5th and 6th gear struggle after a clutch change

Rocky4510

I've just had my clutch and flywheel changed (both OEM parts), got the car back and all is good clutch-wise, but since having it back 5th and 6th gear is a real struggle to get into gear.

5th gear aint so bad, but its still slightly tough, and 6th gear you really have to pull it down hard to get it in gear. It doesnt 'crunch' or anything, it just holds back. I took it back to the mechanic and he thought he had done up a bolt too tight on the box, he tampered with that a little but it was still the same. He now says it could possibly be a bent fork?

Gears 1-4 + reverse are normal, as they were before. Any help/suggustions will be apperciated

You could do it yourself mate if you have a 10mm socket. It was one of the first things I did when I got my Zed. Takes about 10mins.

Guide I used:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/50363-recalibrating-the-gear-gate/

I used this vid on youtube as a visual aid:

You dont need to remove the bolt under the car and obviously stop when it comes to removing the gear gate itself.

:thumbs:

You could do it yourself mate if you have a 10mm socket. It was one of the first things I did when I got my Zed. Takes about 10mins.

Guide I used:

http://www.350z-uk.c...-the-gear-gate/

I used this vid on youtube as a visual aid:

You dont need to remove the bolt under the car and obviously stop when it comes to removing the gear gate itself.

Thanks Cookie, I tried a search earlier but had no idea what to look for, thats excataly what I need by the sounds of it! I'll do it tomorrow.

Thanks again :thumbs:

Quick question, in that video he just screws the knob off. I've read that that could do some damage and that you need grips to hold it in place before screwing. Is that a must or will I be okay doing what he done in the video? (I dont have 2x grips personally, but probably could get hold of some from family)

Quick question, in that video he just screws the knob off. I've read that that could do some damage and that you need grips to hold it in place before screwing. Is that a must or will I be okay doing what he done in the video? (I dont have 2x grips personally, but probably could get hold of some from family)

I'd advise another set of grips... Mine was REALLY stuck on and was nowhere near as easy as it looks in that video to do by hand

• Like 2

Same happened to me when I had my clutch done. The garage fixed in in about 30 seconds when I took it back, they didn't even take the knob off. They just lifted the gaitor, loosened the nuts slightly and then got me to check it was in the position I was used to before they tightened it up again.

The guy that did it didn't pull all the way to the right when he put it in 5th/6th like I do so he didn't notice the alignment had changed very slightly.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I just made a youtube video on how to sort it out step by step since I couldn't find a single video on how to do it. Heres the link for anyone who is still having this issue, i just changed my clutch and flywheel and had the same problem. Your welcome B)

• 1 year later...
On 10/08/2015 at 21:14, ChrisB said:

^^ These. Was looking for a picture in my library..

This gold coloured chappie

10162ae308c61dc9e927f99dea75f005.jpg

Maybe 4 years on but I'm having this problem. I got the car back from the garage and couldn't select 5th and 6th without sliding the shifter back to the middle a bit. So looked at the plate and moved over all the way and made no difference. Then I realised the small piece that is on the right if the gear stick which is supposed to line up with the metal plate is on the other side so it's on the left side like my whole sticks in backwards. Can anyone shed any light on it? Not sure if it's wrong or not.