clutch change

indy88

Looks like il be needing to change the clutch on my 350z (06 model) soon,

Just waiting on reply from zmanalex for clutch and flywheel cost

thought I'd have a quick google/ebay and saw someone with a used clutch + flywheel

http://www.ebay.co.u...091990c8&_uhb=1

I know what most guys would think and say just get a new one but would it be worthwhile giving it a punt (reason I am considering it is because I may be moving abroad in 6months hence selling the car).

Edited by indy88

It would be Ok if only keeping it for 6 months..but can you sell it and say "new clutch fitted" or say "second hand clutch fitted", may de-value the car.

Always fit a new clutch as you gone to the expense of stripping it down..Check the cost with ZMANALEX sure he will do you a good deal. :thumbs:

Better informed individuals than little old me suggest you always change the flywheel when changing the clutch cos it must be showing some wear . Even Alex, if Im not mistaken recommends changing the flywheel and I don't get the impression he's the type to give such advice just to make a sale. He's knowledgeable regarding the Z and I for one would follow his best advice.

It makes sense anyway, how would you feel having changed only the clutch to find a few months later you still have problems and have to strip it down again. I also agree with Whacky Will regarding resale. Bite the bullet and change both you never know you may not sell it in 6 myths.

Best of luck anyway

I have to disagree with that.

Yes if the flywheel is worn or heat damaged by all means change it. The clutch disc is a consumable part like brake pads & the flywheel is a much harder wearing part like your brake discs. You don`t change your discs everytime you change your pads unless they are worn/damaged.

Just 2weeks ago I changed the clutch on my van, now the 3rd one. I`m still running the original flywheel, yes it`s a little worn but no where near enough to warrant changing. When I upgraded the clutch in the zed I did change the flywheel only because I was going for a lighter single mass. The condition of the original flywheel surface was good & absolutely fine to be re-used with a new clutch.

• Like 1

Well I think it would be a little rude to assume that Indy can`t afford a new clutch, as he said he may be parting with the car in 6months. So I can understand why he may not want to spend out un necessary cash,

Indy, are you looking to do the work yourself? Is it your everyday drive?

If your doing it yourself, this will obviously save you a couple of hundread quid in labour. & if it`s not your daily you could drop the box one weekend, asses the condition of clutch & fly then order parts as required.

Thanks for the advice guys.

It's not a matter of affording it, as some members mentioned I am considering parting with the car in about 6 months, the eBay auction merely got me intruiged when I was looking around for how much a clutch will cost. Of course i wouldn't say the clutch was 'new' if reselling.

The car isn't my daily driver, and I do still need to find a garage to do the work.

I will most likely go with a new clutch and flywheel as its probably better to have the job done right first time.

Edited by indy88