Considering buying

Perfect Dark

Exhaust is poorly fitted and the tyres look the wrong size (fronts look way too low profile to me, maybe just a trick of the angle, anyone else??). Otherwise nice car.

What's it like haggling in the UK nowadays, if I went cash in hand, how much could I reasonably expect to get off that 10 grand starting point, assume I'm pretty good at haggling and the dealer is an average dealer, not too tight, not too loose?Whaddaya reckon? To reciprocate, if anyone's interested (and this was the case before crisis and capital controls as well), in Greece, with cash in hand you could reasonably expect to drive it away for 9, maybe a touch less, assuming as described and if it had say, 1 bargaining point (take your pick from worn tyres to a scratch, that kind of thing) to work with.

edit: That's not to give anyone the idea that I could get a car like this in Greece for 9000 euros, or even pounds, no fricking WAY. This car in Greece would be 20k euros, maybe more for the first 6 months of advertising (if it was left hand drive, of course, lol)

Edited by Aashenfox

I spent weeks looking at zeds before recently purchasing mine. My opinion is that this is very expensive. Yes it's a later model and low mileage but still, 10k is way too much. 7 would be more realistic imo. It's a buyers market and haggling is strongly advised but dealers rarely give much off. One thing I'm almost certain of is that the dealer is looking to double his money on this car. He wouldn't have paid more than 5k for it.

I like it when buying privately, and they ask how much for cash :lol:

Finance is better for dealers, more likely to get money off if you take it out with then than with cash.

Tried to pay my polo in cash (thought I would of got a discount) at Arnold Clark but they were having none of it haha 3 years later and still paying it up only £125 a month mind you but annoying being made to do payments.

Anyway that's a decent price from a dealer hr with 68,000 miles but my max on it would be £8,500 if it was a private seller.

Edited by PPod

£10k is about right for an HR in decent condition.

£7k would get you a mediocre Rev-Up or an excellent non-Rev-Up DE.

Obviously lots of contributing factors that can change that, but it seems to be what they are selling for.

As for cash / finance, a dealer would prefer you pay on finance, so if you intend to pay by cash / credit card, don't let them know until after you've haggled on the price.

There is no chance I could get a HR for 7k. I've been checking every week for around a year and the lowest I've seen is £8,200 and that was out in the middle of nowhere with a questionable history of issues.

In contract, this one looks to be 'fairly decent'.

In recent weeks there were a lot of HRs for sale at around this price or higher and most of them have now been sold. Infact, there were around 40 cars on sale in total on autotrader a few weeks ago, right now that stands at around 30.

It comes with a 3 month warranty. And the car had the following issues which the dealer said he'd fix:

• New Ariel needed
  • The drivers side front lower panel underneath the door is loose resulting in it not lining up correctly.
  • A few minor scratches which may buff out
  • Brake judder, new disk needed?
  • Drivers wing mirror, the lacker is coming off.

I think the price is fair if the above issues can be fixed. I'm also getting a mechanic to check it over to make sure there is nothing else wrong.. but the dealer said they would fix anything I find.

I think the key to this deal is making sure that everything is fixed. The price would have to come down if it wasn't.

Tell them to skip a new aerial and just buy an RDX stubby - it'll be the first thing you do when the Zeditus kicks in :bleh:

Brake judder shouldn't need new discs / pads, and might just need re-bedding or skimming to clear them. That being said, if they are willing to buy you new discs / pads, then let them :lol:

I think considering it is from a garage rather than a private seller, the price is acceptable taking into account the year and mileage.

Also worth bearing in mind you will get your 3 month warranty with the car, although it seems most warranties that are supplied with used cars these days are not worth the paper they're written on, but worth keeping in mind they will have factored this into the asking price.

As mentioned above by Aashenfox the exhaust looks a little wonky and is further out on the right hand side (see below)

http://pictures2.aut...e15369c11164d05

possibly down to it having some work done on the exhaust (quite a common issue with the flanges rusting on the stock Zed exhaust). On the 9th of April 2015 the MOT states "Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)". Again, worth noting down as if it's something that you want to rectify and straighten up at a later date as it's going to come out of your pocket.

The issues you listed above are worth getting prices to fix, writing them down and going to the dealership and seeing if theres a half way deal to be had. I'm sure they will offer to have some (or all) of the issues sorted in-house. If they are happy to sort all the issues, make sure you're happy with the fit and finish of the jobs once completed, you are in no way inclined to accept the car just because they've attempted to sort the issues you've brought to light.

If they are only happy to fix some of the jobs, prioritise the jobs you think you can sort yourself EG the aerial and possible buffing of the scratches (depending on how deep they are) and knock those on the head and get them to fix the other stuff.

The key is not to fixate yourself on that particular car if things don't go to plan when you speak to the dealership about sorting the issues out. There will always be another Zed for sale (even if it takes a few months to find) but on the face of things I personally think it's a good value example and if they sort some of the issues out, worth buying.

Print yourself off a few buyers guides:

http://www.350z-uk.c...6-buyers-guide/

http://www.evo.co.uk...50z-checkpoints

and keep an eye on things to look out for, take as much time as needed to have a good thorough check over the car and it's history.

All being well you'll be driving around in your newly acquired 350z in no time! Hope this helps :)

Edited by ConnorW06
  • Like 2

The colour can be changed, the past cannot. :) Definitely worth thinking about if you consider that most Zeds will be asking for a respray by now anyway.

I had said I would never get a ginger one, but then the right car for me came up and yes, it was ginger and yes, it needed a respray anyway. I will be wrapping it soon enough, but the colour is actually growing on me daily. :)

Yeah, the colour can be changed for ~£2,000

Sure.. everybody has a friend who knows a guy. But lets be realistic... I'm not gonna buy a car to sink a couple of grand into it on day 1 without adding any value.

If somebody were to tell me that the car I'm looking at has a dodgy history, then I would gladly walk away and go for another black one.

Yeah, the colour can be changed for ~£2,000

Sure.. everybody has a friend who knows a guy. But lets be realistic... I'm not gonna buy a car to sink a couple of grand into it on day 1 without adding any value.

If somebody were to tell me that the car I'm looking at has a dodgy history, then I would gladly walk away and go for another black one.

Your comment is totally fair, but this is one of the great benefits of forums, now you really do know a guy who knows a guy. ;) I totally see what you're saying though, just being facetious. A proper job requires engine out and you only want really good people doing that and if it's a good untouched car, it will never be the same again, etc, etc. All true, don't worry I hear ya. I'm gonna wrap mine Arlon Mariana Blue. I don't care if the bay is orange, I won't be driving around with the bonnet up or competing on the concourse, as long as it looks good from every external angle I'll be happy. :D