Would you trust.......

DaddyCee

a garage that disconnects your dashcam?

I had a recent service and MOT at a garage and after reviewing the video footage, I saw the car being taken for an MOT at 10:00am and then nothing until I collected the car at 17:30pm the following evening. When questioned I was advised that the dashcam was disconnected because:

A. they were worried that the camera would run down the battery - I advised it wasn't on a permanent live, only ignition activated

then they said

B. the car was in our pound overnight and though it is locked, we have had trouble with people breaking in to cars to steal things (plausible)

However I still don't trust this as why disconnect at 10:00am if the car isn't due to be locked in their pound until after 18:00pm. Also no footage of the car being driven back from the MOT test station or the car being worked on for the service.

Would you use this garage again? they are a backstreet garage, but really good with high performance vehicles, or so I thought.

Any trusted garage in the Bristol area that members would like to recommend please?

Cheers,

Edited by DaddyCee

Personally I wouldn't be reviewing the footage after a service in the first place, certainly don't on mine. I either trust the garage, or I don't: What's on the footage is neither here nor there. Not the world's worst idea though if you suspect something or have been caught out before, I will admit that.

It sounds like to me you've made your mind up about them already, and won't use them again. For me though, I'd be happy to use them again and just ensure that they know you want the camera left connected next time.

• Like 1

I feel I should add that since getting the car back, there is a droning / humming sound that is very audible at around 40mph. I hoping it is wheel bearing but I'm fearing something more expensive is lurking round the corner :(

Was the missus in the car at the time? ;)

• Like 1

They should not be touching the dashcam - thats not their property, it had nothing to do with the repair and it only adds to distrust hence your post.

Mechanics in garages get up to plenty of high jinks, most of it harmless enough, maybe they thought it was running all the time and disconnected it so nothing was captured during the time it was being worked on? Either way, just go somewhere else next time thats the beauty of choice.

You will find that quite a few garages, including major organisations will not carry out work on your car if the cam is on,

If you do not agree to switching the cam off, they will more than likely refuse to carry out the work.

I think that the reason is obvious to all.

The dash cam would only be recording whilst the car is running, not all day as the work was being carried out. Sounds suspect to me, but there's no proof of anything wrong being done.

Some dashcams are hard wired in, like the blackvue so it wouldn't be as simple as 'disconnecting' it. They would have to take the memory car out of it so it didn't record.

In short, no evidence no crime. Guessing from you posting this you aren't all that happy about the situation though.

Any mechanics in the trade willing to offer an opinion????

Nobody wants someone with half an Internets so called knowledge watching them doing a job and then questioning them.

The TV is full of programs with recorded info being taken out of context, who needs the aggro.

If the car is fine then stop worrying about them and just enjoy it.

Nobody wants someone with half an Internets so called knowledge watching them doing a job and then questioning them.

The TV is full of programs with recorded info being taken out of context, who needs the aggro.

If the car is fine then stop worrying about them and just enjoy it.

To be fair that is a good point..

But he said it only records when ignition is on. So not all day whilst they are working on it.

I'm trying to understand everybody's point of view here. They've disconnected a security feature the customer has put in, maybe could have been avoided by telling him first.

My MOT tester used to remove them all together for the MOT sighting that they obstructed view, he did the same with air fresheners too, but he also put on the advisory that he removed items from drivers view prior to test. Most testers don't bother at all. In my exp footage just shows a close up view of the bonnet for the most part. I'd be more inclined to check before and mileage if you suspect joyriding.

Just ask them to leave it on next time. See if they will comply.

When I took my car to Halfords I checked my dashcam footage after. They had left it on, and it showed them being useless and abusing my car. :shrug:

Did you complain about this? Big company that is scared of bad press. Although each branch is treated as individual, its still the halfords banner. Id say bring it to mine next time and ill look after it, but Burton is a trek from Wakefield

But how would one know this to be the case? Do we now have to ask a garage whether they have a policy to allow or deny a vehicle from being checked if a dashcam is installed?

I agree with the above that a courtesy call to confirm the intentions would have been a much better way to proceed.

I think the dashcam was disconnected for the MOT as not to obstruct the drivers view and the garage didn't put it back in place. The camera wasn't just disconnected it was physically removed and placed on the passengers seat.

Edited by DaddyCee

Most garages ask you to sign a declaration when you leave the car in there possession for work to be carried out.

The most up to date garages will have the cam conditions in there declarations.

But be honest, who reads these declarations before signing.

To go a little off topic...

If the dash cam was removed for the mot as it blocks drivers view, would it not be useless in the event of an accident as the drivers sight was obstructed by the camera??

Dash cams have to fitted in a certain position so as not to obstruct the driver,s view and also so that the driver can not view the data as it is being recorded.

It is an offence to not position the cam in the correct position.

some garages record the whole service for you to follow on a tablet if that kind of thing floats your boat. Customers have been known to complain about dashcam footage when they can hear techs swearing in the back ground. In this instance id say it was removed for mot and then not replaced.

• Like 1