Subwoofer Enclosure Plan/Template

whitey

Hello,

Does anybody have a plan/template for a subwoofer enclosure to fit where the Bose subwoofer is? I've seen a couple of enclosures that are available in the US but not here i the UK.

I plan to fit a Hertz 10" subwoofer in there.

Cheers

Hello,

Does anybody have a plan/template for a subwoofer enclosure to fit where the Bose subwoofer is? I've seen a couple of enclosures that are available in the US but not here i the UK.

I plan to fit a Hertz 10" subwoofer in there.

Cheers

What volume does the sub need?

Whitey if you want to use a box like mine they really are small,i looked at a 10 & 12 Rockford Fosgate shallow mounts,turns out that a 12 will fit my box,mounting depth plays a big part of it too,you get roughly about 6 inches.

From what i remember though the RF shallow mounts gave off a good amount of power for a little box etc

Here are my enclosures. I designed them and built them myself and are sized to volume match a sealed 8in JL8w3v2 subwoofer. The volume for each box is 10.6 ltr (0.375 ft3). The design of these is such that the can be removed easily, with only 4 machine screws and 2 bolts per unit. I had to purchase another blank cover from Nissan to finish the side which had the glove box, but it wasn't expensive and the end result was what i wanted. It actually took about a month to design and refine these untill the fit was just right, plus i used 3D CAD to ensure the volumes were perfect for the subwoofers. The idea at all times was to look 'in keep' with the car - ie not too much flash, but also get the build quality and volume spot on for optimum performance.

CabinSubsFitted004.jpg

Space for encolsures

cabinenclosures009.jpg

CabinSubsFitted001.jpg

CabinSubsFitted008.jpg

CabinSubsFitted013.jpg

In location

CabinSubsFitted015.jpg

Cut and edged Nissan trim

CabinSubsFitted016.jpg

CabinSubsFitted018.jpg

CabinSubsFitted024.jpg

As per CAD design, total stealth no flash install

P.S. If you are intending to install a 10in or 12in sub in there check with the manufacturer what their recommended sealed enclosure volume is - there is not a lot of room :)

Thats a very nice stealthy job there. Has anyone here attempted a sub box which fits where the tonneu cover is, under the arch?

Seen a few nice ones on my350 but i dont imagine you would get much of this 'volume' under there!

Thats a very nice stealthy job there. Has anyone here attempted a sub box which fits where the tonneu cover is, under the arch?

Seen a few nice ones on my350 but i dont imagine you would get much of this 'volume' under there!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there maz0. Volume is the big issue, although there are pre built boxes available - i think JL even manufacture one for the zed in this location. Personally i run a ported 12 in the rear but it's at the cost of a spare. I managed to design and build an 82 litre dual ported enclosure in there which tunes down to 24Hz, but it took some work. It actually exceeded my expectations in perforamance though, the zed rear is a nice shape (ooh er) for cabin gains if tuned correctly. I've never done a 'big' install before so this was one big learning curve.

few pics of the CAD design work..

Image.png

Image4.png

Image3.png

Image2.png

Believe it or not this is removable also, it fastens down using the spare wheel thread. It's in the paint shop currently then on to the trimmer, when it's back i'll get some finished pics up.

Two very impressive examples,

Ikarus, do you still have the CAD model for the glovebox sub enclosure and would you be willing to email it me? That is exactly what i'm after and that would be a great starting point for me, ie angles and mounting positions. I just want one for behind the drivers seat (UK) as i have my amp fitted in the otherside already.

I would try and maximise the dimensions, work out the volume and then buy the sub to suit.

Cheers

thats a brilliant job well done, exactly the kind of thing im interested in, is this a seled box type enclosure then? would it have been a pain to create a vented system?

Thankyou sir, and in answer - yes and maybe. Vented requires more volume, but is genereally more efficient and tunes a little lower. My 8's run down to around 62Hz, they are really clean and punchy, but they don't go really low (this is what they are designed for this in my system - midbass). I just did some calcs on tuning the 8's low and they will run as low as 50Hz it if vented and in a larger enclosure. However it would be difficult to design an enclosre that would fit (and be removable) while still being close to optimum design volume. The problem is that while there is plenty of volume in there, it's not very accesible. The possible solution would be to run external ports, thus reducing required internal volume and achieving correct port length. In short, yes i think it could be done but it would take some work to do it neatly :)

Two very impressive examples,

Ikarus, do you still have the CAD model for the glovebox sub enclosure and would you be willing to email it me? That is exactly what i'm after and that would be a great starting point for me, ie angles and mounting positions. I just want one for behind the drivers seat (UK) as i have my amp fitted in the otherside already.

I would try and maximise the dimensions, work out the volume and then buy the sub to suit.

Cheers

I will have a look for the models when i get home.

*NB ANYONE ATTEMPTING ONE OF THESE BOXES - you need to be super carefull with subwoofer depth. At the angle that the sub sits, the magnet is extremely close to the base of the box, and if you make the box deeper then it doens't fit in the space. It is very, very close and from memory took around 4 or 5 design itterations over several weekends untill i cracked it.

this is fantastic information, i feel like youve read my mind and answered everything in advance, even the CAD i was planning to do :lol: top job. I do love the look of that setup, nice and subtle, im sorely tempted with setting out the budget for it now :blush: