Knocking Noise at Low Speeds

Broken Arrow

Hi folks,

I have had my Zed for nearly a year and am absolutely loving it but recently it has developed a slight knocking noise at low speeds and over rough ground. It sounds like it is just coming from the drivers side but it is hard to tell.

Having done some reading up on the forum it sounds like my issue is either bushes if I am lucky, or if not the compression arm ball joint. Does that sound right?

If so, what do you think is my least painful approach in terms of replacing parts to rule things out?

1) Replace lower arm bushes.

2) Replace compression arm bushes.

3) Replace the whole compression arm to replace the ball joint.

Do I try those in order? Or do 1 & 2 together? Or just bite the bullet and replace the whole arm and the lower arm bushes in one go to save several sets of labour charges? Should I do both sides to be safe?

It is due for its MOT soon, and I don't really want to put it in to a garage that doesn't know how to track down the issue properly and end up replacing the whole suspension setup bit by bit, nor do I want to put it in to Westover Nissan and have my pants pulled down...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Welcome to the forum

You can spend a lot of money going round the houses with this difficult to diagnose problem. If it were me I'd get someone to ride in the car with you before going for a solution. If I were a betting man, I'd say bite the bullet and replace the compression arm

Could also be the ARB drop links - we could take a look at it if you like. We have drop links, compression arms and bushes all in stock.

I'd guess that if its not the drop links then you'll need to replace the whole arm - the arm bushes are a common problem but they have to be completely knackered to cause a knock.

Edited by Jez

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting..........I have a very similar issue at the mo and it's deffo not bushes as they have all been renewed with superpro items pretty recently. Was thinking ARB droplinks so will have to check it out properly.

Hope you get yours fixed for not too much £££ Broken Arrow :)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have a similar issue - may not be the same problem - but rather than start a new post, I'll start here.

I have a knocking noise coming from the drivers side, which you notice underneath when driving. It is more accentuated on rough roads.

I've just had the z jacked up to try and diagnose, and I've found no play in any of the bushes anywhere, although, when I rock the steering wheel from side to side there is a knocking from the steering rack in the boot - although when I start it up, and rock the steering wheel, no noise! Does anyone elses car make this noise when the engine is off?

Assuming it is the compression arm (part prices online seem to be £160-170. Any idea how much is it to replace a compression arm at a garage? Is it an easy diy job?

Edited by auzyfozy

Hi all - following on from earlier please see attached video of the knocking noise. Please could you let me know if you also hear this noise on your cars. This will help me narrow down where the knocking is coming from.

(you might need to turn the volume up a lot to hear it :) )

Thanks in advance!