2017 F1 Chat Thread

Ebized

Fantastic race today,best iv'e seen for a long time.

Indeed, we should or at least could have had a Force India 1-2 or a Red Bull 1-2 or a Williams win for that matter. I had a feeling it would be "interesting" after watching the carnage in the F2 support race (Track Blocked, Red Flagged, cars here there and everywhere)

Pete

All of them, I think. But that's what it takes to get to the top, they're all as bad as each other on their day.

I like Seb as a person, and rate him massively as a driver. But this wasn't on at all.

I don't recall JB ever throwing a hissy fit and certainly back in the day you wouldn't see this sort of thing from Jim Clark, Graham Hill, John Surtees, etc. That all changed when James Hunt came along :lol: .

Pete

My 2p - I formulated the opinion this weekend that Vettel is a tosser not worthy of my respect any more. If he can't hold his emotions together any better than my wife with PMS, he's got no business in a Formula 1 car, cos he'll kill someone one day. Hamilton's a spoilt brat with his own narcissism issues but he's right, Vettel crossed the line and I also think he should have been disqualified. Deliberate malicious contact in 200mph open wheel cars should result in an instant SEASON ban, this is not something to pussy foot around with.

I used to think Vettel was a hothead in the good way, now I realise he's a bad tempered child. Extremely disappointing.

• Like 5

My 2p - I formulated the opinion this weekend that Vettel is a tosser not worthy of my respect any more. If he can't hold his emotions together any better than my wife with PMS, he's got no business in a Formula 1 car, cos he'll kill someone one day. Hamilton's a spoilt brat with his own narcissism issues but he's right, Vettel crossed the line and I also think he should have been disqualified. Deliberate malicious contact in 200mph open wheel cars should result in an instant SEASON ban, this is not something to pussy foot around with.

I used to think Vettel was a hothead in the good way, now I realise he's a bad tempered child. Extremely disappointing.

Cars deliberately taking other cars off has happened before, Prost/Senna, Schumacher/Hill and Schumacher/Villeneuve spring to mind. In The Spanish GP of 1997, Schumacher drove into the side of Villeneuve and was consequently disqualified from the 1997 season although he was allowed to keep his wins/poles and fastest laps.

Anyone remember this ?

piquet_01.jpg

Pete

Cars deliberately taking other cars off has happened before, Prost/Senna, Schumacher/Hill and Schumacher/Villeneuve spring to mind. In The Spanish GP of 1997, Schumacher drove into the side of Villeneuve and was consequently disqualified from the 1997 season although he was allowed to keep his wins/poles and fastest laps.

Anyone remember this ?

piquet_01.jpg

Pete

I was too young to have a strong opinion back then, but yeh I do remember those events, particularly the height of schumacher vs villeneuve (villeneuve is a knob as well). If they happened now, I'm sure I'd be equally outraged.

Age, and particularly having kids, really drills home thinking in terms of the 'worst case scenario', which is why deliberate contact in open wheeled cars is so mind-blowingly irresponsible and stupid to me, the possible outcomes don't bear thinking about, even if 90% of the time accidents are not fatal or even serious. It only takes one time though.

Edited by Aashenfox

Anyone remember this ?

piquet_01.jpg

Pete

Piquet Salazar Hockenheim 1982 ;)

Slap on the wrist and a promise to send him to the naughty corner if he does it again.

Tbh I wouldn't want them to do anything else at this point. Stewards decided that disqualification was too harsh, so since they're not going to ban him (as that would make the stewards look stupid) and he's already got three more points on his licence (and no more can be added AIUI) then there's little else to be said or done. It's a stupid state of affairs, stewards should've had the balls to kick him out in the first place.

Apparently, the stewards only had one other more severe punishment available...disqualification. Anyway, I'd expect some sort of ban from 1 to 3 races.

Also, some interesting news of 2 new potential Chinese teams.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/second-chinese-team-registers-f1-interest-report/

Pete

After reading through a few of the rules, I've changed my mind and now think that a retrospective DQ will be the most likely outcome. Here is a pretty comprehensive list of the penalties that could be applied.

Vettel's fate is now in the hands of the FIA. There are many penalties that they could levy against him. He could be retroactively disqualified from the race. They could give him an additional time penalty for Azerbaijan, dropping him down the order and out of the points. He may face a significant grid spot penalty for Austria. He may even get a one-race ban, preventing him from competing in Austria. Or, they could do nothing at all.

Since the FIA has gone through the trouble of further investigating the incident, it's very likely that an additional penalty of some sort will happen.

Trouble is, if they DQ him it makes the stewards look weak and toothless. I just can't see them doing it, and tbh he's been punished once so I don't think they should go back and look again.

Now, if the stewards had DQ'd him and then referred it to the FIA, that would be a different story.

The stewards have said shortly after the race that they didn't want to DQ him purely to avoid having any negative effect on the championship and that the FIA can review and interject should they deem it necessary. The stewards themselves have both made them look weak & toothless whilst also not-at-all subtly shifting the onus for any meaningful punishment squarely on the shoulders of the FIA.

If the FIA now DON'T act, they, along with stewards, are saying that such behaviour is perfectly acceptable... at least if you're in the title hunt.

just retrospectively DQ him - should have been black flagged at the time and disqualified. everyone behind him shuffles up the order, the championship points gap shrinks, but more importantly, both cars are still on track for the next race. if it was any other race series a driver would be black flagged for deliberate contact.

I also think a lot of fans would be particularly miffed if Vettel wasn't present in the Austrian Grand Prix, and it wouldn't be a good idea to annoy the fans just as things were starting to get interesting.

• Like 1

Stewards had to make a call, they got it wrong, it happens. They are under pressure to make a decision there and then and in the cold light of day with all the facts hugely analysed you could have called a DQ quite easily. I don't think its toothless, I think its a mistake that officials make in all sports all the time. But if ever there was a place where road rage shouldn't be happening its on an F1 track :surrender:

I've looked back through the records and can't really find anything similar to this. The Villenueve/Schumacher incident was completely different in that Schumacher had a fluid leak and knew he wouldn't finish the race so deliberately took Villenueve out, pretty much the same with taking Hill out. Schumacher was a very calculating driver, for example parking his car in the middle of the hairpin during the last couple of minutes in qualy at Monaco. Vettel simply had a "red mist" moment and I'm sure he regrets it now, especially after he viewed the footage. You know, when Vettel arrived on the scene he was such a quiet and polite guy but it seems that he's just got too big for his boots and he needs a lesson in anger management. Road rage in an F1 car, or any sort of Motorsport needs to be stamped out , especially in open wheel racing where the consequences of a car getting launched just don't bear thinking about.

Pete

• Like 1

Agreed. I think him driving into the rear of Lewis was just a mistake and these things happen, it was driving alongside and barging him that was totally wrong. Even if it wasn't a deliberate barge, he should never have put himself in that position.

Agreed. I think him driving into the rear of Lewis was just a mistake and these things happen, it was driving alongside and barging him that was totally wrong. Even if it wasn't a deliberate barge, he should never have put himself in that position.

He'll be kicking himself too as the rear ender probably would've just gone down as a racing incident then he would have won the race :lol:
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't think anyone's still talking about the rear-ending. The deliberate toys-out-of-pram moment just after is absolutely unacceptable and I think the retro-DQ as others have suggested is the best option.

I quite like Vettel but he crossed the line here big time.