are huge and I CBA to do the seats that often :lol:

Used the degreaser around the engine bay a bit, not sure it was any better than APC and I have other APCs that smell better!

Bin the leather conditioner mate, it's doing more harm than good on your seats. :thumbs:

Most of the product variety I've experienced has been from Waxybox samples, which never featured any AG stuff. I have used their two leather products, for cleaning and conditioning seats, seemed decent to me; but I've not had cause to try any others yet as the tubs are huge and I CBA to do the seats that often :lol:

Used the degreaser around the engine bay a bit, not sure it was any better than APC and I have other APCs that smell better!

Bin the leather conditioner mate, it's doing more harm than good on your seats. :thumbs:

It's not doing anything on my seats, it's only been sprayed once, 18 months ago :lol:

One fewer stage to worry about now :teeth:

Sonax - BSD = awesome

This stuff lasts about 5 washes for me, I like it :)

I think this stuff is great, I used to just spray it on wet paint before towel drying, for extra lube and a quick layer of gloss.

I can't imagine anyone not liking it, except Matt, but he's mad :stir:

• Like 2

Just curious... But what's peoples general opinion on autoglym products? I used to use them a lot, but have noticed they don't seem to be mentioned much on here :)

Readily available and adequate, but their products are neither the cheapest not the most effective in my experience. They're aimed at the mass market car washing rather than the detailing niche though, so they tend to produce products that get shine easily rather properly - I.e. Fillers and silicones everywhere.

Cheers mate!

Went out for a drive with the NW boys yesterday and got her nice and filthy, probably the dirtiest she's been. Thankfully the weather was perfect today so I thought it might be a great chance to try a couple of different snowfoams on my heavy soilage.

IMG_6833_zps07rkodbi.jpg

Shockingly, having rummaged through my goodies, I only had one snow foam (more on it's way now! ) Envy's Bubbly Jubbly. I'm just about through the 5L I bought and was really quite impressed with it's efforts today. I'd have bought more if I wasn't looking to try the Bilt Hamber offering.

sidebyside_zpsd1ywmrmp.png

The right pic is just after pressure washing the foam off. I used a smidge more than is the recommended amount, 200ml in a 1L lance. Good results, however, nothing touchless seems to get anywhere near the streaks. That seems to be the ultimate touchless test for me.

IMG_6853_zpsc4s5gi8a.jpg

In other news, whilst I was looking for snow foams I found this huge glass bottle of Glacier Wax Pure Shampoo, not really sure why I haven't used it by now or why I can't find a site selling it.

IMG_6857_zpsfg7nisft.jpg

What I am sure of is that it's epic. It said to use 30ml in a bucket but with shampoo (unlike waxes and sealants) I don't believe less is more, in fact, I think more is more. So it got about double the recommended dosage and boy does it work.

It foams like you would not believe, the suds are thick and let the mitt glide effortlessly over paint, to top it off it has a gorgeous spearmint scent. This stuff might be the best shampoo I've ever used.

• Like 2

I found this huge glass bottle of Glacier Wax Pure Shampoo, not really sure why I haven't used it by now or why I can't find a site selling it.

Because;

a) it cost a f**king fortune, and

2) because Glacier Wax rebranded to Frost Car Care.

It is a great shampoo though, it's just... unreasonably priced. :p It used to be even more unreasonably priced befor rebranding, I recall it being £70/litre and only available in the fancy glass bottle, although they seem to have addressed the expensive glass bottle only option now.

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1

Ten points to you :thumbs:

I remember it being expensive now, must have been a Waxybox sample I liked. I've got two other bottles of their other stuff in the garage, so I'm guessing it was a deal when I splashed out on it.

***searches email***

Yeah, I got some Black Diamond and ICE thrown in, £25 for all three. Wonder what the other two do, they sound glassy and tyrey...

You could totally get away with using just 25ml of it though, so at £15 for 500ml in the poverty spec bottle that makes it, err, 2,4,8,8,10, socks off... just twelvety pence a wash. Bargain! Seriously though 75p a wash isn't outrageous for how good it is.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I got some detailing vouchers recently and splurged on a new set of quality towels. Given how good almost everything Gyeon related I've tried is, I decided to get a selection of their MFs.

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/softwipe/

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/baldwipe/

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/polishwipe/

These are really superb quality and I will do my best to look after them. If you're in the market for towels for applying/removing product, I'd say these are very much worth a look. 

However, the daddy was the SilkDryer drying towel.

http://gyeonquartz.com/product/silkdryer/

I had a Meg's drying towel, it was fine. I bought a Woolly Mammoth, it was bigger and better than the Megs. This is smaller than a WM but if it even sees water, upto a distance of 5 miles, the water leaps on to the towel. If you took it out in the rain, you'd probably drown. It's absolutely superb and super soft.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...