Suzanne the LS3 6.2 V8! Caution very long build thread....

Wasso

Great news Ian. At long last you have her back!

Great work yet again from the Zed Shed boys.

Chris couldn't have finished it without Bob, Chris hasn't got a clue what he's on about :D:hypocrite:

So true and when it comes to making the transmission tunnel wide enough we needed Bob Sledge Bollard on the big hammer :)

Cause no one swings it like he does :lol:

• Like 3

Is the LS3 not better than the LS1?

Yes, of course. I'm keen to try the 4's based on my positive experience of the 2's....

Ian, Dan is saying get the MPS4S which are available in no smaller than 19" as supposed to the MPS4. There two different tyres, bloody confusing I know.

• Like 2

Just watched the vid, sounds epic. Long journey but worth the wait.

Cheers Graham, was tempted just to start her when I got home just to hear the noise.

Is the LS3 not better than the LS1?

Yes, of course. I'm keen to try the 4's based on my positive experience of the 2's....

Ian, Dan is saying get the MPS4S which are available in no smaller than 19" as supposed to the MPS4. There two different tyres, bloody confusing I know.

Ahh I get ya, tried hunting them down earlier. Couldn't find anything online but didn't really have a good search.

I ditched my CD009 to take on the TR6060 gearbox, and to be fair its likely to handle a lot more power than the CD. The C6 Corvette which was the donor engine was limited to 190mph, I don't plan on being wreck less enough to even head into that territory unless it's an air field or an autobahn. Although I think body parts will be lost before that speed is reached.

To be fair I though the front end would be sloppy on the corners, and to be honest it's hard to tell the difference.

I thought it would be a bell housing adapter to stick with stock 'box, fair play to swap out boxes too then with modded prop etc too. As you say makes sense to stick with a factory unit that was made to handle the engine from the start.

Don't blame you for not going there on a top speed run, nothing to really enjoy there and a lot to lose/break if something goes wrong! Knowing it'll do it should you ever want to will do eh. A few track days in it to just enjoy it and learn it would be far far more enjoyable and beneficial I'd say.

Good to hear the Z's chassis is still feeling good with the new (do I have to say "motor" now?) engine installed. When I've looked at some of the conversions to RB engine, huge cast iron lump sitting further forward I think it must ruin the handling. This seems more win win to me

PS I did try to flick though the many pages of this build to find all the pics and techy highlights that went into the conversion. If its not an absolute nightmare to do could you do a post with a few pics of the progress from VQ - LS? The more engineering, nuts and bolts of it all the better. Cheers

You can use the Collins adapter but after you have purchased this and done additional modifications it's easier to just get a T56 or TR6060 which is the newer box.

I could do a mini LS swap thread for info, linking to suppliers and resource information. To be fair having a team of LS enthusiasts and LSZ swap guys at hand has helped us through this project.

Edited by Wasso

Just minding my own business this morning bringing Suzi to work on a Friday (less traffic). Cruising along when a TTRS decides he wan'ts to play ball. I think he's on the phone to Audi as we speak complaining that his 2014 TTRS is @*!# and that a 11 year old Datsun just fried his ass! Sorry about that..... :lol:

• Like 6

Just minding my own business this morning bringing Suzi to work on a Friday (less traffic). Cruising along when a TTRS decides he wan'ts to play ball. I think he's on the phone to Audi as we speak complaining that his 2014 TTRS is @*!# and that a 11 year old Datsun just fried his ass! Sorry about that..... :lol:

Please can we have more videos and photos Mr Strong ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please can we have more videos and photos Mr Strong í ½í±í ¼í¿»í ½í±í ¼í¿»í ½í±í ¼í¿»í ½í±í ¼í¿»

I'll see what I can sort out at the weekend, weather depending.

• Like 2

Please can we have more videos and photos Mr Strong í ½í±Âí ¼í¿»í ½í±Âí ¼í¿»í ½í±Âí ¼í¿»í ½í±Â🏻

Or bring her over to Warwick so I can meet her 🙂 free car cleaning facilities available too on my driveway ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Like 1

How was it getting insurance? Can't imagine there would be many company's who would quote on this engine swap?

I saw the letter with all the Mods that needed to be declared :lol: It was a very, very, very long letter ;)

Apart from wanting to know that the car would be roadworthy and could handle the power (Ian put a lot of detail into his mods list letter) I think he did rather well on the insurance side of things but I will let him explain more - I drove it on my flexicar policy which covers me on any other car not belonging to me fully comp as long as the owner has insurance :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

Please can we have more videos and photos Mr Strong ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Let us know if you need a camera man/ video assistant. Sure I can help :D

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

You can now change your Avatar sig from "waiting for V8 power" to GOT V8 POWWWWWER B)

Please can we have more videos and photos Mr Strong í ½Ã­Â±Âí ¼Ã­Â¿Â»Ã­ ½Ã­Â±Âí ¼Ã­Â¿Â»Ã­ ½Ã­Â±Âí ¼Ã­Â¿Â»Ã­ ½Ã­Â±Âí ¼Ã­Â¿Â»

Or bring her over to Warwick so I can meet her 🙂 free car cleaning facilities available too on my driveway í ½í±í ¼í¿»

I'm sure you'll get to see her, I'm keeping an eye on the local Cov/Leicester meet that's potentially going to occur. All depends on what I'm up to at the weekends etc.

How was it getting insurance? Can't imagine there would be many company's who would quote on this engine swap?

Broker on here, been with them for now my 9th year.... Prestige Keep Moving (Mulsane Insurance). They insure both my Alfa and Zed. Yes, for sure the guy answering the phone asked the question.....3.5 V6, and I said, erm nah! In which I had to explain the full story of where the engine originated and of course it's cubic capacity. The owner of Mulsane the insurance company underwrote the entire policy, with the full list of mods, dyno charts, web-links to suppliers (fitting kit and ECU) name, brand, including pictures. The only way insurance would be provided is if it passed the MOT, which it did and from there on she was fully insured. They know everything about the car, and that's how I managed to get a quote £750 before admin fee and legal cover, all in £850. To me that's not bad considering the animal it now is!

Please can we have more videos and photos Mr Strong í ½í±í ¼í¿»í ½í±í ¼í¿»í ½í±í ¼í¿»í ½í±í ¼í¿»

Let us know if you need a camera man/ video assistant. Sure I can help :D

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I'll be down your way again soon, I'll give you a heads up and go for a spin!

• Like 2

You can now change your Avatar sig from "waiting for V8 power" to GOT V8 POWWWWWER B)

Valid point..... I'm on it!

Valid point..... I'm on it!

• Like 1

Done!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A relevant update needed I guess since Chris has been hard at work with his engineering and mathematical skills over the last few weekends. The list of items to deal with, the first 3 from a couple of weekends ago:

• Fix rattle/squeak from the rear of the car (exhaust)
  • Plumb heater matrix system
  • Fix clutch issue (gears not engaging well)
  • Resolve power steering leak
  • Fix erratic temperature gauge!

Rattle from the exhaust was a simple fix undertaken by Bob, rubber hose on the exhaust hanger as it was banging against a metal bracket.

Heater matrix went without any issues, now I have heat in the car which was a blessing a couple of weeks ago.

Clutch issue wasn't really a tough problem, only as Chris made it look so easy. Long and short of it was clutch travel was right to the floor, although still proving to be tough on 1st 3rd and reverse. Measuring clutch pedal travel, taking this measurement and working out how much master travel we had, I believe we found we were at 60% efficiency. The master would be over mach reach after measurement, so Chris set to work and custom built an extension for the master (after a few swear words) we then went for the re-fit. Bleeding the clutch was no issue at all and now all gears are engaging like a dream. Additionally the clutch pedal is now glorious, far better than the clicky and heavy clutch of the original VQ clutch.

After heading home and taking the car to work the next Monday, I was scheduled to get the alignment done. All good apart from having -2 degrees negative camber at the front and the garage identified I had a power steering leak. Suspected to be a custom pipe we engineered leaving the steering rack, I believed this wasn't a major leak and a job for when I'm next down. Although, journey home was a little more concerning, the water temps maxed out!! :scare: Possibly linked to the plumbing of the heater matrix, air in the system, or sensor failure. Pretty confident the water isn't overheating and managed to get home from London. After plugging my OBD into the ECU, it would become apparent the ECU is also seeing fluctuating water temps from 80-120 degrees. Chris and Emerald both believe it's a likely coolant temp sensor especially as water temps recorded manually were 85 degrees. One ordered from America at £35, especially as I wasn't going to pay £80 in the UK, the wait was on.

So we are now at this weekend.... Chris quickly identified the coolant temp sensor issue, which turned out to be the dipstick rubbing on the coolant sensor wires and had worn through to the wire core. This was then earthing out on the dipstick. Easy fix, job done!

So, what's the cause of the power steering leak, we think it's likely to be a hose with a small split caused by rubbing against the subframe. Fine, not a problem, job done. Nope, we are still leaking fluids.... steering rack loosened off and it would appear one of the hard lines going into the input of the rack was loose, no problem, tighten it up. That's when issues start escalating, a few turns tightening up and the thread appears to be totally shagged. After considering a number of options and the fact it's mid Friday afternoon we attempt a helicoil fix, although again we are still leaking fluid. So the next morning we spent nearly 2hrs trying every conceivable breakers yard to get hold of a 350 steering rack. In all cases the response was no. The closest option was Cambridge 170 miles away to see Jon @ Emperor, so we set off at 12:30pm and picked up the rack from Jon at 3:30pm. Back by 7pm for some well eared rest.

Onto this morning and after a number of measurements the rack was fitted and no more leaks! Have to say, from measurements and of course Chris's knowledge sorted the steering out perfectly. In fact it's that good I'll put £5 on the table his alignment is bang on the money, and will be checked for alignment during this week.

Finally Chris went out (as I know he loves it) for a spin in Suzanne and just watch his face enjoying the brutality of the V8. If anyone is considering a full on SC or Turbo build to consider a LS swap, it's truly outstanding. Not just torque delivery, but the burbles and growls that surround you no matter which gear or speed your doing.

That's it for now, apart from front camber arms are needed to dial out that camber. Cheers for reading.

• Like 11

Well at least we got her back on the road :thumbs:

It is a blast to drive and the power delivery is just awesome and I can't help but giggle like a little girl every time I hit the loud pedal :drive1:

See ya soon mate :)

• Like 5