Painting inside Headlight Housing......

badCOK

Guys thinking about painting the inside of my headlight housing...

E64A13D0-24EA-4D33-8C5C-51299221D109_zpsbjdbm4ba.jpg

F916B780-3CDB-4A33-A71C-061D957320BE_zpsoc6703sa.png

seen this on a few Z's on the internet and think it looks the nuts!

Anyone had a go at this?

is it as relatively straight forward as the guides say it is?

Any MOT or lighting issues after its done?

Paul

• Like 1

I did this previously on a car I owned and I have to say it did look amazing....

But splitting the glass/plastic from the headlight housing is a real pain, and sealing it back up is pretty difficult too as if there are any holes or gaps it will get moisture in and cause it to start to fog up :(

Saying that it did make my car look way better....

:thumbs:

Had my last 2 cars done. The zed was done by Paul who did loads of members cars. I done the skyline myself with the help of my cousin

As said splitting them takes time/patience and gives you sore fingers. Resealing them needs even more patience to prevent leaks. The results are worth it tho

If your cars a daily might be worth getting another set as a project then sell your existing ones once they've been swapped

Here's how mine turned out. More for the projectors but did some painting to freshen it up

IMG_0720.jpg

Build thread here

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204969

As has been said, splitting is quite easy, but take your time, the painting is just painting, piece of ****, however getting them back together with no leaks is the problem. The main issue being that you won't know if you've succeeded until it's back on the car and a few weeks later it starts collecting water.

Looks awesome, though :D

Anyone had a go at this?

Paul

Are thoes wheels for real? B) Car looks evil..

Anyone had a go at this?

Paul

Are thoes wheels for real? B) Car looks evil..

Indeed! They're Work Equips. Must be running about 11 or 12J

• 3 months later...

Hiya, I have a black 05 Roadster, and i'm thinking of doing this mod, having done some research on a fair few forums, the gist of it is, popping the headlights apart, is tricky, a bit touchy feely, and getting them back together without water leaks,is also a problem. I have some guys who :)ay take it on, will keep you posted, if anyone else has successfully achieved this, please respond. If my car was not re sprayed black (2 grand) , I would not bother,but if I can do it, it will look very cool!

Edited by jon beer

I have an issue with cracking on the inside of the head light lens.. i get the usual matting on the outside but polish this up every now and then but the cracking is something i dont think i'll be able to sort out.. has anyone else had this cracking on the inside of the plastic lens cover?

there is a guy i know in Wigan area who strips lights out and puts halo mods in and paints them up too! i might consider getting this done. the business is called Custom lightz you can find it on FB.. He also does footwell lights and they look pretty cool at night tbf.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I get a bit of condensation in one from time to time, so was looking at getting them done and obviously re-sealed at the same time. I'd want to lose the Amber strips too has anyone got a linky for the clear reflective strips?

guess again Columbo B) ... not them ones

you'll have to come for a drive with us and you'll see them.

dont fancy coming to this west mids meet at shelsley walsh??

I'm working the next few weekends on the boounce :(

When is it?

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to do mine in due course and will do a thread with pics and videos. If someone can post here the links for the LED's, the clear reflector instead of the orange one and also can advise me how to get an angel ring behind the spherical lense (if at all possible). If not, maybe an RGB led behind and angels outside up against the zenons. I may as well be the 1st to give it a bash and document it for others to try.