Project: WeaponiZed

V1H

On 23/03/2018 at 20:18, V1H said:

Unfortunately an oil line for the external front-mounted oil cooler burst a large leak, 2 days ago. I rolled the car back into the garage to jack it up and remove the bumper/undertray to locate the fault. The car will be immobile for the time being :surrender:

It's a mysterious thing that such steel-braided line with extra protective sleeving would fail some 15cm away from the connector, at a seeminlgy random spot...

Because it is way too expensive to haul the car to H-Dev (£300-400) I will have to try repair the leak myself; it's a crazy tight maze of hoses and pipes under there. Most difficult part will be sourcing a replacement pipe. Bought it in 2014 from Z1 Motorsports, USA. I've had troubling experiences with them in the past...

Leak_1.JPG

Leak_2.JPG

Ahh damm bro ;(

Sorry to hear this, hope it all works out well and is fixed for you.

I too would like to know how this has occurred.

I just went to my shop today to check up on my build and they are very close to complete now. They rekon, 1-2 weeks and it will be ready to start her up.

And alot of the discussion with them today was actually on all the lines like this. The oil, lines, fuel lines, vaccuum, AC etc are all in very tight and hot places that they are trying to modify for better and more safe position.

On 06/04/2018 at 10:58, shadow85 said:

Ahh damm bro ;(

Sorry to hear this, hope it all works out well and is fixed for you.

I too would like to know how this has occurred.

I just went to my shop today to check up on my build and they are very close to complete now. They rekon, 1-2 weeks and it will be ready to start her up.

And alot of the discussion with them today was actually on all the lines like this. The oil, lines, fuel lines, vaccuum, AC etc are all in very tight and hot places that they are trying to modify for better and more safe position.

All the best for your build.

I have now replaced the broken oil line with a new one, made up identically by H-Dev and free of charge. Thx Jez!

But I don't really know why the leak occured, seems very odd. No rubbing, heat or other obvious stresses.

While my car is jacked up I am also taking opportunity to relocate my intake filter out of the engine bay for a cooler charge. It takes me making up some custom tubing. On top of this, the relocation frees up precious space for me to finally install my dual Radium OCCs :teeth:

But I need to remove/modify the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make space for the driver side intake filter. Will post pictures soon.

50 minutes ago, V1H said:

All the best for your build.

I have now replaced the broken oil line with a new one, made up identically by H-Dev and free of charge. Thx Jez!

But I don't really know why the leak occured, seems very odd. No rubbing, heat or other obvious stresses.

While my car is jacked up I am also taking opportunity to relocate my intake filter out of the engine bay for a cooler charge. It takes me making up some custom tubing. On top of this, the relocation frees up precious space for me to finally install my dual Radium OCCs :teeth:

But I need to remove/modify the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make space for the driver side intake filter. Will post pictures soon.

Do you know what temps you are getting with the filters in the current location ? 

On 13/04/2018 at 10:12, nissanman312 said:

Do you know what temps you are getting with the filters in the current location ? 

No, I don't. Jez@H-Dev suggested a filter relocation as a future job but it was an O.K. solution at the time of install and for the time being.

With the first summer coming along, my relocation gives me peace of mind and perhaps marginally better performance when the ambient temps will rise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After I fixed the oil line leak I successfully relocated the intake filters , which required me to reduce the windscreen washer reservoir to about half its size. I hacksawed it into pieces and plastic welded back together, using a low wattage soldering iron. With a glue gun I touched up the one or other tiny leak hole in the weld seam.

BEFORE vs AFTER :

Washer%20reservoir%20before.JPG Washer%20reservoir%20after.jpg

The relocation freed up some space in the engine bay where I could mount my dual OCCs (white arrows). At the same time, I converted the stock PCV system to VTA (vent to atmosphere) - the practically best solution for F.I.

OCC_3.jpg

Just in time ready for the JapFest. See you this Sunday! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats on getting her up and going again!

Wow, did you say you have also just relocated the intakes??

I was going to get my workshop to do this also but they wanted an extra $2K for it, so I have left it in the stock location for the time being. And after 5 bloody months they have finally finished my build!!

Now my next issue is finidng a reliable tuner. My originally planned tuner recieved my car after the build was completed and tested, and he thinks there is alot of work involved for the speed density tuning. In other words, I don't think he knows how to do it and he doesn't want to admit it. So I am now going to source a remote tune from maybe Sebastian @ SpecialtyZ or one of the other top Master Z tuners.

V1H you are lucky, Ecutek was created in UK correct? So you probably have plenty of support for tuning up there lol my state in Australia, has only one official Ecutek tuner and he will only tune WRX and EVO, he won't touch the Z platform lol.

3 hours ago, shadow85 said:

I was going to get my workshop to do this also but they wanted an extra $2K for it, so I have left it in the stock location for the time being. And after 5 bloody months they have finally finished my build!!

Now my next issue is finidng a reliable tuner. My originally planned tuner recieved my car after the build was completed and tested, and he thinks there is alot of work involved for the speed density tuning. In other words, I don't think he knows how to do it and he doesn't want to admit it. So I am now going to source a remote tune from maybe Sebastian @ SpecialtyZ or one of the other top Master Z tuners.

V1H you are lucky, Ecutek was created in UK correct? So you probably have plenty of support for tuning up there lol my state in Australia, has only one official Ecutek tuner and he will only tune WRX and EVO, he won't touch the Z platform lol.

Contact Ian litchfeild litchfeild motors

http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/

Or abbey or Horsham for remote tuning using ecutek they can help you I'm sure 

3 hours ago, shadow85 said:

Thanks and yes,nissanman312 has a good point there. Email Jez Horsham <jez@h-dev.co.uk>, my tuner. Maybe he can send you my tune as a base map for you?

Edited by V1H

Hmm I suppose I could, but tuners don't usually like to give out their work. And also it would need to first be adjusted by them to match my injector size and ECU Cal ID, which means they would have to do atleast a little bit of work, which I can't expect them to do for free.

And since I prefer to have a Speed Density tune, they would have to make alot of adjustments so I am sure I would have to pay a fee for it. But if I am going to pay any tuner for a remote tune, I should probably just go with Sebastian from Specialty-Z yeah?

I don't know man, there a few options but I really want to make sure I get the best tune lol

But atm my car is at a tuning workshop down here for over a week and I think it has just been sitting there waiting for me to get them a remote tune. I have to make a decision by Monday, and I think I will get a remote tune from Sebastian, or a remote dyno tune from Hal @ Dynosty.

I had to google what a speed density tune was, I'd never heard that term before! It's tuning via MAP rather than MAF, in case any one else is old school like me and would've said MAP rather than speed density :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2018 at 06:38, Ekona said:

I had to google what a speed density tune was, I'd never heard that term before! It's tuning via MAP rather than MAF, in case any one else is old school like me and would've said MAP rather than speed density :blush:

:thumbs: Interesting, I also only know the term 'MAP tuning' 

I have now replaced the pair of K&N filters, that came with the AAM TT kit, with a pair of larger ones. See photo for comparison. According to K&N's filter size recommendation, I calculated the supplied filters would be a little undersized for 500+ bhp, while my new filters would have just enough air flow. They are a bit of a tight fit behind the driver side front bumper, though. Will post another photo when job done.

#RD-0720 (left) vs. #RU-1840 (right)

KN_filters.jpg

Fitting done. Here to see how the new filters reside in the outer corners of the front bumper, when viewed from the front wheel well. The driver side is a tight squeeze.

CAI.JPG 

Edited by V1H

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work man, wow those new filters look way bigger lol

So what exactly will the larger ones achieve versus the stock AAM filters? If it is worth it, I may ask my workshop to do the same since they have my car again atm.

They are changing the 340 pump out for a Walbro 460 because I am getting major fuel cuts under boost with the 340 on e85.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/07/2018 at 06:55, shadow85 said:

Nice work man, wow those new filters look way bigger lol

So what exactly will the larger ones achieve versus the stock AAM filters? If it is worth it, I may ask my workshop to do the same since they have my car again atm.

They are changing the 340 pump out for a Walbro 460 because I am getting major fuel cuts under boost with the 340 on e85.

I prob won't notice anything. If anything, the slight drop near rev limit on the dyno might go away as the AAm filters were running out of flow at around 500hp. But I wanna get a new tune in the future, anyway. I am currently rebuilding all my vac/boost lines that run from the Compressor housing to the BCSV, from there to the WGs, and lines running from the I/Plenum to the CRVs (Compressor Recirculation Valves = BorgWarner's BOV alternative). Those rubber/silicone lines are meters and meters long. I am routing them much shorter and replace much with S/S hard lines.

SS%20vac%20lines.JPG

Copper lines are for mock up test routing, Stainless Steel is for final vac hard lines.

Edited by V1H
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, V1H said:

I prob won't notice anything. If anything, the slight drop near rev limit on the dyno might go away as the AAm filters were running out of flow at around 500hp. But I wanna get a new tune in the future, anyway. I am currently rebuilding all my vac/boost lines that run from the Compressor housing to the BCSV, from there to the WGs, and lines running from the I/Plenum to the CRVs (Compressor Recirculation Valves = BorWarners BOV alternative). Those rubber/silicone lines are meters and meters long. I am routing them much shorter and replace much with S/S hard lines.

SS%20vac%20lines.JPG

Copper lines are for mock up test routing, Stainless Steel is for final vac hard lines.

Fair play 

You don't do things by half 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, andy james said:

Well done Rene'

Glad to see the recognition for your hard work and patience with a bespoke build.

18 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Well done mate great to see a awsome zed in the mags 

15 hours ago, parello9 said:

Well done bro great to see not another car in a mag with just bag and wheels B)

Thanks guys!

Also, have just fitted Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads [F: #HB601Z.626, R: #HB602Z.545], and bedding them in today. There'll be much less much-hated brake dust in the future (my main objective; the OEM bite was actually sufficient for my kind of driving)

Pads.jpg

Edited by V1H

• 2 weeks later...

Well done bro.

I have a question, do you know what the stock wastegate pressure is on these turboz when they come from AAM?

Because my build is complete and tuned, but my freshly installed EBC is saying I am hitting around 10-11.2psi in 3rd gear even when the EBC is switched off. I thought that is a bit too high from factory.

My installer does not like test driving my 370Z TT on the road anymore, because he said they cannot put any power down to the ground in 1-3rd gear and he almost killed himself the other day in it because it just did not want to stay straight when he was testing WOT.

These turboz are fantastic though. I hit 610nm in 3rd gear!