new roof completed this morning

zebedy

Mmm.not sure what to say other than mine too is sitting up at the rear. But is getting better by the week. Dont be too fussed about the rain going under because there is a lip on the inside and the water just runs either side down to a gully. The problem too regarding the b pillars as it were there is nothing behind the bottom of the hood for him to bond to. Give it a few weeks up and see how it goes. Thats what im gonna do before doing anything as the material is stiff as hell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its mohair. Ok so its been a few months now and can say my roof is spot on. even better now that ive fixed the 5th bow motor. Shooze is correct is saying it does not sit flat against the boot, but Ray did say about that and in time would sit great after material was stretched. And indeed he was right. Did not open my roof for 4 weeks after install. Now, its great. Its alot more flexible and looks and sits better onto the framework.

What i did too which you may need to consider, is whilst I was there, I changed the internal elastic bands myself. Drilled out the old pop rivets and popped the new elastics back on whilst Ray was sewing the rear window onto the roof. You need to take a battery drill and a 5mm drill bit with you, 4mm pop rivets x 8 and a pop riviter which you can buy for 6 quid in b and q. Nissan charge £ 143 plus vat to do this.

Please please dont go buying any elastic from Nissan as they are 19 quid plus vat for one and you need two. Go to a sewing / materials supply store like Dunelm or any mill outlet and just buy a 1m length of black 30mm or 40mm wide elastic. It really does the same thing and cost you less than £5.00.

Pop rivet them on with slight tension between the 5th and 4th bow and thats it. Took me 20 mins. Good luck all and keep us posted on this thread.

Edited by ZZZebady

Guys, is your new roof Mohair or vinyl ? I'm getting a new Mohair roof fitted shortly. Do you know the make of the roof ? Cheers.

He makes his own from a pattern. He's well known in the MX5 community for his work and his low prices and is extremely honest. Shooze had money back off Ray as she was not happy with the outcome. I wont discuss how much and will let him tell you that of he wants. So Ray is pretty fair to me honest.

Insidently if someone has issues with their 5th bow, Id be happy to take a look at it as I now know quite a bit about these convertables.

Hey Guys,

I have to admit, I'm really not happy with my roof. To be honest, I think Ray made it slightly wrong. As you've seen on the photos it sits shockingly behind the side windows. It also leaks where my old one never did! IMO its not wide enough across the car. The seals around the windows are visible which means the water gets in past them.

I too replaced the elastic that Zzzebady mentioned.

I did complain to Ray two days after I had it fitted, and to be fair he refunded me in full. I felt bad for him and left him £50. I will be getting another roof soon though!

It seems a bit pot luck on how he has made the template. I've used Ray before for an MX5 and he was spot on. After he gave me my money back he told me he wasn't ever going to do another 350Z but I guess he's changed his mind.

Edited by shooze

• 6 months later...

I spoke to jack last week. He's good guy.

Gave me 2 options £290 to make, supply and fit, or £100 to fit a off the shelf one.

He recommended the second option. As they are very awkward and some customers haven't been 100% happy.

Good news is replacement roofs seem to be around half the price they were last year.

Local trimmer (who is extortionately expensive and a bit of a dell boy) quoted around £600 fitted. Was over £1k last year.

Thanks to Kevin above I got onto this thread. Going to replace my hood on a 2005 gun metal/ Silverstone ( WV2 paint code ) roadster and was considering grey. I have had the following quotes for black mohair, fitted. Carhood warehouse £850,Hood County, £900 and CTC £695 ( grey £745). CTC are based in Romford and have a web address "mazdahoodshop.co.uk". They also trade as "Allhoods Ltd". The Mazda MX5 forum gives them excellent reports and says they make their own hoods. Not to sure if this is just for the Mazda hoods or all the hoods they supply. Brian, the head chap gets good reports and I am pleased with the grey mohair sample he has sent me. Just so soft and flexible in contrast to the OEM. Brian advised against the grey as the car is outside but I have a half cover and WILL fit it regularly.

Does anyone have experience of this company ?

• 4 months later...