What car after a 370Z

Fred020

First observation of your list of possibles is that you seem to have quite a flexible budget and also 2 or more seats is not an issue.

Loads of options in addition to what you have listed then and naturally we all have our likes and dislikes of makes/models irrespective of whether we have actually owned them for a fair assessment.

So I will limit my comment to what I have experienced and firstly would say I would have no hesitation in getting a another 370, albeit a Nismo version, if circumstances meant 4 seats where not required, and seeing a 370 is on your list.

Been running the A45 for a couple of years now and it is a hoot - as the pro-drivers at MB World said, it is the quickest Merc off the line in both the dry and wet. For everyday driving particularly around the B roads and up to the legal limits, there is not much that can stay with it. Do I love it........hmmmm not as much as I did the 370 as that in comparison is more of a driver's car being RWD, whereas the 4 wheel drive in the '45 limits the playfulness when you would rather prefer to balance the throttle rather than keeping it planted to the floor. I kinda regret putting the MPSS on the '45 and should have opted for some budget tyres.... :lol: One great thing with the '45 is you really have no need to change the exhaust as the OEM performance option makes up for the fact the car only has 4 cylinders and not 8. :D

The depreciation on the '45 is worse than the 370 - in fact with all the technology in the car it is not one that I see being a keeper, for long term reasons surrounding maintenance/parts costs. I also notice that most owners buy their 45's on finance deals, something I have never personally done, but I see the sense in that as when upgrading to newer '45s (or 63's) on a new finance deal the main thing to worry about is whether they can afford the new monthly payment. Would I buy another '45? Well, there is a significant upgrade expected in 2018 in excess of 400bhp - 200bhp per litre! (they have to keep ahead of Audi), but given the price is likely to be around £50k that is a bit rich for this pensioner. I will be looking for a change that at this moment in time I have no idea what that might be, but it might be a year of test drives :teeth:

• Like 1

Focus RS or Golf R - both capable of serious performance and could be bought brand new within budget.

I just can't get away with the lower end of the price scale Porsche stuff, Porsches don't do anything for me until you get into silly money GT3's etc.

Couldn't justify paying 30k for a used cayman when the 370Z is three quarters of the car the Porsche is for less than half the price. A Cayman would be too similar to the 370Z for my liking.

*Awaits flaming off Ekona.

I agree the steering and chassis in the Porsche is better (not that it could be argued otherwise, it's a fact :lol: ) but that doesn't always mean more fun, at least for me anyway.

I quite enjoy the brute handling style of the 350/370Z, it's not elegant or delicate it's more like a muscle car in a sense and I like that. My mam has a New Boxster and I had the keys to that for a couple of weeks while I lived with her recently, while it was nice to drive about in a brand new Porsche I still picked the Z most days over it. I realise we were talking about the cayman but I still feel the boxster is a relevant car to use as an example. Maybe I focus too much on out right speed and straight line performance but I just couldn't justify paying so much money for a car that isn't much faster in a straight line than a Z.

On another note, the 370Z look's better too :D

Thank you for the suggestions. My preference is for nearly new, ie. less than a year old, ideal would be ex-demo, 1000 miles.

Not keen on German sports cars - too serious, too sensible and too common, all bad qualities in a sports car. Just my prejudice, don't want to argue.

Aston Martin, Maser - no, don't want to spend that. Also would look silly outside my 3 bedroom house.

Old cars - Can make sense, but don't want an old car.

Exige - requires own race track, which adds about £ 10 billion to the cost.

Evora - Too tracky, plus I could have a GTR for that.

Jag XJR - Cool, almost sub zero but they are asking Mustang cash for 20,000 milers. No ta.

Jag F-type - awesome sound but poor VFM. They want 55k for the 370Z power (well 340 PS anyway).

Not in a particular hurry to swap, or displeased with the Z, just aware of its age.

Not in a particular hurry to swap, or displeased with the Z, just aware of its age.

A 370Z isn't what I would consider a car old enough to be worried about it's age? Plenty of people on here running much older 350Z's with no problems?

It seems your not easily pleased as you've dismissed pretty much every option within your budget already!

You've said no to BMW's, Porsche's, GTR's, Jag's, Lotus, Aston's, hot hatch's and track orientated cars. Doesn't leave much left to be honest :lol:

I was going to mention the scoob but it seems too obvious, pretty sure that won't be his kind of thing either haha....

If I was that unsure about what to do I'd just keep what I had to be honest. Actually I did that with the Z and drove everyone on here mad for 2 years while I tried to work out what to buy next :lol:

A 370Z isn't what I would consider a car old enough to be worried about it's age?

Doesn't leave much left to be honest :lol:

I presume the op is suggesting in relative terms, its an old design platform, knocking on 7 years now.

Yep he really hasnt left much to choose from, i have said elsewhere, there really hasnt been anything of interest from the Japanese manufacturers for quite a few years now, discounting the GTR and perhaps 86 if thats your bag.

I am hopefully Toyota produce that new Supra/FT1 (below), Mazda get back on track with a decent RX7 replacement and Honda a new S2000, but as time goes on, i really get the feeling most of the stuff out of Japan in the sports car department will be hybrids.

Talking of Honda how about the Civic Type R?

toyotaft1_zps4cd65a34.jpg

Edited by Jetpilot

MkV Supra just looks like a Z4 :(

Lexus LC is about as close as you are gonna get to an FT-1 now (from behind at least):

FT1-Toyota.jpg

2017-Lexus-LC-Driving-Gallery-002-790x590_tcm-3066-833753.jpg

BGW, diffuser, widebody kit, you got yourself a damn good looking car.

Edited by Strudul

Exige - requires own race track, which adds about £ 10 billion to the cost.

Evora - Too tracky, plus I could have a GTR for that.

An Evora isn't tracky, that's why they make the Exige for that role. Have a watch:

I'd have one in a heartbeat if i had the funds over any German alternative (at the same price point mind).

Edited by Sargara

Bit late to the party here, but I see the struggle lol Its on hold for now :( but last year odds I had seriously been thinking of changing (and probably getting more debt..who knows lol) but its hard to find a 'value power car' like the Z, for what it gives you. I looked at a couple of 911's....996's and 997's and yes you get the performance and handling but again, I'm a normal road user so I want comfort and some sort of niceness inside...and the 911...is woeful. Most are this horrid light grey leather, the plastics are dreadful and when I sat in even the latest one I could afford it felt small, not hemmed in and sporty just, small considering the size of its arse. Also for some reason I kept looking at the door panel and thinking, it looks ...flat and cheap. (a strange thing but it seemed to annoy me at the time).

Looked at cayman's and instantly dismissed them for being horrid looking from any angle and same interior issues. Looked at the 370's, didn't like the stock noise, wasn't hugely keen on the design of the interior (quality is a huge step from the 350 though) and I kinda missed the Z bar in the boot, it provides a useful separate ledge for stuff not to roll about haha. I also didn't like that it had no 'tail'. I have a thing for long bonnets but must have a little flick of a tail or some sort. Meh... :shrug:

Looked at some M3's but thought this will be expensive if they go wrong and also there not that special looking tbh, especially inside just looked like a worse version of my friend old 07' 318 d M sport (as he at least had silver bits, the M3's I saw didn't lol).

I even thought about a loooot of debt in the shape of a vantage but realised almost immediately I'd be poorer than a 3rd world country (a service is how much!?). Eventually settled on an XKR 4.2 cos' they were in my range and servicing insurance etc all fine to boot. Due to housing situation and having to probably try and get on the ladder I stopped. Edit - I've also driven my neighbours on multiple occasions and its super comfy and gives that special feeling just due to its size and look. Not the best of interiors but still full of leather and V8, I could live with one easy.

It's def a hard one depending on your budget and affordability towards it, some of my friends think I've 'shot myself in the foot' with the Z for the bang for buck thing.

And just having a gander at those last pics, the Lexus LC is lovely looking but I'm more worried about the Supra....the concept was long and sporty looking. They camo pics I've seen make it look short and stubby... not good, hoping we're all proved wrong with something good looking when its unveiled.

Edited by AMT

^ Was gonna say, sounds like you were describing a desire for a GT and the XKR would fit your needs perfectly. Great minds, eh?

Supra MkV looks to be reasonably long still, just taller.:

f017385e132ddd8ac02d0e3ed119d837.png

Those wheels looks ridiculous though :lol:

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1