How to: Remove the front bumper

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 Chesterfield

Chesterfield

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:25

Usual Disclaimer - this is guide and follows the practises set out by 350z-uk.com.

Just a very quick guide on removing the front bumper. If you have headlight washers you will need to disconnect the piping on removal.

1) Jack up the front of the car and support on two axle stands, remove the two front wheels;

Posted Image

2) Underneither the front bumper begin to remove the 10mm screws holding the splash guard to the front bumper and also the ones holding the inner arch splash guard, (4 on each inner arch and about 6 along the front of the bumper)

Posted Image

Posted Image

3) Next move into the wheel well and remove the body fixing clips (pop the middle out with a flat screwdrive)

Posted Image

4) One all clips are removed, remove the inner arches, these are hooked into the inner wing lip, a bit of movement free's them up nicely. Once removed set aside

Posted Image

5) Open the bonnet and look at the top of the bumper, in my case I have the carbon air division panel, this needs to be removed by removing the 6 body work clips (again use a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the centre of the clip.

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

6) back down to the arch, where the bumper meets the wings there should be 2 10mm bolts on each side, you may want a little extention bar on the rachet to avoid the headlight mounts. The 2nd photograph below it taken from the ground facing up and you can clearly see the two bolts, the first one is just for positional referance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

7) Once these are out on both sides, the bumper will side out towards from the front of the car. It sits on two metal bracket just under the light and if you feel any resistance just check its not cause on these brackets. And this will be your finished result

Posted Image

Posted Image

8) Obviously refitting is just a reversal of removal.

Please feel free to add or delete steps

Dan

Credit to dcash5 for this guide - post reinstated so as to be helpful to others.

#2 Beavis

Beavis

• Moderators
  • 17,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:32

Nice guide but not to sure why you need to remove the wheel arch covers to remove the front bumper? Here is my front removed. :)

I found that once the 2 screws had been removed from the front bumpers corners you could pop out the wheel arch liner to expose the 3 screws securing the bumper to the wing. So also meaning no need to remove the front wheels.
:)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 dcash5

dcash5

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:42

Baffled as to how you reached the bolts in step 6
fresh air / shell / Dr Pepper / Ginsters / magic tree / softmints / paypal
Posted Image
confuZED? ..................................................285.1bhp & 250ftlb

#4 Beavis

Beavis

• Moderators
  • 17,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:50

dcash5 said:

Baffled as to how you reached the bolts in step 6

Just remove the lower 2 screws securing the front bumper in place and then you can pop the wheel arch liner out. Then just use a socket extension to remove the 3 bolts. ;)
Posted Image

#5 marzman

marzman

Z Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:10

+1 - No need to jack up, or remove the wheels.  Had my bumper off a few times.

Good pics though for the bolt locations... :thumbs:
Chris.
Posted Image
Zed No.2; Full Nismo Kit; Sold to Spatt as of 24/11/2013.  Now cruising in a Range Rover Sport instead.

#6 Adam@Z1auto.com

Adam@Z1auto.com

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 15:21

beavis - I notice 2 fluid resevoirs at either side of the car, just in front of the tires.  what's the one on the left for?  almost looks like you have 2 washer fluid resevoirs?

#7 Beavis

Beavis

• Moderators
  • 17,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 15:28

Adam@Z1auto.com said:

beavis - I notice 2 fluid resevoirs at either side of the car, just in front of the tires.  what's the one on the left for?  almost looks like you have 2 washer fluid resevoirs?

Beats me Adam, think its like this on all UK spec cars. May be Nissan thought that due to the UK's shitty weather we needed more capacity. :lol:
Posted Image

#8 martinmac

martinmac

Z Legend

• Moderators
  • 26,550 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 15:45

Maybe we need the extra capacity for the headlight washers. :)
Posted Image

#9 Beavis

Beavis

• Moderators
  • 17,818 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 16:08

martinmac said:

And they are linked via the pipework and only the left one as the pump, so like Martin said it must be for the extra capacity for the headlights. :)
Posted Image

#10 CS

CS

Trader

• Trader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 16:48

martinmac said:

:thumbs:
Posted Image Posted Image

Eibach : EBC Brakes : Ferodo : DBA Brake Discs : HEL Brake Lines : Milltek Exhaust : Cobra Sports Exhaust : Scorpion Exhaust - Rota Wheels

Email: sales@cougarstore.co.uk

EBC Redstuff Pads front & rear Brembo Caliper - £124.99 - PM for details - EBC Yellowstuff Pads front & rear Brembo Caliper - £134.99 - PM for details - Ferodo DS2500 Pads front & rear Brembo Caliper - PM for details :)

#11 Muttley

Muttley

Z Dedicated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 15:30

Is this easy to do or is it a ball ache??? (how many hours??) Im getting a new front bumper sprayed soon and was going to get them to fit it aswell, but if i can save some cash by doing it myself then i'll go for that!!
Cheers
Muttley
Posted Image
Gunmetal Grey, FairladyZ, Nismo N1 spoiler, Fujitsubo Giken exhaust

#12 alessandro

alessandro

Z Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 15:34

Great stuff,

A bit off topic but would anyone know if I have to remove the bumber to change the front side reflectors
NOW GONE - Blade 03 JDM
Scorpion Exhaust /Jap-Speed de-cats / 07+ Rear Lights / T K Badge / Tein Springs / Nismo Gear Knob / CF B-Pillars / CF Interiors / CF Mirror Covers & Panels / Nismo 1 Style Front Bumper / Nismo 1 Style Spoiler/ D1 Spec Throttle Contoller / JWT /Side Badge Indicators / LED Reflectors / Satin Black Rays / Hideaway Number Plate
http://s658.photobuc...sandro1/My Zed/
NOW- Alfa Romeo Giulietta OEM....for now..
[size=85]I AM ALWAYS ON LINE

#13 M13KYF

M13KYF

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 27,767 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 15:41

yes you do
Mike

Posted Image
Its like council housing. You move all the bad tenants to one part of town.

#14 ledzed

ledzed

Z Hopeful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 23:10

No you don't,just removed side reflectors in deep snow without removal of bumper,although pain in arse :headhurt:

#15 marzman

marzman

Z Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 00:13

ledzed said:

No you don't,just removed side reflectors in deep snow without removal of bumper,although pain in arse :headhurt:

Good man :thumbs:  Although what Mike probably meant is its easier (on your knuckles) to swap them with the bumper off...  :lol:
Chris.
Posted Image
Zed No.2; Full Nismo Kit; Sold to Spatt as of 24/11/2013.  Now cruising in a Range Rover Sport instead.

#16 ledzed

ledzed

Z Hopeful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 18:00

Fair point  :thumbs:

#17 Chris`I

Chris`I

Team Support Bus

• Administrators
  • 23,817 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 19:19

marzman said:

ledzed said:

Good man :thumbs:  Although what Mike probably meant is its easier (on your knuckles) to swap them with the bumper off...  :lol:
If its a JDM then you can do them quite easily without removing it, but with the UK, there are water bottles in the way and easier to remove it. I didnt fully remove mine to do it, I did it one half at a time and worked quite well, although was very fiddly and might have been easier fully removing it.
Meets and Shows | Official Facebook Page | Facebook Group << Click the links!
MY03 350z GT .. gone but not forgotten
MY10 370z Black Edition / 40th Anniversary .. also gone
MY10 VW T5 Transporter Camper

#18 gazhull8474

gazhull8474

Z Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 22:18

Nice guide going to have to do this to replace my lights.
Plenum spacer,Abbey Uprev,Rota Grid Drift 18",K&N filter, Stubby aerial, Nurrish custom Sat Nav system,Power flow exhaust

#19 marzman

marzman

Z Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 22:41

gazhull8474 said:

Nice guide going to have to do this to replace my lights.

I replaced one of my headlight once... got the whole car back together, packed all my tools away, came back in the house, and i'd forgot to put the plastic cover on the back of the light back on :rant: ... so had to do the whole lot again.  :lol:
Chris.
Posted Image

#20 Ian

Ian

Z Legend

• Regional Event Organiser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,498 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 23:18

Great guide  :thumbs:

Even with a lowered car you can take it off without removing the wheels. I have the cuts to prove that  :blackeye:
2003 HKS Supercharged 350Z - Gone :(
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR - Gone :(
1997 Nissan Skyline R33 GTR - Gone :)
2003 Nissan 350Z - Gone....................................Kind of
2001 BMW 525i Sport - Dead :(
1995 Toyota Supra RZ-S
2002 BMW E46 330Ci