Cam chains changed .. what a job!!

eatonm90

Just done all the timing chains, guides and tensioners my Zed. Currently on 98,717 miles and start up noise was getting pretty bad, took the cover plate off and the tensioner was out 19.5 mm. I had already started to get the parts together and did the job over a few days.

What a time consuming PITA job, ever since I was a lad I have been into Mini's so quite used to tight spaces but this job with the engine in really pushed the limit at times.

Parts replaced:

Main chain

Cam chains

All guides

All 3 tensioners

Water pump

Crank sprocket

Pulley seal

L/H cam cover (due to leaking plug seal on No.6)

Parts used

P1000952_zpsudettwzh.jpg

Before replacement

P1000954_zpslzjhfwqu.jpg

Tensioner travel

P1000957_zps3c6znwyd.jpg

Damage to main guide

The tensioner was so far out that the chain had started to hit the main casing and I guess was jumping about on start up on the guide causing the damage, the chain hitting the casing was probably the noise I could hear.

P1000959_zpsbmg7g4zf.jpg

Glad I got a new crank sprocket as well, the wear was pretty bad.

P1000960_zpstwrbgr17.jpg

I got this Payen seal set which had all the seals and o rings needed for the job, lower crank half moon seal was slightly too thick on the curved sections where they turn onto the upper sump so needed to sand the ends down a bit, found this out after 3 attempts to fit, now so good at applying silicone might re do my bathroom.

P1000967_zps1kyolpgt.jpg

All fitted, timing marks on chains don't show lined up in the image because I have done a few engine turns. Note tensioner travel, 10mm.

P1000964_zpsx6xnmc0h.jpg

I can see why the labour costs are so high for the job but it is do able if you take your time, the result is absolutely silent start up from cold. I wanted really to do a step by step but there is loads of info on the net, so glad I did this and now all the parts are the latest Nissan updates, cost is still high though even without paying labour.

• Like 14

the whole lot excluding the cam cover was a shade over £600. I could probably have got away with out the water pump £80, the two cam chains £180 and the tensioners to match £150 but the tensioners had signs of wear and I have fitted the latest part numbers. The car is my daily so had to make sure I had it all ready and kind of made sense to do it all once and not strip it again..

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, doing ours in a couple of weeks. Can I ask did you take the front panel, bumper and crash bar off to do the work, or just take the radiator and fans out?

Thanks

Andy

Don't know what procedure the OP followed, but best to remove bumper and front panel etc.

snapback.pngandyk3090, on 01 September 2015 - 19:47, said:

Hi, doing ours in a couple of weeks. Can I ask did you take the front panel, bumper and crash bar off to do the work, or just take the radiator and fans out?

Thanks

Andy

Don't know what procedure the OP followed, but best to remove bumper and front panel etc.

No, left the bumper and front panel on but yes it probably would have been easier removing them.

Thanks

Andy

No, left the bumper and front panel on but yes it probably would have been easier removing them.

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully all will go smoothly once I have all the parts (and they don't go missing in transit again)... :wacko:

Thanks

Andy

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully all will go smoothly once I have all the parts (and they don't go missing in transit again)... :wacko:

Good luck, take your time with the silicone and fitting the front cover to make sure the lower crank seal seats correctly.

Thanks

Andy

Good luck, take your time with the silicone and fitting the front cover to make sure the lower crank seal seats correctly.

Many thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated, I agree more haste, less speed...

• 8 months later...

Great work mate, and you have the added reassurance of knowing you used nice genuine OEM Nissan parts throughout. Did you source them online or at your local Nissan dealership?

Some local Nissan but most from USA, main chain was £100 cheaper inc duty etc than UK source.

• 1 year later...

Yep, got it off Amazon, only place I could find it after a long search. Link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eg8230

Ahhh only just seen your reply. I've just spent 140 for it from z1 motorsport but it comes with all the gaskets aswell so I suppose it's not too bad :/