Ztrudul

Strudul

Got my Z 3 months ago, a Universal Silver 07 Rev-Up DE, and I've been itching to do something with it ever since. Not looking at anything major yet, just little touches to get into it, then maybe some more serious stuff next year, but thought I'd start a log regardless.

Done:

- Stubby

- LED parking lights

- Tow hook cover

- Wiper delete (+ boot weight)

- Boot latch mod

- 350z-uk forum sticker

- Bose line-in mod

- Shift gate realignment

- 25/30mm spacers (courtesy of TORQEN)

- Dip the reflectors, emblems, door handles, and wheels matte black

- Poly tranny mount

In Progress:

- Rear louvres - need painting and installing

- Paint front lip / grill black

- Debadging / shaving emblems - clean front, lone Z rear

- Relocate front plate - L bracket off front splitter to one side

- Wrap / paint interior - probably just restore the OEM look minus the bobbles

- Eyelids - decide between wrap or stick-on

- Mod rear bumper lights - probably just clear out the fog

- Side / front splitters - DIY out of PVC

- Repaint wiper blades

- Restore and roll arches

Plans:

- Steering wheel cover / pad / re-trim

- Replace gear knob

- Handbrake cover + gaiter

- Some kind of tablet install in the cubby (with OBDII display)

- Tint taillights

- Aly undertray

- Canards

- Sort rust

- Burnt exhaust tips

- More poly mounts / bushes

- Front bumper undertray brackets

Anyway, here's how she currently looks:

fa4bf450936cbf5dfeae4d6bd02edaa5.jpg

And this is the aim in the next month or 2:

2c6d757b3b456b490cca3011cc7d5cb8.jpg

Or this if I decide to tint the taillights and dip the wheel nuts:

3696b286b57dd73db4c326b6b7130d7f.jpg

:thumbs:

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 3

Nice plans, did you think about maybe wrapping the mirrors to fit with the theme? It might be too much, I'm not sure

I had initially planned to do just that, but after a bit of Photoshop I wasn't a fan of how it looked.

I suppose less is more buddy! Have you thought about replacing the front reflectors with smoked LED indicators?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350Z-Smoked-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Light-Bumper-Reflectors-Nismo-Z-03-05-/252475177374?hash=item3ac8b1799e:g:UtgAAOSwo4pYNIlO

I suppose less is more buddy! Have you thought about replacing the front reflectors with smoked LED indicators?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...tgAAOSwo4pYNIlO

Did think about DRLs, but not sure I like em. Make it looks like a Citroen.

Excellent plans - I was thinking of sequential switchback leds for the lights http://zledslights.c...0&sort=priceAsc

a bit pricey I know but looks good IMO :D

They do look awesome, but not at $400+ :headhurt:

Did think about DRLs, but not sure I like em. Make it looks like a Citroen.

Great now I can't un-see that... :dry:

:lol: At least it looks like the DS3. There's worse Citroens to look like ;)

When night comes though, and all you can see is the light patterns, everyone is gonna think you're driving a Citroen :bleh:

:lol: At least it looks like the DS3. There's worse Citroens to look like ;)

When night comes though, and all you can see is the light patterns, everyone is gonna think you're driving a Citroen :bleh:

And hear the whizz pop bang of the v6... Then they think you're driving a v6 clio haha

• Like 1

If you're planning on doing the front lip, wheels and roof you are essentially removing any of the original silver, so seems a bit pointless to leave the door handles in that colour if they dont match anything else anymore. Just in case you had overlooked them ;)

If you're planning on doing the front lip, wheels and roof you are essentially removing any of the original silver, so seems a bit pointless to leave the door handles in that colour if they dont match anything else anymore. Just in case you had overlooked them ;)

Thought about it, but need to look into how to do them. Not sure they will look / feel very good if I dip them, and wrapping that shape might not be very easy.

Should probably do the badges / emblems too while I'm at it.

Edited by Strudul

• 2 weeks later...

The best laid plans...

Unfortunately pretty much everything is on hold while the dealer messes me about some more, but got my stubby on, which is a start :happy:

EjRaa9P.jpg

Bonus frosty pic :ohmy:

bzyrIQI.jpg

Also stuck some stuff in the boot poppers and now I don't have to press the button 3 times while trying to pull it up. :dry:

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

All the dipping went out the window, mainly due to it being too cold, however...

"Penny" mod

Originally stuck some hard leather discs in the boot poppers, but they've become deformed and I wasn't keen on the extra pressure inside. Took them out and instead moved the boot latch itself down a couple mill and now it's popping open perfectly again. Much better solution :thumbs:

Tow Cover

Finally got a front tow cover so the grill doesn't look like shite anymore (even with the crap photo quality in the dark)

c616663a0545d8ec0385bc887d12a202.png

Stickers

First letter I've received addressed to "Strudul" :lol:

afJHVKL.jpg?1

3bf9c7acb03484654e83575452382006.jpg

Will fit them tomorrow. Thinking passenger rear quarter window would be the best spot?

Cheers Stu :thumbs:

Wheel re-trim

Z steering wheel is a bit too thin and hard for my liking, so as per this thread, I'm gonna try re-trimming my wheel, aiming for a semi-pro finish.

Watched a load of vids and I reckon I can pull it off, first thing to sort is materials...

Got some samples through. Pleather, but lined with 3mm of scrim foam, which I thought would save me some work. Not convinced with the quality though, seems to distort too easily and the foam is too thin to have any benefit. Reckon I'll source some proper leather from UK Hide (recommended by Royal Steering Wheels) and then stitch some thicker (6mm +) foam to it.

b84a2d5aea686a19bec085c8be6f8b42.png

Super secret special project

Might do a project log for this. As important as a stubby and forum stickers are, this, though a tad controversial, is definitely more exciting. :happy:

Been doing some cardboard mock-ups - think I've got a good idea of what I'm doing now, and will be sourcing some aly asap so i can get started properly.

Edited by Strudul

Wiper delete done, boot weight removed while I had the trim off, some SSS project testing, and forum sticker on and looking tasty (thanks again Stu) :thumbs:

Cracked out the Robot Wars ruler :happy:

vZO0AZP.jpg

J7VJK2w.jpg

DSmdbRw.jpg

Yz5DX1U.jpg

Edited by Strudul

How are you finding the fabrication of them? Spoken to Zakustech about a pre-order myself recently, but might need to commission your time ;)

A massive ballache. Not just accidentally clipping a nut, but a full on Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the testicles.

My understanding is that Zakustech refuse to ship outside of the US and they can barely keep up with the demand over there?

You wouldn't want to commision my time as I've been at it for weeks trying to get everything perfect. However, I am considering making more to sell, so you might be in luck. IIRC you're pretty local so there'd be no hassle having to ship it either.

Edited by Strudul

How are you finding the fabrication of them? Spoken to Zakustech about a pre-order myself recently, but might need to commission your time ;)

A massive ballache. Not just accidentally clipping a nut, but a full on Chuck Norris roadhouse kick to the testicles.

My understanding is that Zakustech refuse to ship outside of the US and they can barely keep up with ith demand over there?

You wouldn't want to commision my time as I've been at it for weeks trying to get everything perfect. However, I am considering making more to sell, so you might be in luck. IIRC you're pretty local so there'd b no hassle having yo ship it either.

I emailed him and made him aware I am in the UK and he was perfectly fine with it. Either way I've not put any money down yet so we shall see. Your efforts look like they're paying off though!

Cheers, pretty happy with it.

Design is slightly different to the Zakustech in a few ways. E.g. the blades on the Zakustech don't go to the edges of the window, there's those flat panels running down the sides.

Edited by Strudul

Cheers, pretty happy with it.

Design is slightly different to the Zakustech in a few ways. E.g. the blades on the Zakustech don't go to the edges of the window, there's those flat panels running down the sides.

Aye, you've turned the mounting points in rather than out I kinda like it more though

Reckon I'll source some proper leather from UK Hide (recommended by Royal Steering Wheels) and then stitch some thicker (6mm +) foam to it.

Have you priced up the leather? I know from experience that UK HIde aren't keen on selling part hides so you could well end up paying a lot of money for far more leather than you actually need!

Perhaps you'd be better asking Jack or another trimmer if they have some spare that they'd like to sell you.