New owner, already got problems! (ALSO ANY IPSWICH OWNERS?)

geg1992

So annoyed after how much I've spent!

Basically, when I push in the clutch there is a clunking noise from the front (I think) and first and second gear are hard to get into. When changing from first to second there is also a big clunk. I'm scared it's something serious.

Through the later gears, gear changes are easier and there's no clunking, but when coming to a stop for example and I push in the clutch, most of the time there is this clunking.

Any ideas? I didn't notice it on the test drive but he was driving.

Edited by geg1992

I'm no expert but 1st to 2nd gear change is a common thing with the zed and you'll get use to that sometimes changing the gear box oil and adding moly slip helps that. As for the clunking noise I'm not sure , someone will be along with more knowledge of that

I'm no expert but 1st to 2nd gear change is a common thing with the zed and you'll get use to that sometimes changing the gear box oil and adding moly slip helps that. As for the clunking noise I'm not sure , someone will be along with more knowledge of that

Thanks for the fast reply! It probably doesn't help that I'm coming from a 130bhp Turbo Diesel! But the clunking does worry me a lot. I assumed it was normal being a high performance car, now not so sure.

Edited by geg1992

Thanks for the fast reply! It probably doesn't help that I'm coming from a 130bhp Turbo Diesel! But the clunking does worry me a lot. I assumed it was normal being a high performance car, now not so sure.

Just been out to mine. The clunking noise is it when you push the clutch in and then release it that you get the noise when stationary if so that the fly wheel which is also common and nothing to worry about.

Just been out to mine. The clunking noise is it when you push the clutch in and then release it that you get the noise when stationary if so that the fly wheel which is also common and nothing to worry about.

When stationary It's when you just push it in at all. When coming to a standstill at speed is when it's worse. Thanks for checking!

Best advice that I can give you is to get someone who is conversant with the 350 to go for a ride with you, to establish if you have a fault or if just a characteristic of the car.

Thanks! Is there any way to check if someone owns a 350z in the Ipswich area?

My Land Rover used to clunk on clutch release/engage.

I found it was the u-joints on the drive shaft were worn out. Cheap, quick and easy fix on a Landy. Can't see it being much harder on Z

Get in on 4 axle stands, start it up, and have your mate go through the gears while you look for backlash