Favourite boxer?

TT350

I used to box for about 5 years but I just got too skinny for my own liking and couldn't gain weight and stuck at 13st, Not being able to lift weights working full time and training every night and our gym was very minimal. Bags. Boxing paraphernalia and a ring and a pull up bar..No weights.

I then fell out of love with it all, started liftin' dem irons and boxing got boring.

Lately I've tried a few martial arts. Thai Boxing. It was full of ego's just wanting to hurt each other. It made me think of Kobra Kai gym in Karate Kid. Warrior/killer instinct/code. Fight or die. Dominate or be dominated.

Taekwondo. Was ok. Not too bad just too far to go. Good mix of people in the adults evening classes.

MMA. If you're not wanting to proceed to fights or you're a bit past prime like me, they kinda don't want to know. Full of young teenagers and 'ard guys.

These are the ones I can travel to. I've been invited to HEADPHONES Kung Fu gym and I'd like to give it a visit.

There's a fantastic boxing gym near me. 10 mins drive. Next week I'm going to pop in. It looks great and I've always found boxing gyms friendly and there's always a respectful atmosphere. I find boxing one of the more noble forms of fighting sports.

Anyway, favourite boxer for me has to be George Foreman. He was an absolute monster and kept fighting well past his prime. Punching him and him just keep coming must have been so intimidating. Hands like sledgehammer.

Look at these highlights of him just absorbing punches.

Tommy Morrison gave him a hammering too

Edited by TT350

Roy Jones Junior. The finest pound for pound fighter of all time. I'll talk boxing with you all day long. :) I tried a couple months ago, but nobody was interested. And the dude made a track, and it was good. Respect.

Edited by Aashenfox

The Sugar Rays were a bit before my time so Ill have to say Tyson, didnt particularly like the man but never a dull moment, absolutely electrifying to watch ......... Benn and Eubank (and later Collins) was what got me into boxing, Pacquiao is awesome and GGG is current favourite I think, at least until Joshua has a decent opponent.

Coincidentally I was at the O2 for my first UFC at the weekend and was pretty blown away by it - 13 fights, one was a bit dull but the rest were proper entertainment, 10 minutes break between each so just enough time to get a beer and have a gypsys without missing any action, great presentation, friendly crowd and it cost half what the last AJ fight at O2 cost me, a third what we paid for Froch/Groves at Wembley .......

While a great boxing match is great (I loved Chisora/Whyte, swinging from the hips at the end!) Ive seen some proper stinkers, UFC doesnt really seem to have any as I guess youd be submitted pretty quickly if you werent 100% committed to the fight.

• Like 1

In my lifetime, the standout was Eubank vs Benn fights, two guys so well matched but so different in style. I wanted Benn to win being an Essex boy...so disappointed!

When living in Japan I took up Karate, was quite shameful trying to even get close to some of those Japanese in terms of flexibility - my kicking was atrocious but punching apparently quite handy for someone coming into it later in life :lol: As it happens have signed up my 5 year old to his school martial arts classes starting next term :)

The Sugar Rays were a bit before my time so Ill have to say Tyson, didnt particularly like the man but never a dull moment, absolutely electrifying to watch ......... Benn and Eubank (and later Collins) was what got me into boxing, Pacquiao is awesome and GGG is current favourite I think, at least until Joshua has a decent opponent.

Coincidentally I was at the O2 for my first UFC at the weekend and was pretty blown away by it - 13 fights, one was a bit dull but the rest were proper entertainment, 10 minutes break between each so just enough time to get a beer and have a gypsys without missing any action, great presentation, friendly crowd and it cost half what the last AJ fight at O2 cost me, a third what we paid for Froch/Groves at Wembley .......

While a great boxing match is great (I loved Chisora/Whyte, swinging from the hips at the end!) Ive seen some proper stinkers, UFC doesnt really seem to have any as I guess youd be submitted pretty quickly if you werent 100% committed to the fight.

MMA is good to watch.

Obviously they have to be a lot shorter bouts than a boxing match because all those blows landing with practically bare knuckles apart from the gloves which are there only to protect knuckles, would see each fighter getting very hurt if not knocked out or submitted.

My favourite was Andrei Arlovski. Very explosive and aggressive. George St Pierre for his skill and humble nature.

B.J Penn for looking like a teddy bear but being hard as nails lol.

I never like local boy Michael Bisping and I loved watching Andrei knock Ian Freeman reet oot.

Roy Jones Junior. The finest pound for pound fighter of all time. I'll talk boxing with you all day long. :) I tried a couple months ago, but nobody was interested. And the dude made a track, and it was good. Respect.

Crazy how much RJJ looked like Cuba Gooding Jnr.

Gotta be a wind up Tom ;) Tyson would have had him on the deck inside of three rounds

I remember watching this young kid called Tyson go up against Trevor Berbick - Tyson went into the ring in all black. Never said a thing. Stared the guy out. Then just brutally took him apart. He was terrifying.

Tony Bellew for me, definitely the best heavyweight of all time.

Jokes, surely? He couldnt put a one legged Haye down, hed get crucified against anyone decent.

Yeah I'm just :stir: ing

Funny how he harps on about being the best heavyweight outside of the champions when he really did struggle to put down someone who could barely stand.

His main point was that he is there for a dogfight and that haye wouldn't have the stamina, while Haye was clearly not in his finest shape even before the injury, Bellew seemed clearly very tired in the later rounds himself.

Edited by TomBorehamUK
  • Like 1

I remember watching this young kid called Tyson go up against Trevor Berbick

Theres a 2 parter called "Tysons Greatest Fights" that gets shown on Sky Sports from time to time, it goes right back to his first pro fights when he wasnt called "Iron" and came from Catskill, New Yoik.

Its terrifying, he just straight rips into people and leaves them wondering what happened .......... but does this to everyone, from the lowest ranked up to the more experienced guys, its mental.

• Like 1