Ztrudul

Strudul

A little break from louvres, but a rather productive morning.

Finally done the Bose line-in mod. Sounds a hundred times better than my crappy tape adaptor and there were only a few scary moments...

Mine differed slightly from the guide (presumably due to the guide being for a pre-facelift), so there were a few steps that didn't apply as well as other bits to do that weren't mentioned. Routed the cable with a female socket on the end into the driver's side footwell behind the padded knee thing.

When I got it off I found a load of fragments of yellow wrapper, and after seeing the rubber shift boot I thought someone had dropped a Cadbury Flake in there, but it turned out not to be chocolate. :lol:

While I had the console off I thought I'd give the shift plate realignment a bash and see if It made any difference. The plate didn't seem particularly out of place, but I went ahead anyway. Not been for a drive, but it does seem a bit less notchy.

Back to reassembling the centre console, it made all kinds of whirring noises when I was plugging the cables back into the unit and I thought it'd never stop. Didn't see any warnings about this in the guide. Then when it was all back together and I turned the ignition on it just said "wait" on the screen... so I waited... after 5 minutes I got bored and just started pressing buttons. CD player worked, but couldn't get the tape to work. Eventually realised I'd forgot to shove a pen in there to trick it. It now let me select the tape, but wasn't playing my music. Finally traced the problem to where I'd connected my aux cable to the 3.5mm socket and hadn't pushed it in all the way. Panic over and all working perfectly.

A pheasant came to visit too... :happy:

Qeq5XPc.jpg

bE3S0rg.jpg

bGn9Czh.jpg

4pmNlLy.jpg

4FNNyE0.jpg

Edited by Strudul

Dip city...

Never sprayed before, never mind with dip. Testing on emblems and handles before I do my wheels. Doesn't look amazing at this stage, but hopefully it improves. If not, the good part is that I can just peel it off :thumbs:

First layer:

WYegJAS.jpg

9mKlWmD.jpg

NfArvjk.jpg

3rd layer:

Zdn6AkY.jpg

yjlvKtu.jpg

ZrsxI2U.jpg

Well the handle was beyond repair, so I picked it all off and restarted it.

xjdVlhr.jpg

Emblems seem to have turned out alright, though it's too dark so i can't really see what I'm doing or inspect the quality... Looks like it still needs tidying up a bit. :lol:

fmtCtPY.jpg

nQN1ytO.jpg

ziI90V8.jpg

qkbiDW7.jpg

rqRoVpD.jpg

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

I suspect that is just one of the old design dips,

if you want to try something better check Ngenco and their product range,you can get gloss finishes that look just like oem paint

Aye, Rust-Oleum Rubberised Peel Coat.

Did look at newer stuff like Autodip, but didn't seem to be available in the UK. Nobody suggested anything else when i asked. :(

Never heard of Ngenco before... looks good though. However, it recommends twice as many coats as Rust-Oleum / PlastiDip (8-10 rather than 4-5), so I'm assuming you'd have to buy twice as many cans?

I got 6 cans for £25, Ngenco would require 12 cans at £106 (assuming the above is correct), which is more than 4x the price. Even if you only needed 6 cans it'd be double (£59). Of course, you get what you pay for, and I may consider it if / when I come round to redoing it or for my roof instead of a wrap.

Edited by Strudul

I suspect that is just one of the old design dips,

if you want to try something better check Ngenco and their product range,you can get gloss finishes that look just like oem paint

Aye, Rust-Oleum Rubberised Peel Coat.

Did look at newer stuff like Autodip, but didn't seem to be available in the UK. Nobody suggested anything else when i asked. :(

Never heard of Ngenco before... looks good though. However, it recommends twice as many coats as Rust-Oleum / PlastiDip (8-10 rather than 4-5), so I'm assuming you'd have to buy twice as many cans?

I got 6 cans for £25, Ngenco would require 12 cans at £106 (assuming the above is correct), which is more than 4x the price. Even if you only needed 6 cans it'd be double (£59). Of course, you get what you pay for, and I may consider it if / when I come round to redoing it or for my roof instead of a wrap.

Yes,Autodip looks great and will hopefully be available in UK this year,at least this is what I have been told when I asked them about supplying here,Autoflex should be just as good although yes it might be a bit pricey
  • Like 1

Is it getting a good coat into the breaks in the handle? I'd be conscious of it not coating all of the silver.

Either way I am watching this eagerly as I may well be doing the same!

Most of it, will get some pics up in a bit,

Doing the other side and front now (handle, emblem, reflectors).

• Like 1

It's worked in pretty well, so you can't really see any silver with it closed. You can see it when you open the handle, but that doesn't really bother me since nobody will see that 99% of the time. I could have done it properly and either lifted the handle to spray inside or removed them and propped them open (there's a special trick), but I'm pretty happy with how it looks as is. Opinions appreciated either way. :thumbs:

DdVpCyp.jpg

rkZZfWq.jpg

d8lzgVb.jpg

m1SVN0E.jpg

H2GJSOb.jpg

rK7DB65.jpg

Well, anyone who's seen my other thread will know that the front bumper did not go to plan. That being said, the handles and rear + side emblems came out great. The front looks shite up close, but from a distance... if you squint... it almost looks okay :lol:

Everything needs a wash, but apparently I have to wait a week for it to fully cure before doing so. :(

pjO1K1h.jpg

Gx4u3N2.jpg

w7QbIDu.jpg

zXrgcKx.jpg

zo6CtpV.jpg

F6lw2IY.jpg

5Idy5ij.jpg

v7CbH0Q.jpg

D1QVI1h.jpg

5PjFKxC.jpg

Edited by Strudul